1297 users online (287 members and 1010 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 606
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Left Coast USA
    Posts
    8,843
    One of the best articles I found regarding Tamerlan and his boxing career was in the New York Times.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/28/us...anted=all&_r=0

    A Battered Dream, Then a Violent Path
    By DEBORAH SONTAG, DAVID M. HERSZENHORN and SERGE F. KOVALESKI
    Published: April 27, 2013


    BOSTON — It was a blow the immigrant boxer could not withstand: after capturing his second consecutive title as the Golden Gloves heavyweight champion of New England in 2010, Tamerlan Anzorovich Tsarnaev, 23, was barred from the national Tournament of Champions because he was not a United States citizen.

    The cocksure fighter, a flamboyant dresser partial to white fur and snakeskin, had been looking forward to redeeming the loss he suffered the previous year in the first round, when the judges awarded his opponent the decision, drawing boos from spectators who considered Mr. Tsarnaev dominant.

    From one year to the next, though, the tournament rules had changed, disqualifying legal permanent residents — not only Mr. Tsarnaev, who was Soviet-born of Chechen and Dagestani heritage, but several other New England contenders, too. His aspirations frustrated, he dropped out of boxing competition entirely, and his life veered in a completely different direction.

    Mr. Tsarnaev portrayed his quitting as a reflection of the sport’s incompatibility with his growing devotion to Islam. But as dozens of interviews with friends, acquaintances and relatives from Cambridge, Mass., to Dagestan showed, that devotion, and the suspected radicalization that accompanied it, was a path he followed most avidly only after his more secular dreams were dashed in 2010 and he was left adrift."

    *

    "As it happened, Golden Gloves of America was just then changing its policy. It used to permit legal immigrants to compete in its national tournament three out of every four years, barring them only during Olympic qualifying years, James Beasley, the executive director, said. But it decided in 2010 that the policy was confusing and moved to end all participation by noncitizens in the Tournament of Champions."

    Much much more in the article...

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    America
    Posts
    21,505
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberlyd125 View Post
    But by 2009, Tamerlan's life abruptly changed course. He told his parents that "the Koran prohibits beating people in the face." He grew a beard, began to pray more than five times a day, dropped out of college and gave up stylish leather pants for sweat pants. He argued with friends over politics, picked a fight at a pizza parlor, shouted at speakers at a mosque.

    http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...5030.htmlstory



    Mr. Tsarnaev portrayed his quitting as a reflection of the sport’s incompatibility with his growing devotion to Islam.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/28/us...pagewanted=all
    The lead of the very same article states: was barred from the national Tournament of Champions because he was not a United States citizen.

  3. #33
    Kimberlyd125's Avatar
    Kimberlyd125 is offline Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athletes.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    16,170
    Quote Originally Posted by Elainera View Post
    Got the sense he was calm and feeling ok. *shrug* Wasn't really impressed by the voice? It was hard to hear over the phone.



    bbm is what I remember reading in one of the previous threads.
    Yeah. He wanted to reassure his Mom he was doing great and eating. Even said he was having chicken and rice. How lovely.

    Wish Martin could tell his Mom the same.

    The thought of this terrorist makes me sick.
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

    Softball Mom

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    America
    Posts
    21,505
    Quote Originally Posted by i.b.nora View Post
    One of the best articles I found regarding Tamerlan and his boxing career was in the New York Times.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/28/us...anted=all&_r=0

    A Battered Dream, Then a Violent Path
    By DEBORAH SONTAG, DAVID M. HERSZENHORN and SERGE F. KOVALESKI
    Published: April 27, 2013


    BOSTON — It was a blow the immigrant boxer could not withstand: after capturing his second consecutive title as the Golden Gloves heavyweight champion of New England in 2010, Tamerlan Anzorovich Tsarnaev, 23, was barred from the national Tournament of Champions because he was not a United States citizen.

    The cocksure fighter, a flamboyant dresser partial to white fur and snakeskin, had been looking forward to redeeming the loss he suffered the previous year in the first round, when the judges awarded his opponent the decision, drawing boos from spectators who considered Mr. Tsarnaev dominant.

    From one year to the next, though, the tournament rules had changed, disqualifying legal permanent residents — not only Mr. Tsarnaev, who was Soviet-born of Chechen and Dagestani heritage, but several other New England contenders, too. His aspirations frustrated, he dropped out of boxing competition entirely, and his life veered in a completely different direction.

    Mr. Tsarnaev portrayed his quitting as a reflection of the sport’s incompatibility with his growing devotion to Islam. But as dozens of interviews with friends, acquaintances and relatives from Cambridge, Mass., to Dagestan showed, that devotion, and the suspected radicalization that accompanied it, was a path he followed most avidly only after his more secular dreams were dashed in 2010 and he was left adrift."

    *

    "As it happened, Golden Gloves of America was just then changing its policy. It used to permit legal immigrants to compete in its national tournament three out of every four years, barring them only during Olympic qualifying years, James Beasley, the executive director, said. But it decided in 2010 that the policy was confusing and moved to end all participation by noncitizens in the Tournament of Champions."

    Much much more in the article...
    Thank you!

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    America
    Posts
    21,505
    Quote Originally Posted by i.b.nora View Post
    One of the best articles I found regarding Tamerlan and his boxing career was in the New York Times.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/28/us...anted=all&_r=0

    A Battered Dream, Then a Violent Path
    By DEBORAH SONTAG, DAVID M. HERSZENHORN and SERGE F. KOVALESKI
    Published: April 27, 2013


    BOSTON — It was a blow the immigrant boxer could not withstand: after capturing his second consecutive title as the Golden Gloves heavyweight champion of New England in 2010, Tamerlan Anzorovich Tsarnaev, 23, was barred from the national Tournament of Champions because he was not a United States citizen.

    The cocksure fighter, a flamboyant dresser partial to white fur and snakeskin, had been looking forward to redeeming the loss he suffered the previous year in the first round, when the judges awarded his opponent the decision, drawing boos from spectators who considered Mr. Tsarnaev dominant.

    From one year to the next, though, the tournament rules had changed, disqualifying legal permanent residents — not only Mr. Tsarnaev, who was Soviet-born of Chechen and Dagestani heritage, but several other New England contenders, too. His aspirations frustrated, he dropped out of boxing competition entirely, and his life veered in a completely different direction.

    Mr. Tsarnaev portrayed his quitting as a reflection of the sport’s incompatibility with his growing devotion to Islam. But as dozens of interviews with friends, acquaintances and relatives from Cambridge, Mass., to Dagestan showed, that devotion, and the suspected radicalization that accompanied it, was a path he followed most avidly only after his more secular dreams were dashed in 2010 and he was left adrift."

    *

    "As it happened, Golden Gloves of America was just then changing its policy. It used to permit legal immigrants to compete in its national tournament three out of every four years, barring them only during Olympic qualifying years, James Beasley, the executive director, said. But it decided in 2010 that the policy was confusing and moved to end all participation by noncitizens in the Tournament of Champions."

    Much much more in the article...
    Thank you!

    Golden Gloves of America was just then changing its policy. It used to permit legal immigrants . decided in 2010 ....end all participation by noncitizens in the Tournament of Champions."


    This was not the Olympics it was Tournament of Champions."


    The rug was pulled out, they changed the rules, becasue he was not AMerican ... as stated earlier.

  6. #36
    Kimberlyd125's Avatar
    Kimberlyd125 is offline Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athletes.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    16,170
    Quote Originally Posted by CARIIS View Post
    The lead of the very same article states: was barred from the national Tournament of Champions because he was not a United States citizen.
    Yes. It does.
    He was barred from that tournament.

    He said himself he quit boxing due to Islam.

    Because he was barred from that tournament did not mean he couldn't box elsewhere.

    He gave up the sport because it was against his religion. Or so HE said.
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

    Softball Mom

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Dumpwater, Arkansas..LOL
    Posts
    5,348
    Quote Originally Posted by CARIIS View Post
    Never heard that interesting can you throw up the link for us
    If'n I can find one later. Right now, I am in the middle of doing something else.
    "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you!"

    The above post is my opinion and my opinion only. Please do not copy and past to other forums.

  8. #38
    Kimberlyd125's Avatar
    Kimberlyd125 is offline Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athletes.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    16,170
    Quote Originally Posted by tezi View Post
    If'n I can find one later. Right now, I am in the middle of doing something else.
    I provided two.
    That should he sufficient.


    Carry on with your other stuff.
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

    Softball Mom

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    America
    Posts
    21,505
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberlyd125 View Post
    Yes. It does.
    He was barred from that tournament.

    He said himself he quit boxing due to Islam.

    Because he was barred from that tournament did not mean he couldn't box elsewhere.

    He gave up the sport because it was against his religion. Or so HE said.
    It used to permit legal immigrants to compete in its national tournament three out of every four years

    he was IMO discriminated againist for being born in Russia.

  10. #40
    Kimberlyd125's Avatar
    Kimberlyd125 is offline Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athletes.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    16,170
    Quote Originally Posted by CARIIS View Post
    Thank you!

    Golden Gloves of America was just then changing its policy. It used to permit legal immigrants . decided in 2010 ....end all participation by noncitizens in the Tournament of Champions."


    This was not the Olympics it was Tournament of Champions."


    The rug was pulled out, they changed the rules, becasue he was not AMerican ... as stated earlier.
    And he quit boxing because of Islam. As stated earlier.
    (By him)
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

    Softball Mom


  11. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    46,371
    Quote Originally Posted by CARIIS View Post
    It used to permit legal immigrants to compete in its national tournament three out of every four years

    he was IMO discriminated againist for being born in Russia.
    He was not 'discriminated' against. The boxing association needed to solidify the rules. They used to allow it three yrs out of four, but not during the OLYMPICS. It was NEVER allowed during the Olympic years. So they did not pull that out from under him.

    If he had qualified to become a citizen then he could have continued. But it was not the boxing associations fault he was not approved as a citizen.

    He was a cold blooded killer. Are you overlooking that?
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    23,796
    Quote Originally Posted by i.b.nora View Post
    Boston Fire Chief Steve Abraira resigns

    By Andrew Ryan | GLOBE STAFF JUNE 03, 2013

    "Boston Fire Chief Steve E. Abraira resigned today after less than two years on the job, following a clash with his command staff over his management style and handling of the Boston Marathon bombings, officials said.

    Abraira had been the first chief in the history of the Boston Fire Department hired from outside of its own union. In recent weeks, Abraira came under attack from his 13 deputy chiefs, all of whom have risen through the department’s ranks."

    More...

    http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/201...T8I/story.html
    Why is Abraira quitting? LOL I read the article and still don't understand.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

    Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?


    "Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    India
    Posts
    8,143
    Just saw on CNN: Piers Morgan "Before the Bombings" tomorrow. About what the brothers did in the days leading up to the bombings.

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    46,371
    My husband just spent time with his family in Boston. [ Cambridge] He said the entire city is very inspired and motivated and have pulled together to raise money and resources for the rehab of the survivors and they are going to do a lot of outdoor festivals in response to the false idea they cannot be safe in public. They want their children to feel safe being outdoors in the city again. Boston Strong.
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

  15. #45
    Kimberlyd125's Avatar
    Kimberlyd125 is offline Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athletes.
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    16,170
    Quote Originally Posted by katydid23 View Post
    My husband just spent time with his family in Boston. [ Cambridge] He said the entire city is very inspired and motivated and have pulled together to raise money and resources for the rehab of the survivors and they are going to do a lot of outdoor festivals in response to the false idea they cannot be safe in public. They want their children to feel safe being outdoors in the city again. Boston Strong.
    Another reason I love my country!
    We refuse to live in fear and let them win.
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

    Softball Mom

Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Terrorist Attack at Boston Marathon #9 One Suspect Dead; One in Custody
    By bessie in forum MA - Boston Marathon Bombing Terrorist Attack
    Replies: 1110
    Last Post: 04-30-2013, 03:33 PM
  2. Terrorist Attack at Boston Marathon #8 One Suspect Dead; One in Custody
    By bessie in forum MA - Boston Marathon Bombing Terrorist Attack
    Replies: 1248
    Last Post: 04-26-2013, 12:25 AM
  3. Terrorist Attack at Boston Marathon #6 *SUSPECT APPREHENDED*
    By bessie in forum MA - Boston Marathon Bombing Terrorist Attack
    Replies: 1194
    Last Post: 04-21-2013, 05:14 PM
  4. Terrorist Attack at Boston Marathon #5 *SUSPECT APPREHENDED*
    By Peliman in forum MA - Boston Marathon Bombing Terrorist Attack
    Replies: 1266
    Last Post: 04-20-2013, 05:33 AM
  5. Terrorist Attack at Boston Marathon #4
    By Peliman in forum MA - Boston Marathon Bombing Terrorist Attack
    Replies: 1651
    Last Post: 04-19-2013, 04:17 PM

Tags for this Thread