1202 users online (189 members and 1013 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    DA Guerra is showing an utter lack of spine in not bringing this to a Grand Jury. He's up for re-election this year, hopefully his successor will do something. Cases with less evidence have been successfully prosecuted. ETA-just read that Guerra HAS been defeated. Good news I hope.

McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    This case is on CBS 48 Hours Mystery again right now
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Standreid,Was there anything new in the case?TIA!

http://www.themonitor.com/news/local...d0455e9e5.html

Guerra’s perceived leniency could anger victims — notably the family of Irene Garza, the McAllen beauty queen who was murdered in 1960.

The cold case was reopened in 2002, and her family wanted an indictment against the priest who heard her final confession before she went missing. Guerra sent the case to a grand jury, but it failed to indict.

He argued the case lacked the evidence needed to convict. And he sometimes said it bluntly, reportedly telling a family member an indictment would come “when pigs fly.”

I believe the new DA has since taken over now (?) so I pray he has investigators pouring over the evidence on this case. Fingers crossed....I've followed this case for quite a while and hope Irene gets Justice soon.

Yeah, the new DA is taking another look at the case:

http://www.valleycentral.com/news/st...6#.VVNvD_lViko

A recent article about this case; quote from Ricardo Rodriguez, the current DA:

http://advancepublishingcompany.com/...e-garza-murder

“Without going specifically into detail, you know, one thing that was true that was talked about during the campaign (Democrat primary March 2014), was that this is a difficult case because so much time has passed. And do I believe that at one point in time, this case was strong in the sense that it could have been prosecuted to a jury in a courtroom? I think it was strong. Now, I’m not saying that can’t happen now. But again it’s just under different circumstances.”

Incredible news! It's great they never stopped working on the case.

The video is not working for me for some reason. Here's an article about the arrest.

Arrest Made in 56-Year-Old Murder Case

The Hidalgo County District Attorney’s Office made an arrest in the murder of Irene Garza. She’s the second grade school teacher who was murdered in 1960.

No one was ever arrested for the crime until Tuesday.

The former priest John Feit is officially being charged with the murder of Garza.

Feit, 83, was taken into custody by the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Department Criminal Apprehension and Surveillance Team. He was arrested outside of his apartment in Scottsdale.

Wow that's great news! I thought he must have died by now, good he didn't. Wonder whether he'll plead guilty or go to trial?

Her cousins must be so happy about this.

Quote Originally Posted by zensiert View Post
    After almost 56 years, they have finally charged the former priest John Feit in this case:

Oh My! This is wonderful news! Thank you so much for posting the update. Ever since I read a Texas Monthy article about Ms. Garza I was, well, drawn in to her case. I was hoping that DA Ricardo Rodriquez would re-open her case, as he promised. It looks like he did!

I'm happy it's resolved once and for all. It's just sickening that he was able to live a full life when it was no secret he killed her. I can't help but wonder if he left behind other victims.
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

Texas Monthly article from 2005:

http://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/unholy-act/

The arrest is well-welcome, but justice delayed is justice denied.

McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    Hopefully, this case will be resolved but it will take more than just an arrest. Unless this guy pleads guilty, a conviction is by no means a given.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Good, they got him.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast