NV NV - Elko, near Devil's Gate, WhtFem 15-18, UP11310, 4" heeled 'La Fisa' clogs, Oct'72

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
NamUs UP # 11310 https://identifyus.org/en/cases/11310

Unidentified White/Hispanic Female

Found October 02, 1972, 4 miles North of I 80 (Devil's Gate area), 17 miles East of Elko (Elko County), NV

Vital Statistics

* Height: 65" (5 feet 5 inches)
* Weight: Undetermined
* Hair: Blond/Strawberry - Long, Described as Golden with curls at ends.
* Eye Color: Undetermined
* Other Distinctive Physical Characteristics: Narrow projecting noise. Extreme projection of upper teeth. Teeth were stained brown (white mottling) indicating victim was raised in flouride rich area. No dental work was noted in any teeth. Foot size 4 to 4 1/2.​

Condition of Remains
Body Condition: Not recognizable - Partial skeletal parts only - Torso not recovered
* Probable Year of Death: 1971-1972
* Postmortem Interval: 3 months
* Comments: Skull w/teeth, leg bones, hairs, misc. bones, loose tooth recovered from scene​

Clothing and Accessories
(Found in immediate area) 1 pair of womens high heeled shoes, clog type w/4 inch heels. Brand name "La Fisa"
1 white nylon stocking
portion of sweater (acrylic fiber), Blue in color​

Circumstances
* Comments: Body was located by a local resident who was hunting (trapping) in the area. Body was found in a shallow ditch and covered with dirt and dead willows. Partial remains were sent to FBI for analysis but no cause of death was determined.The FBI report indicated the death from four to twelve weeks prior to discovery, placing death between 7/8/72 and 9/2/1972.​

Identifiers
* Dental: Available
Upper (R to L, 01-16) O N N N N O O O P N N N N N N O
Lower (R to L, 32-17) O N N N N N P P N N N N N N N O​

Dental Comments
tooth 1,16,17,32 not erupted.
tooth 6,7 partial missing postmortem
tooth 8 partial missing antemortem​

* DNA: Sample Available - Not Yet Submitted.

* Fingerprints: Not Available​

This is a newly listed case in NamUs. I had not heard of this case before.

I don't have any solid possibles, but I started a thread because this is an early-1970's teenager UID case.

I initially thought Sherry Pickle seemed to be a very strong possible.

pickle_sherry.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/p/pickle_sherry.html

Her height, age, and timeline are right there, and according to her Charley Project profile, she had "perfect teeth", meaning she hadn't had any dental work.

But although her hair is light-colored - it is not "golden colored". And she doesn't have "Extreme projection of upper teeth" or a "narrow projecting nose". She isn't Hispanic either.

Jamie Grissom had a lot of commonalities too.

grisim_jamie.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/g/grisim_jamie.html

She is the right height, age, and had golden colored hair. The timeline is slightly long but not too far off.

The distance is probably too far considering the circumstances. And as is the case with Sherry Pickle, she doesn't have "Extreme projection of upper teeth" or a "narrow projecting nose", and isn't Hispanic.

I agree that Jaime seems to be the closest match so far, but the clothing doesn't match. (Assuming she didn't skip school and change clothes) JMO

Ah, no wonder I'm confused. I wondered where everyone was getting "hispanic." Correct link here:

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/11310

Thank You.....I was feeling very confused and frustrated also. I hope they get her DNA submitted quickly. I wonder if her hair was natural strawberry blonde or colored? Unidentified from this time frame always hit me in the gut. She was found about 8 months after my sister vanished. The height is correct. My sister was not Hispanic .......

The average adult woman in the US wears a 7 1/2-8. I believe 6 is actually the first size that is considered 'adult'. I remember my boys being 5 1/2 and it being hard to find because it was kind of in between kids and adult.

At any rate, I'd wager to guess that the 'average' size for a girl 13-15 would be in the 6-7 range. Especially at 5'5". Although, I suppose that height could be off as they were missing quite a few pieces including the torso.

The average adult woman in the US wears a 7 1/2-8. I believe 6 is actually the first size that is considered 'adult'. I remember my boys being 5 1/2 and it being hard to find because it was kind of in between kids and adult.

At any rate, I'd wager to guess that the 'average' size for a girl 13-15 would be in the 6-7 range. Especially at 5'5". Although, I suppose that height could be off as they were missing quite a few pieces including the torso.

I guess like everything else it is just one of those things that varies person to person. I checked with my younger sister and her shoe size early teen was also 4-4.5. I agree on the height thing. With no torso they are basing that height on leg bone length IMO so it certainly could be off some. I am more wondering about the Hispanic part, is that determination coming from skeletal markings on the skull?

Sometimes I get so frustrated over the incomplete records and the lack of missing person reports on children during this era. Everytime I look at the new age progressed pic they did of my sister I cringe. They had a great one done......where Deb looked a little like we all do......that thing they have up there now looks nothing like her and always make me want to be sick.........wonder how many other families feel that same way.
I hope somebody submitted the girls listed above. Until I hear a reason I am not giving much weight to the Hispanic factor. Strawberry blonde hair in people who are Hispanic is just to rare.....so I think it is important to get them running comparisons ASAP to get her DNA in the system. I also hate it when they hold DNA.....how is that helpful in anyway to anybody. I know everybody is overworked but there are families out there who hurt everyday, who have a hole in them where the pain never stops.....who just want to see their loved one laid to rest in peace, surrounding by loved ones, and safe......especially since we live with the knowledge that death probably came to them in horrible ways. Sorry, end of rant.........for now.......

This child is haunting me.....and I do not know why. I mean unidentified from the 70's always haunt me to a certain degree....I always want to get them home, to their family who I am certain in my mind.....are going through the same pain we deal with daily. This girl is haunting me differently.....I have nightmares about her.....I wake up with my hand reaching out to her.....One of the worst things I can recall about the 70's is all the prejudice that was everywhere. My own mother was biracial and denied it to her dying day. She did this out of fear of how society would view her, she did it meaning no real harm and without knowing....that having the answers as to our true heritage might some day be the key to my sisters remains. Maybe that is why this child haunts me.....golden strawberry blonde/Hispanic.....rare.....so very very rare that I feel as if one of these identifiers are off. If nobody has submitted the girls listed above then please let me know and I will do so. I have no issue at all with submitting name after name. I have become very adept at being annoying since we had had to walk through so many brick walls. I won't be able to rest until I know her DNA is in the system......right now as far as I know she is just still in a state of limbo....until her profile is listed she will remain that way. Fastest way to make that happen is to start submitting......so please anybody let me know.....Have the above girls been submitted?

This girl doesn't seem to get very much attention...it is very sad. I am currently not working on many cases in websleuth's (all either at a stand still or have gone "cold") so I think I will dedicate some time here....seems like a worthy cause, and it looks like you all can use some company:).

I wonder if there's any way for us to get a reconstruction? If there's not one already... I don't see one.

Geography is way off, and the Hispanic thing doesn't fit (but Im not holding much faith in that), and the timeline is cutting it really close since DOE is skeletonized, but who knows.....

Charlotte Loomis...strawb blond hair..looks like a narrow protruding nose, age is a little off but not much, the way she is holding her mouth closed it looks like she could have protruding upper teeth as well. Height and weight is within reason for a match....

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/6309/43/

Age is right....size is a little off..what I find interesting is that her chest, torso, and arms were scarred...and DOE's torso was missing....maybe killer put torso somewhere else so she couldn't be identified by scars? Just a thought...oh and she is a strawberry blond.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/5879/41/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back