1321 users online (295 members and 1026 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

NJ - Cathy Ann DeBono, 49, Oakland, 23 March 2008

A badly decomposed body believed to be a missing New Jersey woman has been found inside her submerged car five years after her disappearance.

The Passaic County Prosecutor's Office said Thursday that a police dive team was performing training exercises in the Monksville Reservoir in West Milford when they came across a car Wednesday afternoon.

The Toyota Camry belonged to 49-year-old Cathy Ann DeBono, who was last seen alive driving away from her Oakland home on the evening of March 23, 2008.

Her husband told police at the time that she took off without her cell phone or purse.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2W7ygMEMp
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...t-missing.html

WOW

It's 5 o'clock somewhere

Yep, that's always my first thought when an MP report says the vehicle is also missing. If the report says where the MP was headed when last seen, I check the route on Google Maps, looking for any bodies of water they might have driven into, wondering if LE has checked those places.

Very sad for this family, but at least now they will be able to grieve properly and hopefully find some peace.

Zoe Bogart is offline Let's not ask for the Moon, we have the Stars
    Five years underwater, that's a long time. Interesting that we're hearing about it via a British news website. At least they know where she is now. It must have been agony for the family all those years.
    © My brain is copyright-protected.
    Please pardon any typos. I'm a lousy typist and an even worse proofreader.

Big Brother and the Thought Police have arrived
    1984 by George Orwell (1949)

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

So...how did the hood and windshield get smashed? I wouldn't think that'd happen if someone simply drove their car into a reservoir, would it?

According to CBS New York, the Toyota was caked with mud and its front windshield and hood were smashed.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2W8eEdnNf
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
    To state the obvious...my posts on this site are my opinion only, generated from brainstorming and my own attempts to logically put the pieces together.

McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    Yes, the same thing happened to the wife of Chicago Cubs baseball player Milt Pappas. Carole Pappas was found in her car in a pond near their home 5 years after she disappeared. Drowning was the stated cause of death after she apparently made a wrong turn. Before she was found, there were all kinds of theories involving serial killers, satanic cults and such.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Glad this missing person was found. RIP ....

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Bogart View Post
    Five years underwater, that's a long time. Interesting that we're hearing about it via a British news website. At least they know where she is now. It must have been agony for the family all those years.
    dailymail is just a compilation of main stream media.....it's usually my daily reading source...kinda like an all in one stop source

It's 5 o'clock somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by tk71texas View Post
    She left without her cellphone or purse? That kind of concerns me.

I mean it wouldn't be unusual for me, but for most people those are must haves.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

I haven't been able to find any news or missing person websites with her info prior to them finding the car and her. Was she reported missing 5 years ago?
    Cindi Lou

Some people may consider me crazy, I say I'm just inspired.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I would wager there are a LOT of missing persons and their vehicles in bodies of water. A concerted effort by all the millions of fishermen and their radar would go a long , long way to bringing some of these missing home.

My cousin Lenny would be a missing person today were it not for a woman letting her dog out who heard the 'splash' when he accidentally drove down a boat ramp and drwoned while getting lost on his way home from a seminar.

My daughter's father-in-law launched his fishing boat into the same place for almost a decade RIGHT OVER a missing person/vehicle.
    Six-year-old Shannon Sherrill disappeared from her front yard in Thorntown, Indiana in October, 1986. Someone knows where she is......

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...annon+sherrill

So sad it took so long to find her. I agree that more water ways should be checked. We had one near my old town where the guy was found in the woods; his car must have hit a deer & went off the road.

Body found in Monksville Reservoir is missing Oakland woman, Cathy Ann DeBono Friday, June 14, 2013 identified the body of a woman found in a car submerged in the Monksville Reservoir as that of Cathy DeBono of Oakland, although no cause of death has been determined.

Cathy DeBono drove off in her Camry at 9:30 p.m. on Easter without her purse or cellphone, her husband told police in 2008. At the time, Sgt. Chris Eldridge of the Oakland police, now a lieutenant, said the disappearance was being handled as a missing persons case, and there was “no reason for us to suspect foul play.”

Discovery of woman's body in Monksville Reservoir brings back old pain Thursday, June 13, 2013 - DeBono’s Camry was upside down in 18 feet of murky water when a police dive team stumbled upon it, said Larry Hajna, a spokesman for the state Department of Environmental Protection. The body, which was in an advanced state of decomposition, was not strapped into a seat and was found in the “front seating area,” he said. The car was found about 30 yards from a ramp used to launch boats.

Woman's decomposed body found in car in West Milford's Monksville Reservoir Wednesday, June 12, 2013 - The car that was pulled from the water appeared to be a Toyota Camry, which was the same make and model of a car that a 49-year-old Oakland woman was last seen driving when she left her home on March 23, 2008, according to a New Jersey State Police database of missing persons.

That woman, Cathy Ann DeBono, lived with her husband and daughter at 4 Manito Ave. at the time of her disappearance. Police said at the time that she had driven away from home without her purse or cellphone.
    Larry Ragonese, a spokesman for the DEP, said the matter was under investigation. He said he was aware of the Debono case, but the body had not been identified.

Valdes said there was no immediate indication of foul play, but the investigation is continuing.

Was it raining or otherwise poor visibility that night when she was driving?

Was this familiar territory for her (was the boat ramp in her town)?

It's said she was seen driving the car away from her home--seen by whom?

Why would a woman drive away in her car without her purse? Most keep their car keys in their purse, so to leave a purse behind is an intentional act...she'd have to fish her keys out of it. But then most would also at least fish out their wallet, too, so as not to be driving without a license--and a cellphone is also a preferred travel item, especially when traveling by night.

The fact that she wasn't buckled up is strange, too. Most people do that nowadays due to the incessant beeping of their car if they don't--unless they are adamantly opposed to wearing them for some reason.

Glad they're investigating.
    To state the obvious...my posts on this site are my opinion only, generated from brainstorming and my own attempts to logically put the pieces together.

Quote Originally Posted by PoirotryInMotion View Post
    Was it raining or otherwise poor visibility that night when she was driving?

Was this familiar territory for her (was the boat ramp in her town)?

It's said she was seen driving the car away from her home--seen by whom?

Why would a woman drive away in her car without her purse? Most keep their car keys in their purse, so to leave a purse behind is an intentional act...she'd have to fish her keys out of it. But then most would also at least fish out their wallet, too, so as not to be driving without a license--and a cellphone is also a preferred travel item, especially when traveling by night.

The fact that she wasn't buckled up is strange, too. Most people do that nowadays due to the incessant beeping of their car if they don't--unless they are adamantly opposed to wearing them for some reason.

Glad they're investigating.
    I looked up the weather history for West Milford, NJ for that day, Sunday, March 23, 2008. It looks like the weather was good and probably didn't contribute to the accident.

The site says the high temp was 45F and the low was 23F. There was no precipitation. The wind speeds were between 5 and 12 mph. Visibility was 10 miles.

http://www.wunderground.com/history/...ame=New+Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew View Post
    She left without her cellphone or purse? That kind of concerns me.

I mean it wouldn't be unusual for me, but for most people those are must haves.
    I would never leave my house without my purse and my phone! Please take note... If I'm ever found submerged without either!

Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

McWopetaz Metroplex, Illinois U. S. of A.
    We also had a case here several years ago where a retired couple left a local restaurant at night, turned the wrong direction then drove into the Illinois River and drowned. Their disappearance was a mystery for several weeks but their car was then discovered under the water. This fate seems to be more common than one would think. We also had a case this year where a man accidentally drove into the river and drowned one night. His fate was not as much a mystery only because some overnight postal workers reported seeing a car with its lights on briefly floating in the river.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid