1206 users online (236 members and 970 guests)  

Websleuths News

AZ - Phoenix, WhtMale UP1956, 35-50, mountain bike, "Barclay", Feb'99

I could have sworn I'd already seen this case on WS, but I've searched and searched under every keyword I can think of and can't find it. Forgive me if it's a dupe.

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/1956

This fellow was 6'2" tall and weighed 200 pounds, with brown hair, a mustache, and a multicolored butterfly tat on his arm. He was wearing blue jeans, a beige print sweater, a red and black sweater with a plaid pattern, blue long underwear, two dark-colored shirts, fairly new white and blue tennis shoes, a watch, and two necklaces.

Also found were glasses, a green backpack with the name "BARCLAY" written on it in black marker, a ball cap with a skeletal cow pictured on it, a purple/gray bandana, a black t-shirt with a red heart logo on the left chest, a red plaid flannel shirt with the sleeves cut off, a small green stone, an AA coin, a hotel key, a Pardner brand 12 gauge shotgun, and a blue Cannondale 18-speed mountain bike.

He was reportedly found in a desert area near 22nd Ave and Dynamite Road, but I could find no such location on Google Maps. The nearest I could find roughly corresponds with the Sonoran Desert Preserve north of Phoenix. There is no indication given of manner of death, whether natural, self-inflicted, or other factors. There's no morgue photo of his face or a facial reconstruction image other than the full-figure sketch; I wonder if the shotgun is the reason for that.

This man should not have been so difficult to indentify; there are just too many clues here. I'm assuming the hotel key was checked, but no rooms were found rented to someone named Barclay who could not be accounted for. Was Barclay this man's name or was the backpack borrowed or acquired secondhand? Why was there no wallet found? I think this man was of at least average means; he seems better equipped than a transient type, and the Cannondale bike is not an inexpensive item. Was he on vacation when he met with misadventure, or did he choose this location far from home to off himself? Maybe he was robbed and killed, but that seems unlikely, given that the shotgun and bike were left behind.

I've been looking for possible matches but, so far, nothing jumps out at me as a good fit. Have at it, sleuthers!

There was a David Barclay Miller LKA in Sedona in 1998.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...d_barclay.html

The only other Barclay is Nicholas Barclay, a 13 year old boy LKA in Texas in 1994.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlK90245 View Post
    There was a David Barclay Miller LKA in Sedona in 1998.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...d_barclay.html

The only other Barclay is Nicholas Barclay, a 13 year old boy LKA in Texas in 1994.
    Hmmmm. That's a really interesting find! Also, David Barclay Miller was carrying a FOREST GREEN backpack. It's interesting that the name, location, and gear fit, but the physical description (age, height, weight, and timing are off). I know this is probably "out there", but I wonder if the UID somehow acquired David Barclay Miller's gear in AZ.
    Last edited by hannah1988; 06-14-2013 at 09:41 PM.

Hmm, that is interesting. I just had a mental picture of our UID biking along at a pretty good clip, accidentally running over David Barclay Miller's abandoned backpack and crashing to the ground with a fatal injury. Probably not, though; I'd think a backpack that had lain in the desert from May to February would look more weathered than that. Faded from the sun, at least.

I wonder if Mr. Miller went by David or Barclay? He's too young to be our UID, who was estimated to be between 35 and 50 years old, but I can imagine a few different scenarios where his pack might wind up at the same place as an unidentified corpse.

I keep coming back to suicide, for some reason. Was our UID bent on anonymity a la Lyle Stevik or Mary Anderson, and someone else's name on a secondhand backpack seemed like a clever way to throw off investigators? And that's why there's no wallet? The UID report says there are no fingerprints available; I guess our guy was too decomposed buy the time he was found. I wonder if the bike, gun, or any other items present were ever checked for prints.

What was this man doing riding a bike in the desert with a backpack and a shotgun? Even if the gun had a shoulder strap, it all seems a bit cumbersome.

I was looking at some older UID cases and came across this one. I've added a map where 22nd Ave and Dynamite are located. Avenues are west of Central Avenue and Streets are East of Central Avenue.
    There are houses There now but you can get an idea of the general location. The yellow pins were added to mark the location. Hope this is helpful in getting a visual of where he was found.

I'm thinking this guy could be homeless. Pepsi bottle with water, clothes in a backpack, and carrying a shotgun. I don't think people out for a bike ride would be carrying a gun that size. We have more homeless people here in Winter due to milder temps.
    The highway just to the left is I-17 that goes from Phoenix to Flagstff.
    Maps are attached.

Last edited by PASA; 06-05-2015 at 04:09 AM. Reason: adding something

Rule Outs on this IUD from NamUs: Edward Foster, David Miller, Thomas Page Jr.

Most likely this is a suicide who took measures to be sure he wouldn't be identified. I suspect he is from out of state. He probably arrived in Phoenix. Stayed in a hotel, purchased the shot gun and bike, pitched all identifying material and rode out to the desert.

Pardner Shotguns are commonly available and pretty much untraceable in Phonex. Cannondale bikes are a little different. They a higher end mountain bikes that sold only,by a limited number of retailers. In 1999 the cheapest one would run $400 new. I would expect something more basic for the intended use. Of course, money may not have been a consideration at that time. Still, makes me wonder if he wasn't a Mt. Bike enthusiast with a brand preference.

There are number of suicide cases here where the UID took measures to avoid identification. I always wonder how they avoid missing persons reports. It is possible that he is not from the US or he had concocted a story of he leaving that would discourage anyone from reporting him missing. He may have been so socially isolated that no one knew him well enough to file a missing person report.

maybe he stole the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by kemo View Post
    Most likely this is a suicide who took measures to be sure he wouldn't be identified. I suspect he is from out of state. He probably arrived in Phoenix. Stayed in a hotel, purchased the shot gun and bike, pitched all identifying material and rode out to the desert.

Pardner Shotguns are commonly available and pretty much untraceable in Phonex. Cannondale bikes are a little different. They a higher end mountain bikes that sold only,by a limited number of retailers. In 1999 the cheapest one would run $400 new. I would expect something more basic for the intended use. Of course, money may not have been a consideration at that time. Still, makes me wonder if he wasn't a Mt. Bike enthusiast with a brand preference.

There are number of suicide cases here where the UID took measures to avoid identification. I always wonder how they avoid missing persons reports. It is possible that he is not from the US or he had concocted a story of he leaving that would discourage anyone from reporting him missing. He may have been so socially isolated that no one knew him well enough to file a missing person report.

los2188 is offline North Carolina Tar Heels..your NCCA Champs!!

AZ - Maricopa County Doe, 35 to 50, Maricopa County, 1999

Maricopa County Doe

Australian woman trying to identify Maricopa County man found dead in 1999
    "Thousands of people around the world are connecting through an online message board, trying to help solve mysteries that have stumped police and left family and friends in the dark.
    12 News connected with a woman in Australia via Skype on Tuesday. She's trying to help identity a man that was found dead in Maricopa County back in 1999."

A document full of information about the case can be found here-> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...MCEttJCN4/edit

http://www.12news.com/story/news/loc...1999/73062510/
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

"When from a long distant past nothing persists, after the people are dead, after things are broken and scattered, still alone, more persistent, more faithful, the smell and taste of things remain poised a long, long time like souls, ready to remind us, waiting, hoping for their moment amid the ruins of all the rest, and bear unfaltering in the tiny and almost impalpable drop of their essence the vast structure of recollection."