Whole Foods Opens In Detroit

BetteDavisEyes

Fasten your seatbelts...
Reaction score
June 5, 2013 at 9:31 am

Whole Foods opens Midtown store with 'Detroit spirit'

Louis Aguilar | The Detroit News

Detroit — The line to get into the new Whole Foods Market Detroit formed shortly before 6 a.m. Wednesday when Detroiter Helen A. Styles was the first to enter this store that carries many lofty goals for both the upscale grocer and the city.

By 9 a.m., at least 100 people also were waiting to be customers at the 115 Mack Ave. store in Midtown — the first Whole Food store to open in the city limits and one of the few national grocers to have a presence in Detroit

At least one hundred others were milling around the tents that contained some of the 50 Michigan vendors supplying Whole Foods — many of the firms small and new to working with a national chain...

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130605/BIZ/306050038#ixzz2VLyVt84u

Whole Foods Detroit opens Wednesday

Market brings fresh food, jobs to Midtown

Author: Dave Bartkowiak Jr. , Online News Editor, dbartkowiak@wdiv.com

Published On: Jun 04 2013 08:36:01 PM EDT Updated On: Jun 05 2013 04:07:01 AM EDT

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...sday/-/1719418/20425728/-/ecmml0/-/index.html

Whole Foods opens in Detroit with hoopla, eager crowd

10:34 AM, June 5, 2013

http://www.freep.com/article/20130605/BUSINESS06/306050069/whole-foods-opening-customers-wait

Interesting. Last I heard there were NO supermarket chain stores left in Detroit. Grocery stores have slim margins, with the theft and all they couldn't make a profit and closed. I know for a while the government had some program in place to have fresh vegetables delivered and sold by truck in Detroit since no large stores wanted to operate there.

It will be interesting to see how Whole Foods does!

DETROIT (CNNMoney.com) -- Detroit is one of America's largest cities, but there isn't a single grocery chain store within the city limits. Spurned by national retailers, Detroit's nearly 1 million residents instead rely on independent stores run by local entrepreneurs for their most basic needs.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/07/22/smallbusiness/detroit_grocery_stores.smb/index.htm

Anybody ever shop at Whole Foods? What exactly is it? A regular grocery store or a new kind of grocery store?

Anyone have an opinion on Whole Foods? Great store or just regular grocery store?

I don't have Whole Foods near me. If Detroit can get one, maybe we will get one someday.

Anybody ever shop at Whole Foods? What exactly is it? A regular grocery store or a new kind of grocery store?

Anyone have an opinion on Whole Foods? Great store or just regular grocery store?

I don't have Whole Foods near me. If Detroit can get one, maybe we will get one someday.

There are two Whole Foods in north-suburban Detroit that are each about a 20-minute drive for me. I've been to both stores but am not enamored with the fresh produce or the prices. I would call WF a "specialty food store" that caters to those who are looking for organic produce, gluten-free, allergen-free, "health" foods, etc. Whole Foods promotes their own brand but also carries nationally-known "health foods". They also have a lot of environmentally-safe cleaning products, detergents, soaps, etc. and a large selection of "natural" and hypo-allergenic skin-care products, vitamins, homeopathic remedies, etc. Staff is well-trained and very helpful. Whole Foods also has fresh seafood, meats, deli, cheeses, and prepared salads, sandwiches, and gourmet foods-to-go.

If either of the local stores were closer to me, I might go there more frequently, but I much prefer the nearby international marketplace that has a much better selection of fresh produce, meats, seafood, etc. - and better prices - than Whole Foods. We go to Costco and/or Meijer for household and personal care products.

I hope this helps.

An expensive grocery store. After those folks see the prices they'll be long lines............waiting to get out.

An expensive grocery store. After those folks see the prices they'll be long lines............waiting to get out.

I carefully couched my comments about the high prices so that those who might want to shop there aren't discouraged ;) That said, DH and I call it "Whole Paycheck" because most of the prices - especially organic produce - are outrageous. Talk about sticker shock :eek:

I carefully couched my comments about the high prices so that those who might want to shop there aren't discouraged ;) That said, DH and I call it "Whole Paycheck" because most of the prices - especially organic produce - are outrageous. Talk about sticker shock :eek:

:floorlaugh:

We have a few specialty stores, again none close to me, and probably just as well as DH and I shop 2-3 different stores each week and stock up on the specials.

I'd like to eat more organic but can't afford to buy all organic.

It is ridiculously expensive but yet my local store is packed when ever I go. I try to buy my soaps and such "cruelty free" as in not tested on animals and it's the only place I can find local to do that. I did notice that Kroger had a few Tom's items so maybe they will get it eventually.

Whole Foods (in AZ and CA anyway) competes with Trader Joe's and Fresh&Easy, but is more expensive than both of them IMO, and a little bit more full of themselves. Lots of prepared foods.

I am from Detroit, and my mom was just back there and was upset that there were no "good grocery stores" left in the city. Mejer is too big to just get groceries, especially as a "tourist".

I agree that the prices will be the death of this store in Detroit, which is a shame because it might give locals a place to sell all the yummies they have been growing in all the vacant lots there.

You'll love it! But they are pricey, my husband calls them, "Whole Paycheck". I absolutely love their deli sections. Great food.

Whole Foods (in AZ and CA anyway) competes with Trader Joe's and Fresh&Easy, but is more expensive than both of them IMO, and a little bit more full of themselves. Lots of prepared foods.

I am from Detroit, and my mom was just back there and was upset that there were no "good grocery stores" left in the city. Mejer is too big to just get groceries, especially as a "tourist".

I agree that the prices will be the death of this store in Detroit, which is a shame because it might give locals a place to sell all the yummies they have been growing in all the vacant lots there.
Mmm, I don't think they're all that out of line with Trader Joe's. I really never find much that I want at Trader Joe's, can't do a whole shopping trip there, yet my friends rave about it. Always get my vitamins at Whole Foods. Not everything at Whole Foods is organic, but they have become a major chain. Have been in the Bay Area at least 20 years. We have several locations and in L.A. All slightly different.

I was at Whole Foods earlier in the week, picking up flax milk. My boyfriend grabbed a tiny container of nuts and set it in the cart. I asked him if he checked the price, and he didn't. I informed him that his tiny container was $15. He immediately put the nuts back. The market around the corner for us sells the same size for $5.

Big surprise! Turns out Whole Foods is moving there because the state was offering a 4 million dollar subsidy to ANY large supermarket chain that would open a store. Whole Foods took em up on it.

There is a REASON no other large chains would operate there and that is because none of them could make a profit and survive. How is Whole Foods planning to pull this off especially with their high prices? Is this an ongoing yearly subsidy that they expect to pay their lost operating expenses?

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/articl...million-in-incentives-key-to-whole-foods-deal

As a vendor of services to WF, they are the cheapest tightwads and one of the most demanding customers we have.

Went semi-regularly to the one in San Antone as it was near the hacienda. As I eat baked beans out of the can (too much information) I was terminally unimpressed (high prices; went for big bills of goods to wallet friendly H.E.B.) though they do have some delicious things unavailable elsewhere, very good bakery, etc. etc. Too rich for my blood though, as they say.

Big surprise! Turns out Whole Foods is moving there because the state was offering a 4 million dollar subsidy to ANY large supermarket chain that would open a store. Whole Foods took em up on it.

There is a REASON no other large chains would operate there and that is because none of them could make a profit and survive. How is Whole Foods planning to pull this off especially with their high prices? Is this an ongoing yearly subsidy that they expect to pay their lost operating expenses?

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/articl...million-in-incentives-key-to-whole-foods-deal

I don't know about an annual subsidy, but it's possible that Whole Foods' location will save them - at least for the short term. The new store is in the heart of Detroit's cultural and educational center. Whole Foods' close proximity to the campus of Wayne State University, the Detroit Medical Center, Detroit Institute of Art, Orchestra Hall (Detroit Symphony), Detroit Opera House (Michigan Opera Theatre), Fisher Theatre might be its saving grace.

On local television newscasts yesterday, reporters were on hand at the grand opening of the new Whole Foods that was a virtual taste-fest with free samples of many different foods, beverages, etc. all day long. This might explain the huge turnout. It will be interesting to see how long the enthusiasm lasts when there aren't freebies. :moo:

I don't know about an annual subsidy, but it's possible that Whole Foods' location will save them - at least for the short term. The new store is in the heart of Detroit's cultural and educational center. Whole Foods' close proximity to the campus of Wayne State University, the Detroit Medical Center, Detroit Institute of Art, Orchestra Hall (Detroit Symphony), Detroit Opera House (Michigan Opera Theatre), Fisher Theatre might be its saving grace.

On local television newscasts yesterday, reporters were on hand at the grand opening of the new Whole Foods that was a virtual taste-fest with free samples of many different foods, beverages, etc. all day long. This might explain the huge turnout. It will be interesting to see how long the enthusiasm lasts when there aren't freebies. :moo:
This sounds exactly like the type of clientele of Whole Foods. Rich, yuppies who want to eat healthy. I love Whole Foods. I buy what I can there, but not a whole shopping trip. I wish I could afford to shop more there. When I was pregnant, my husband did let me get more organic produce there.

I am happy to see new businesses open up in Detroit. Its too bad though that the store is so expensive. When we shop in Detroit, we go to El Mercado in Mexican town. They have all the basics and additional Mexican foods. I was surprised though that they don't sell dog or cat food. I was told that most Mexicans feed their pets leftover people food or their cats hunt for rodents.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back