GUILTY AZ - Maya Koistinen, 6 days, smothered, Phoenix, 8 April 2013

Tonya421

Reaction score
Phoenix police have arrested a 36-year-old mother of nine on suspicion of first-degree murder in the suffocation death of her newborn daughter.

At this point, nothing seemed out of the ordinary," Thompson said. "The information the officers received initially was that the mother had taken some medication and had fallen asleep."

According to the police report, an autopsy found signs of possible suffocation.

But a review of past Child Protective Services records indicated Maya's death might not have been an accident.

http://www.kptv.com/story/22089722/woman-arrested-in-suffocation-death-of-6-day-old-daughter

Police said Nina Koistinen told them she smothered Maya because she thought she had too many children and that she was jealous of the attention her husband was giving the newborn.

There is a solution for having too many children. It's called birth control. Per the husband, they tried for years and years to manage her mental illness? It never occurred to him to use birth control?
Boggles the mind.

O.M.G. Did you read that story? There are no words. So many failed that baby. Nine children and she is bipolar, schizophrenic and suffers from depression, not to mention saying things about hurting her children and an intentional car accident. And yet no one intervened and her husband kept getting her pregnant. Reminds me so much of Andrea Yates. RIP baby Maya.

Andrea Yates came to mind instantly as well as "Quiverfull". I notice she's also in AZ and I wonder if Mormonism played a role.

This husband should be the one in jail, and the mother should be hospitalized for mental health treatment.

This enrages me. :furious: Like others, it seems like a repeat of Andrea Yates' situation. Why is this man continuing to impregnate this woman, knowing she has uncontrolled medical conditions?! Did no one get her help, or even try t have her committed, after the accident that is suspected to have been intentional? After the talk of wanting to suffocate some of the kids? :banghead:

A special thanks to poster jjenny, for asking why the HUSBAND, knowing of his wife's mental conditions, did not use birth control.

Omg... Quote from lay pastor of their church (from here: http://www.kpho.com/story/22102615/ex-member-pll-church-has-blood-on-its-hands )

CBS 5 News spoke with Jurmu at his home Sunday evening.

He did not want to talk on camera.

But, he told CBS 5 News: "God created Nina with her mental illness. He gave her all the children she could bear. And if she couldn't handle more kids, God would've closed her womb."

:furious: :furious: :furious: :furious: :furious:

Huh? Suffocating babies is able to handle them?

If he realizes that God gave her the mental illness, then logically, he would know that God also gave certain people (doctors) talents and skills to help her handle the mental illness!
:banghead:

Whenever people use the will of deities as an excuse for something like this, I notice they stop the chain of logic wherever it seems most convenient.

O.M.G. Did you read that story? There are no words. So many failed that baby. Nine children and she is bipolar, schizophrenic and suffers from depression, not to mention saying things about hurting her children and an intentional car accident. And yet no one intervened and her husband kept getting her pregnant. Reminds me so much of Andrea Yates. RIP baby Maya.

Ditto. First thing I thought of was Rusty Yates....

Such a sad situation. I don't feel sorry for the dad in this case.

Andrea Yates came to mind instantly as well as "Quiverfull". I notice she's also in AZ and I wonder if Mormonism played a role.

Quiverfull movement and Mormonism are two different things.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Ooohhh look. Apparently this family is part of a vey conservative sect of Christianity that pushes for big families:

http://childfriendlyfaith.org/2013/04/more-than-she-could-bear/#more-970

Women need to R U N from these patriarchal, nutcase religions.

Whatever someone wants to worship is fine by me. Plenty of people-women included-do ok in "patriarchal nutcase religions." If they are happy, no one needs to judge.
This woman did not fare well. That does not mean all women with similar beliefs would not fare well. I have met many in my years as a homeschooling mom, and while I don't ascribe to the same beliefs I found the majority to be decent people. I don't disagree with the issues beliefs like this can raise. I just don't see a reason to criticize any and all women who.choose this belief set.
Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

I didn't criticize the women in these sects - I said they need to run away from them. :twocents:

I don't care what deity people choose to believe/worship; if someone wants to worship the Popeyes' Chicken sign, that's fine by me, but quit hurting/killing your kids in the name of your religion

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back