PA - Building collapses in Philadelphia

fran

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Apartment building collapses in Philadelphia

(CNN) -- Firefighters were trying to determine whether anyone was trapped inside an apartment building that collapsed in Philadelphia on Wednesday morning, city fire Capt. Jeffrey Thompson told CNN.

The four-story building collapsed at the corner of 22nd and Market streets in Philadelphia's Center City area, CNN affiliate WPVI reported.

more at link .................. http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/05/us/pennsylvania-philadelphia-building-collapse/

Highly populated area, building was scheduled for demo.

Prayers for those trapped and for those first responders...

Best-
Herding Cats

Nine people rescued, two believed still in the rubble.

They have a backhoe on scene now.

fwiw
fran

It's actually more than just one building that collapsed.

There was a thrift store (Salvation Army) that was due to be demolished and then an apartment building next door collapsed also.

This may or may not be accurate, lol. But it is more than just one building, imho, from vedeo at the previous live coverage.

Prayers for all involved.
fran

One of the buildings was in the process of being demolished. Me thinks the construction company doing the demolishing may have some 'splainin' to do!'

Someone's in trouble.:banghead:

JMHO
fran

It was the movie theater that was in the process of being demolished. When it collapsed, it brought down the Thrift store and part of the apartment building next door also.

So, three buildings so far involved in this incident.

Still searching for survivors.

JMHO
fran

ETA, now reporting 11 people injured but still looking for at least two more in rubble.
http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=9127882

Oh Wow! Sending prayers. And I hope all our WS members in Philly are safe and sound!

945966_568877983134678_1240750765_n.jpg

942691_568877986468011_2058698653_n.jpg

Here are 2 photos I took about 40 minutes after the collapse.

Dear God! I pray everyone is okay!

Why weren't the residents removed prior to the demo!! Heads are going to roll on this one.

It's actually more than just one building that collapsed.

There was a thrift store (Salvation Army) that was due to be demolished and then an apartment building next door collapsed also.

This may or may not be accurate, lol. But it is more than just one building, imho, from vedeo at the previous live coverage.

Prayers for all involved.
fran

The Salvation Army wasn't being demolished, and they were open for business as usual when I went by at about 10:20am. The store also has a basement level shopping area, the first thing that crossed my mind when I saw this: I hope no one was in the basement.
The building that was being demolished used to be Hoagie City, and it's been empty for a while.
And to be honest, walking by the demo site earlier this week, that building looked like a strong gust coulda taken it out, and the site wasn't 'secure' at all.

The good news: the fire house is like 6 buildings down the block, and police, ambulance, and firefighters were on the scene in no time flat.

I can't imagine shopping and going through the racks, or sitting at the table drinking my morning coffee and catching up on the news and all of a sudden the building is collapsing around me. Scary as heck.

Dear God! I pray everyone is okay!

Why weren't the residents removed prior to the demo!! Heads are going to roll on this one.

I haven't watched the news, but I think early on they wrongly reported that apartments collapsed, but there are no apartments involved in this. The Salvation Army is a one story building, and the Hoagie City building (that was being demoed) was 4 story, and it was empty. There's an empty lot next to that, because they tore down the old Les Gals peep show building a couple weeks ago.
Pretty sure most of the injured were folks shopping at the Salvation Army.
I'd put my money on the demo company being completely at fault for this.
I wish I had a picture of how that building looked this morning or yesterday before the collapse...it made you not want to sneeze near it.

So was this a planned collapse done on the WRONG DAY.

So was this a planned collapse done on the WRONG DAY.

The four story building was being demolished, but one of the walls fell on the Salvation Army thrift store. It sounds like the people were all in the thrift store, and they just did something wrong with the demolition. MOO

Two dead in Philadelphia building collapse, 13 injured

(CNN) -- A vacant building being demolished collapsed onto a thrift store in Philadelphia early Wednesday, killing two people and trapping more than a dozen under rubble, officials said.
A 35-year-old woman died as a result of the collapse, which injured 13 others. A second body was removed from the site Wednesday evening, an official at the scene told CNN.

more at link .............. http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/05/us/pennsylvania-philadelphia-building-collapse/index.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back