FL - Quarter-sized gallinippers to invade Sunshine State, entomologists predict

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Mega mosquitoes arrive in Central Florida
Gallinippers, which are 20 times the size of a typical mosquito and pack a painful bite, have been spotted in Seminole County, according to officials.

Entomologists at the University of Florida predicted earlier this year that the mega mosquitoes, about the size of a quarter, would invade the Sunshine State in 2013, a year after being spotted in Florida following drenching rains from Tropical Storm Debbie.
---
UF entomologist Phil Kaufman said the super-sized species is "notoriously aggressive” and the best way to protect against them is to wear bug spray with DEET and cover up as best as possible.
---
more, with a picture of one of the gallinippers, at clickorlando.com link above

Giant snails, rats as big as cats, giant mosquitoes....why don't any of these pests get smaller instead of larger?

Sounds like Florida is similar to Minnesota in some ways. I was told years ago that we have 2 types of mosquitoes here - those small enough to fit through the holes in a screen door, and those big enough to open it.

Does anyone know if they carry disease, and if so, which one? I hate skeeters for many reasons, but mostly because those nasty little F'ers can kill you.

Holy chit on the size. At least you can see them coming, right?

Man.

Best-
Herding Cats

Good grief.

I'll stick with Australia, thanks! Our mozzies are horrible, but not THAT horrible.

Florida sounds a little bit like Jurassic Park, lol.

Does anyone know if they carry disease, and if so, which one? I hate skeeters for many reasons, but mostly because those nasty little F'ers can kill you.

Holy chit on the size. At least you can see them coming, right?

Man.

Best-
Herding Cats
Article says they're not known to transmit anything, to humans anyway.

I HAD to come in just to figure out WTH Galli whatevers were. :)

First, Florida had the rat-sized, house-eating snails (there's a thread on 'em). Now it's the pterodactyl-sized quarter-sized gallinippers (although if they're 20 times the size of a mosquito, I'm thinking that's at least half-dollar-coin-sized. Never a dull moment, not in Florida.

Lest we forget 18 foot snakes running amok as well. Good luck with all that Florida. :)

There are so many reasons I got the heck out of Florida, as an adult, after my parents inexplicably moved me there when I was 8.

Never mind all the unsavory stuff--the mosquitoes and palmetto bugs, the drug dealing, the boiler-room operations in Boca Raton, our inability to complete a presidential election properly--I still have no idea why anyone willingly moves to a place where, 90% of the year, there is no reason to take a shower because once you step outside you will be dripping with sweat and humidity anyway.

Oh the horror! Their bites must swell the size of golf balls and itch like CRAZY!

Sounds like Florida is similar to Minnesota in some ways. I was told years ago that we have 2 types of mosquitoes here - those small enough to fit through the holes in a screen door, and those big enough to open it.

:floorlaugh: Love that description!

Sounds like Ohio!

I've had quarter size skeeters in my back yard before. Of course I'm in Texas so we thought it was just normal. Good thing is they are not as quick as the little ones so they are easier to swat with my over-sized Texas shaped fly swatter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First, Florida had the rat-sized, house-eating snails (there's a thread on 'em). Now it's the pterodactyl-sized quarter-sized gallinippers (although if they're 20 times the size of a mosquito, I'm thinking that's at least half-dollar-coin-sized. Never a dull moment, not in Florida.

I think Florida also has the rogue pythons. Shivers!

Gallinippers sound like Mosquitos on steroids! :what:

Or.... Texas Mosquitos.... :wink:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member