835 users online (197 members and 638 guests)  

Websleuths News

Underwater Photo of the Year - beautiful

Haunting Image of Sea Animal Is Deemed Underwater Photograph of the Year by Judges Celebrating the Aquatic World's Wonderful Beauty

http://www.capitalbay.com/photos/347...ul-beauty.html

No other info given about the judges or contest, and I don't even know what animal it is but it made my day with its beauty. It will be on my signature tomorrow. I'll try to find out more about it.

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

It looks like a sea lion to me, but my sight isn't the greatest. MOO
    Every murderer is someone's old friend ... Agatha Christie

Sea lion is what I thought too.

Stunning picture. Thank you Reader!

Well, every search I did came back to the DM but it answers the questions:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...-molluscs.html

A British photographer's stunning shot of a lionfish swimming by the wreck of merchant navy ship in Egypt, and the haunting image of a harbor seal floating in a kelp forest of San Diego, are among the winning entries of an underwater photography competition.

More than 650 underwater images were submitted - from 23 countries including the UK and Italy - for the 2013 Annual Underwater Photography Contest by the University of Miami's Rosenstiel School of Marine & Atmospheric Science (RSMAS).

The winners were chosen by a panel of experts including underwater photographer Nicole Wang, photographer and University of Miami lecturer Myron Wang and Rosenstiel School Marine Biology and Fisheries scientist Dr. Jiangang Luo.

This image of a harbor seal was taken in a kelp forest at Cortes bank near San Diego in California by Kyle McBurnie. It was the overall winning image submitted to the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science's (RSMAS) underwater photography competition in Miami
    More at link with great pics....

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

I thought it was a seal - sea lions have ears, and I couldn't see any on this shot. It's a great photo...seals are so interesting.

Best-
    Herding Cats
    When you find yourself in the position to help somebody, do not feel burdened. Rather, feel happy and blessed because God is answering that person's prayer through you. In that moment, you are God's Angel - His door to reach through and bring light to someone who is struggling in the darkness.

Be God's Light. Be God's love. Be an answered prayer. Be God's Door.

It is for a fact hauntingly beautiful. Daily Mail led with the pic yesterday. Had to click back and look at it several times. Captivating. Full marks to photographer.

Here's the DM story:

Haunting image of sea animal is deemed underwater photograph of the year by judges celebrating the aquatic world's wonderful beauty