1106 users online (250 members and 856 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

OK - Christian files lawsuit objecting to license plate displaying a Native American

Appeals court rules man can challenge Oklahoma 'rain god' plate . (Daily Oklahoman)
    DENVER — An appeals court gave new life Tuesday to a lawsuit of a Bethany pastor who claims an American Indian image on Oklahoma's standard license plates violates his religious rights as a Christian.

The 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled 3-0 that a judge in Oklahoma City erred by throwing out the lawsuit of Keith Cressman, pastor of St. Mark's United Methodist Church in Bethany.

Cressman objects to the image of an American Indian shooting an arrow toward the sky to bring down rain.

He claims the image unconstitutionally contradicts his Christian beliefs by depicting Indian religious beliefs, and that he shouldn't have to display the image.
    ---
    the rest at the link above

The Lost Ogle blog (from OKC) has a bit of fun with the story:

http://www.thelostogle.com/2013/06/1...n-our-freedom/

Well, that's just plain silly. One would think a pastor would have more important battles from which to pick.
    The truth is rarely pure and never simple. - Oscar Wilde

I wish there was a law against being a ninny.

I don't even know what to say... So, so dumb.
    “Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all." -Abp Oscar Romero

It's part of the whole ongoing "Waaaah, I'm discriminated against for my Christian beliefs!" phenomenon.

I've been baptized for, oh, 55 years now and I have NEVER been discriminated against because I'm a Christian.

I think 'Wahhhh' is a state too many people live in, these days. Maybe all this leisure time we have now leaves people with nothing better to do than fish about for frivolous things to be offended about.

For goodness' sake, I want to say to this man and people like him. Go grow some squash and green beans, make a quilt, read to some sick kids in the hospital... there ARE a million and more better things to do, and aa many better ways to be than permanently butthurt.

Ausgirl, that works both ways, doesn't it? What do you say to atheists who object to most every display of Christianity? They bend a nation to their will at every opportunity.

I agree there are way too many lawsuits filed.

Some day someone is going to object to rainbows. What then?

If you're going to jump up and down about this, then maybe to make everything fair, anything with any kind of religious connotation should be taken down (ie. the 10 commandments monument on the state's capitol stairs) and Christianity should stop being taught to children in schools. That way no religious person (or atheist for that matter) can feel 'offended' by having another's beliefs 'thrust down their throats'.

Not to mention, the plate doesn't really have anything religious on it, and honestly just looks like an Indian... which I would think would be something to be PROUD of having on your plates seeing as the state is a Native American state (so Google tells me).

In saying all of this, I'd like to point out that I'm religious, so my issue here is certainly not religion itself. In my life, I've NEVER been discriminated against because of my beliefs, nor would something as trivial as this offend me. I do have a problem with this idiot wasting time and money fighting a hypocritical battle in which one groups rights are prioritized over another's. Surely he has people he can actually go and help, seeing he's a pastor and that's actually his job.

It's people like this that give religion a bad name.
    Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul - and sings the tunes without the words - and never stops at all.
    Emily Dickinson

I'm of Christian faith and have nothing but respect for Nat. Amer. Indians. This pastor has too much time on his hands.

Quote Originally Posted by teedie2 View Post
    Ausgirl, that works both ways, doesn't it? What do you say to atheists who object to most every display of Christianity? They bend a nation to their will at every opportunity.

I agree there are way too many lawsuits filed.

Some day someone is going to object to rainbows. What then?

Which nation? I don't know where you live but can you give examples of your accusations towards atheists?

teedie2, yes - it surely does work both ways.

My criticism was of overly nitpicky persons in general. The world is such a great big place, and life is short, was my point. And there's so many better things to do, and to think about.

I think we're all ignoring the real story here: where in the hell are the mental competency requirements to get a drivers license in Oklahoma?
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion but not to his own facts. --Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quote Originally Posted by Schuby View Post
    I think we're all ignoring the real story here: where in the hell are the mental competency requirements to get a drivers license in Oklahoma?
    I'm a person with disabilities and have an accessible tag myself, but I swan sometimes I think that a "disabled" tag is to warn folks that the vehicle's driver just doesn't have any good walking-around sense. Wonder if this pastor has one?
    Last edited by my_tee_mouse; 06-15-2013 at 12:07 AM.

That seems crazy. I am an active Christian and I belong to and attend a Baptist church but also work at and go to Bible studies and small groups at a United Methodist Church. I don't see anything wrong with the license plate. The United Methodist Church where I am friends with the pastor recently had a Native American Sunday where they decorated with Native American things and paid respect to Native Americans (some of whom are in the congregation).

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast