Canadian couple who accidentally dug up skeleton face $5000 archaeology bill

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Couple who found 400-year-old Native American skeleton in their backyard
left with $5,000 bill - because they had to pay for archaeologist to look at it

Earlier this month, while digging holes for a new fence at their home in Sarnia, Canada, couple Ken Campbell and Nicole Sauve found the remains of a 400-year-old Native American woman.
---
According to local law, Sauve and Campbell are responsible as the property owners to pay for the archeological assessment of any human remains found on their land.
---
Sauve, who believes she was just doing the right thing by the skeleton, is confused why she is now saddled with the bill - and scared for what it means for those in the future who find remains on their property.

'God forbid you have a murder victim, and you cover them up. Never will that person be brought home; never will their family have closure,' Sauve told The Toronto Star.

Several groups in the area are doing their best to make sure Sauve isn't stuck with the bill.
---
An archaeologist estimated that the bones belonged to a Native American woman from the 1500s or early 1600s and that she was about 24-years-old when she died.
---
Archaeologists finished their investigation last Tuesday, and the remains were moved to a cemetery on the Aamjiwnaany First Nation.
---
much more, with pictures, at Sunday Mail link above

Interesting, how can they not see the obvious problems that this will cause?

I'm guessing that the law was put in place as a means to enforce diligence on the part of contractors attempting large building projects over a significant area of land, who might barge on ahead instead of contacting archaeologists and historians to estimate the chances of significant gravesites being discovered on that land.

I'm guessing that the law was put in place as a means to enforce diligence on the part of contractors attempting large building projects over a significant area of land, who might barge on ahead instead of contacting archaeologists and historians to estimate the chances of significant gravesites being discovered on that land.

If they'd be charged for doing so, how would that help? :waitasec:

If they'd be charged for doing so, how would that help? :waitasec:
The government or tribe (or both) would then assume financial responsibility for removal of the bodies - if the project were allowed to continue. (The stiff per-body penalty would act as a deterrent against the contractor barging ahead without the due diligence.)

The government or tribe (or both) would then assume financial responsibility for removal of the bodies - if the project were allowed to continue. (The stiff per-body penalty would act as a deterrent against the contractor barging ahead without the due diligence.)

I thought the charge was only if an archeologist was brought in. Why isn't this couple's bill being paid for by the native tribe?

I thought the charge was only if an archeologist was brought in. Why isn't this couple's bill being paid for by the native tribe?
If bodies were dug up at the site and state and tribal authorities had not been notified - bang! $5000 a body, if someone turns 'em in. Adds up to quite a fine, deters scofflaws operating wide.

The Aamjiwnaany tribe is actually raising funds in order to deter or pay this couple's charges.

You are all missing the point.

The biggest point is...

How long until the haunting begins?

But seriously. This is such a mind boggling ridiculous law that I can only shake my head (and wait for the ghostie to appear).

Best-
Herding Cats

This has been the way for a long time. Any achaeological bones will likely NOT be reported and thrown out ASAP because of these regulations. This person as a private owner of the property did the right thing. Huge real estate corporations have been digging up and zoning out Southern Ontario and we only ever hear about some instances on some archaeological finds. I don't think they disclose everything either. JMO

The biggest point is...

But seriously. This is such a mind boggling ridiculous law that I can only shake my head (and wait for the ghostie to appear).

Best-
Herding Cats

:ghost:

The biggest point is...

Best-
Herding Cats

I like how you think, Herding Cats!

:thumb: :ghost: :mummy: :thumb:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members