810 users online (161 members and 649 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast
    https://www.courthousenews.com/pries...trial-delayed/

A state judge has delayed the April trial of the former Catholic priest charged with the 1960 murder of a South Texas beauty queen, and will hear arguments next month that a “media frenzy” has poisoned the jury pool.

O. Rene Flores and Ricardo Flores, representing 84-year-old John Feit, filed a 34-page memorandum last week asking to move Feit’s case out of Hidalgo County. They argued that the “inflammatory nature of the media coverage” in the past 57 years has made it impossible for him to receive a fair trial.

On Wednesday, Hidalgo County Judge Luis Singleterry agreed that the ex-priest is entitled to a hearing and set a May 17 court date. He also scrubbed the original April 24 trial date.

Judge to decide on trial relocation in John Feit case 'sometime next week'

http://valleycentral.com/news/local/...time-next-week

Judge Luis M. Singleterry said more time would be needed to make a decision.

"I don't anticipate having reached a decision with all this until sometime next week, but I will inform you as soon as I do," Singleterry said.

If the request to move the trial is denied, a pretrial date has been set for July 19. The preliminary trial date has been set for Sept. 11.

Feit trial to remain in Hidalgo County

http://www.themonitor.com/news/local...7e003b6c8.html

A jury of Hidalgo County residents will decide John Feit's fate.

Luis Singleterry of the 92nd state District Court denied Feit’s motion for a change of venue early Wednesday, court staff confirmed.

“The Court after reviewing the record, pleadings, hearing testimony and argument of counsel, is of the opinion that Defendant has failed to demonstrate the existence of such prejudice in the community that the likelihood of obtaining a fair and impartial jury trial is doubtful; therefore the Defendant’s Motion for Change of Venue should be DENIED,” according to court record signed June 7.

Trial Date Set for Former Priest Accused of Murder

http://www.rgvproud.com/news/local-n...rder/769430593

After being extradited to the Rio Grande Valley, 83-year-old John Feit was back in court for a final pre-trial hearing Wednesday morning.

"I think the purpose of this hearing was to try and establish a ground mark or a plan for jury selection and get this case tried before a jury." Stated the Prosecution.
    The trial is scheduled to begin on September 11th.

57 Years After Young Teacher’s Murder, Former Priest Faces Trial

https://www.courthousenews.com/57-ye...t-faces-trial/

Unable to shake decades of suspicion for the 1960 murder of a 25-year-old beauty queen from South Texas, former Catholic priest John Feit will finally face a jury next week, more than 57 years after the crime left a community looking for answers.

Opening arguments will come immediately after jury selection begins on Sept. 13, nearly a lifetime after the partially decomposed body of Irene Garza was found in an irrigation canal days after she was last seen receiving confession from the now 84-year-old ex-priest.

As years bled into decades, the mystery surrounding the Easter weekend rape and murder of the devoutly religious schoolteacher from McAllen lingered in silence until the turn of the century brought with it renewed interest, fresh eyes and undying suspicion.

http://www.themonitor.com/news/local...6d9cde51b.html

Feit’s jury selection has been pushed back due to a delay in the Patterson trial created by one of her many attorneys, O. Rene Flores’ involvement in the Feit trial. Patterson’s defense team, which now includes four high-profile attorneys, has filed numerous continuances, of which District Judge Noe Gonzalez has begrudgingly granted.

The aforementioned delay will likely push the start of Feit’s trial into mid-October, according to District Attorney Ricardo Rodriguez.

Former Priest Back In Court For Pre-Trial Hearing

http://www.rgvproud.com/news/local-n...ring/809195345

During the hearing, attorneys agreed to have jury selection begin on October 3. While there's no telling how long the selection process will take, the presiding judge says he hopes to have the trial begin on October 9.

Marking my spot here and putting this on list of trials to watch (or tweets here if no live stream).
    Anyone know if it will be live streamed?? You would think it would considering this case is over 57 years old...

JUSTICE for IRENE!
    finally...
    ~~Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain!~~
    ~~We are not human beings having a spiritual experience, we are spiritual beings having a human experience!~~
    ~~Veni, Vidi, Velcro! I came, I saw, I stuck around!~~

This is supposed to happen today....

Tuesday, Oct. 3rd:
    *Jury Selection - TX - Irene Garza (25) (April 16, 1960) - John Bernard Felt (83/27 @ time of crime & a former priest) - indicted on first degree murder/arrested in Aug. 2016 held on $750,000 bond; trial starts Oct. 9th.
    ~~Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain!~~
    ~~We are not human beings having a spiritual experience, we are spiritual beings having a human experience!~~

Quote Originally Posted by Niner View Post
    This is supposed to happen today....

Tuesday, Oct. 3rd:
    *Jury Selection - TX - Irene Garza (25) (April 16, 1960) - John Bernard Felt (83/27 @ time of crime & a former priest) - indicted on first degree murder/arrested in Aug. 2016 held on $750,000 bond; trial starts Oct. 9th.
    Marking my spot purely from your suggestion. Now I will have to sleuth.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

http://www.onenewspage.com/video/201...-Postponed.htm

Transcript: John Feit Murder Trial Postponed for at least another week. ....jury selection has been put on hold until october 18th. this, as a result of the patterson capital murder trial. one of feit's attorneys is also part of patterson's defense team. an official trial date has yet to be scheduled.

Wondering if there is still a pretrial hearing on Oct. 12th?? Could be, before jury selection on the 18th.

Thursday, October 18th:
    *Jury Selection to begin (CT) - TX - Irene Garza (25) (April 16, 1960) - John Bernard Feit (83/27 @ time of crime & a former priest) - indicted on first degree murder/arrested in Aug. 2016 held on $750,000 bond.

Wondering if this is still a GO?! Anyone hear anything? TIA!

I have not been able to find any updates about jury selection or the trial date.

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast