1209 users online (207 members and 1002 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NY - Jose Martinez, 44, New York City, 22 Nov 1986

NYPD Commissioner Raymond Kelly praises woman who cracked cold case to find father's killer 26 years later

But Joselyn, a fetching 36-year-old actress, might not have had to track down murder suspect Justo Santos herself if police had been more diligent.

Justo Santos, who fled to the Dominican Republic after allegedly murdering Jose Martinez back on Nov. 22, 1986, had been arrested two years later in his homeland, Kelly said.

Believing that Santos was busted for murder, the NYPD closed their case against him.

[BUT...]

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...#ixzz2VweJCOhI

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

I just heard about this story yesterday. It made me think of the many family members we have had come here looking for their missing, looking for justice. I hope this gives them some hope that what they do can bring them justice.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Joselyn Martinez, NYC woman, tracks down her father's alleged killer after 27 years

Beginning in 2006, she trolled Myspace and Facebook for information. In 2011, she wrote a letter to "America's Most Wanted." Through it all, she spent her own money, dishing out payments of $69.99 to various online search programs that turn up potential addresses and phone numbers for people.

full article at link ................. http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_1...fter-27-years/

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1993006

A Manhattan judge Thursday dismissed a cold case murder indictment against a 44-year-old man who allegedly shot a restaurant owner in the Washington Heights in 1986.

Accused killer Justo Santos, teary-eyed and surrounded by emotional relatives, walked out of Manhattan Supreme Court on Thursday a free man after Justice Robert Stolz ruled, on constitutional grounds, that authorities let too much time pass before bringing a case.

I'm not sure which is worse - that another murderer walks free on a technicality or that someone wanted for murder can become a US citizen. Absolutely ridiculous on both counts. JMO

I'm rather confused... there is no statutes of limitations on murder so how can the judge rule this way?!?

"A Manhattan judge on Thursday dismissed a 1986 murder charge because authorities waited too long to make an arrest, violating the accused killer’s constitutional rights."

“Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.” Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sr.

Something isn't adding up on this one. Not at all.

Beautiful Cumberland Plateau of Tennessee
    I am very confused as well...... what I gathered from the article, the judge basically said, well since LE and Prosecution did nothing for nearly 30 years..this guy gets to walk???? Am I understanding that right?

Not so fast..

Daughter launches online petition to overturn judge's ruling that dropped a cold case murder indictment

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1995125

The justice system may have failed her father, but Joselyn Martinez still believes in the power of a daughter’s love.

The determined 37-year-old launched an online petition Friday to overturn a judge’s ruling that gave her father’s killer a free pass because the case was too old to prosecute...

Stolz’s ruling — maddening as it may be to Martinez — was correct, a legal expert said.

“Unreasonable delay in prosecuting a defendant violates due process,” said Mark Bederow, a former prosecutor.

But the Manhattan district attorney is mulling an appeal.

“We believe cold cases should not be forgotten cases. While we respect the decision of the court, we will closely review it,” a spokeswoman said.

more at link

http://www.oneidadispatch.com/genera...-in-86-killing

Prosecutors won’t appeal a judge’s decision to throw out a murder case brought last year in a 1986 New York shooting after the victim’s daughter helped police track the suspect down in Florida.

The Daily Newsreported Monday that Jose Martinez’ family got the news last week.

The paper says the Manhattan district attorney’s office concluded it didn’t have any viable appeal options.

So, how long do you have to remain in hiding to be able to murder someone without risk of being penalized for it?
    Every murderer is someone's old friend ... Agatha Christie

Unbelievable!? I do not think this would be allowed in any other US jurisdictions.
    JMO.
    "If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you have to find the courage to live it."
    - John Irving in A Prayer for Owen Meany

Unless I provide a link or refer to a specific link, all my ramblings are theories, speculation, scenarios based on what info is available and my own unique life experiences.

The problem is he was arrested for the crime in 1988.

If he had never been arrested, due process wouldn't apply.

Darn shame, but that's the law.

No, he wasn't arrested for that crime in 1988.

Article said he had been jailed in the Dominican Republic in an unrelated case about two years after the Martinez killing but served just more than a year before he was released.

Quote Originally Posted by ModMaiden View Post
    No, he wasn't arrested for that crime in 1988.

Article said he had been jailed in the Dominican Republic in an unrelated case about two years after the Martinez killing but served just more than a year before he was released.
    Yes, he was. Read the article in the first post of this thread. It states the following:

Justo Santos fled to the Dominican Republic after allegedly murdering Jose Martinez back on Nov. 22, 1986, and was arrested two years later in his homeland, Kelly said.

Santos was charged in the Dominican Republic with the Martinez murder and with criminal impersonation for carrying a fake ID identifying him as Puerto Rican, sources said. But for reasons that aren’t clear, he was never tried for murder there and released a year later.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...#ixzz2VweJCOhI

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast