1249 users online (266 members and 983 guests)  


The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    23,799

    Discussion of Related Weather Info and Regions

    I've always been confused about where Oh fell when they talked about regions.

    It doesn't feel like it is in the west. It is in the eastern half of the country. But it is listed as Midwest. Go figure.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

    Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?


    "Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    28,606
    Growing up, KS was considered a midwestern state - in fact, the ne plus ultra of midwestern states. Then it slowly became "central region." Here in OK, ten miles from the SE KS line, hard by the borders of both Missouri and Arkansas, I am now considered to be in the "southwestern region," with NM, AZ, et al. Miles from here to Albuquerque: 749.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    23,799
    Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    Growing up, KS was considered a midwestern state - in fact, the ne plus ultra of midwestern states. Then it slowly became "central region." Here in OK, ten miles from the SE KS line, hard by the borders of both Missouri and Arkansas, I am now considered to be in the "southwestern region," with NM, AZ, et al. Miles from here to Albuquerque: 749.
    LOL I am guessing your area didn't move?

    Just some scientists perception of where you are moved?
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

    Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?


    "Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    onthecouch
    Posts
    12,796
    Quote Originally Posted by raine1212 View Post



    Breakdown Map of The Regions
    Why is the midwest called the midwest I wonder. Never questioned or thought about this before, but aren't these states closer to the east than the west? Especially when considering the states that are considered to be central. Just a weird observation. Maybe the states' regional name took hold before the real west was developed and just stuck and stayed that way.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    On a star in the sky
    Posts
    7,280
    Quote Originally Posted by Woe.be.gone View Post
    Why is the midwest called the midwest I wonder. Never questioned or thought about this before, but aren't these states closer to the east than the west? Especially when considering the states that are considered to be central. Just a weird observation. Maybe the states' regional name took hold before the real west was developed and just stuck and stayed that way.

    I have no clue, I always thought it was strange.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    onthecouch
    Posts
    12,796
    Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew View Post
    I've always been confused about where Oh fell when they talked about regions.

    It doesn't feel like it is in the west. It is in the eastern half of the country. But it is listed as Midwest. Go figure.
    LOL! Before I read your post, I posted something similar. Maybe we need to rename our regions!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    onthecouch
    Posts
    12,796
    Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    Growing up, KS was considered a midwestern state - in fact, the ne plus ultra of midwestern states. Then it slowly became "central region." Here in OK, ten miles from the SE KS line, hard by the borders of both Missouri and Arkansas, I am now considered to be in the "southwestern region," with NM, AZ, et al. Miles from here to Albuquerque: 749.
    I consider Iowa and Kansas midwestern states, always have. Kansas is further west from where I grew up in the 'midwest' - ha!
    Shouldn't central be in the middle? Or, why not simply divide mid east and mid west and call it a day?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    28,606
    Hm. Let's see. The geographic center of the contiguous 48 United States, says Wiki, "is pinpointed by a historical marker that is located within a small park at the intersection of AA Road and K-191, accessible by a turn-off from U.S. Route 281 approximately a mile north of the town of Lebanon KS." (Been there!) So it's fair to call Kansas "central region," I suppose, even though that's about as milquetoast a description as one will find. (What about the Dorothy-inspired "There's no place like home" region, I ask you? Darn.) Kansas National Guard needs to arm and push east to reclaim our "midwestern" designation.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    On a star in the sky
    Posts
    7,280
    How about we just change the thread titles to the states...lol.. Now I am confused

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    On a star in the sky
    Posts
    7,280
    Let me know if the Title threads with the states are better


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Mid-West
    Posts
    3,868
    Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    Hm. Let's see. The geographic center of the contiguous 48 United States, says Wiki, "is pinpointed by a historical marker that is located within a small park at the intersection of AA Road and K-191, accessible by a turn-off from U.S. Route 281 approximately a mile north of the town of Lebanon KS." (Been there!) So it's fair to call Kansas "central region," I suppose, even though that's about as milquetoast a description as one will find. (What about the Dorothy-inspired "There's no place like home" region, I ask you? Darn.) Kansas National Guard needs to arm and push east to reclaim our "midwestern" designation.
    Oh heck....now you tell us after we built the Arch in St. Louis! We can still claim to be the 'gateway' to the mid-west.
    -
    My opinion and nothing but my opinion.

    Tor:Con Index link below. Will show you the probability of a tornado happening in your area.
    http://www.weather.com/news/tornado-torcon-index

    FEMA's link for Emergency Supplies list below or what you need to survive for three days in case help is not immediately available to you.
    http://www.ready.gov/document/family-supply-list

    You can also purchase a weather radio which will inform you of severe weather even if your electricity goes out. Runs on batteries of course.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    28,606
    The Arch is so cool. Looks as perfect as a silver safety pin with both ends stuck into the earth, from a jet plane thousands of feet above. One of the highlights of senior trip, riding to the top and peering out its windows at the thick brown bootlace of a mighty river far below. I love St. Louis, but, then, I would, as I've been a Cardinals fan for life.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Mid-West
    Posts
    3,868
    Quote Originally Posted by raine1212 View Post
    How about we just change the thread titles to the states...lol.. Now I am confused
    We may just have to see what eventually works best. This is not an easy forum to start! Quite frankly I don't know how I'd name the threads. If there is an earthquake say in Big City, California or only the Florida keys were threatened by a hurricane those will be easy. But if there is Mississippi heavy rains and flooding along Missouri, Illinois, Louisiana it might be a little tricky.

    It will all work out in the end. We will all figure it out.

    I'm just very excited to have a weather sub forum, especially under Up to the Minute forum where it is easy to find quickly.
    -
    My opinion and nothing but my opinion.

    Tor:Con Index link below. Will show you the probability of a tornado happening in your area.
    http://www.weather.com/news/tornado-torcon-index

    FEMA's link for Emergency Supplies list below or what you need to survive for three days in case help is not immediately available to you.
    http://www.ready.gov/document/family-supply-list

    You can also purchase a weather radio which will inform you of severe weather even if your electricity goes out. Runs on batteries of course.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Mid-West
    Posts
    3,868
    Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    The Arch is so cool. Looks as perfect as a silver safety pin with both ends stuck into the earth, from a jet plane thousands of feet above. One of the highlights of senior trip, riding to the top and peering out its windows at the thick brown bootlace of a mighty river far below. I love St. Louis, but, then, I would, as I've been a Cardinals fan for life.
    I wouldn't go up in the Arch. Hubby and kids did but me the mom bravely stayed down on the ground floor coward section. I have vertigo and hate heights. Not afraid to fly though.
    -
    My opinion and nothing but my opinion.

    Tor:Con Index link below. Will show you the probability of a tornado happening in your area.
    http://www.weather.com/news/tornado-torcon-index

    FEMA's link for Emergency Supplies list below or what you need to survive for three days in case help is not immediately available to you.
    http://www.ready.gov/document/family-supply-list

    You can also purchase a weather radio which will inform you of severe weather even if your electricity goes out. Runs on batteries of course.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,755
    FWIW -- I think the term "Midwest" is an historical term, rather than geographical.... but then again we call our area the great lakes states so what do I know :P

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Isotope Regions *Non-Discussion Reference Thread*
    By mmarty in forum Sand Canyon John Doe
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-21-2016, 09:55 PM
  2. Winter Weather Discussion
    By raine1212 in forum Weather
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-02-2013, 03:07 PM
  3. Statement Analysis & Related Info
    By kant in forum Haleigh Cummings
    Replies: 267
    Last Post: 08-24-2010, 05:59 PM
  4. LE Links AND Orange County Jail Info AND Updated Charges Info - NO DISCUSSION!
    By Patience in forum Resource Links, Case Calendar & Time Lines
    Replies: 107
    Last Post: 07-12-2010, 03:22 AM