Google hopes to wipe child *advertiser censored* from the web

Yoda

Master
Reaction score
This. This right here gives me hope. It's not something Google has to do, but they know it is the right thing. They can save hundreds and possibly thousands of children.

Google's plan is to build a database of child *advertiser censored* images that will let these groups (LE, tech companies,etc) swap information, collaborate, and remove the images from the Web.
"Part of the technology behind this database comes from a technique Google already uses called "hashing," which tags images showing sexual abuse of children with a unique identification code. Computers can recognize the code and then locate, block, and report all duplicate images on the Web. Google plans to have the database up and running within a year."

"Google also announced Saturday that it is donating $5 million to fight child *advertiser censored*. The money will be split up between global child protection organizations like the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children and the Internet Watch Foundation, and Google's own Child Protection Technology Fund."

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57...ipe-child-*advertiser censored*-from-the-web/

Thanks for posting this....great news!

I love when mega multi billion dollar companies do stuff for the good of mankind... I've only ever used google as a search engine... And now I'll continue to only ever use them knowing that they plan to rid the web of child *advertiser censored* :)

Yay google!!

This. This right here gives me hope. It's not something Google has to do, but they know it is the right thing. They can save hundreds and possibly thousands of children.

Google's plan is to build a database of child *advertiser censored* images that will let these groups (LE, tech companies,etc) swap information, collaborate, and remove the images from the Web.
"Part of the technology behind this database comes from a technique Google already uses called "hashing," which tags images showing sexual abuse of children with a unique identification code. Computers can recognize the code and then locate, block, and report all duplicate images on the Web. Google plans to have the database up and running within a year."

"Google also announced Saturday that it is donating $5 million to fight child *advertiser censored*. The money will be split up between global child protection organizations like the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children and the Internet Watch Foundation, and Google's own Child Protection Technology Fund."

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57...ipe-child-*advertiser censored*-from-the-web/

I understand that this is supposed to be a good thing, but....this database of images...are the actual photos going to be shared or some associated identifying information that can be used to zap the images when found elsewhere? Ya'll help me out here, please. TIA!

This is AMAZING! Thank you Google!!!

15 or 20 years ago this may have been a great idea as back then most images and content WERE on websites.

These days that is no longer the case, with peer to peer file sharing nobody with a brain would post images or other illegal content to a website (it is too easily to track it back to the owner). If someone wants cracked software or movies (or other not so legal content) they use software to access the shared files from hundreds of other private PCs anonymously.

Sounds like good PR for Google! Now that 99.9% of child *advertiser censored* is NO LONGER on the "web" (i.e. actual websites) they can announce their great plan and take all of the credit for erradicating it! Sheesh they could come out with a study in a year showing that their plan has worked amazing well!

Atleast they are trying! Nothing will stop child endangerment, but don't make it easy!!!
Everyone needs to help wipe out *advertiser censored*, drugs etc!

Atleast they are trying! Nothing will stop child endangerment, but don't make it easy!!!
Everyone needs to help wipe out *advertiser censored*, drugs etc!

Google has had a LOT of really bad press the last year or so due to their horrid new "no privacy policy". Six European countries are currently filing charges/lawsuits against them.

To me this token bs effort to "wipe CP from the web now 99% of it is already gone" sounds like spin to fool the masses.

I'm troubled by the idea of Google (or anyone other than LE) having a database of child *advertiser censored* images. I would think that since it is illegal to possess these images, having such a database would be a major legal liability for them.

I'm troubled by the idea of Google (or anyone other than LE) having a database of child *advertiser censored* images. I would think that since it is illegal to possess these images, having such a database would be a major legal liability for them.

I doubt if they are keeping the actual images, they are likely storing the hash codes and quite possibly getting that info from LE.

This.

And I'm wanting to know who will have access to those images. IMO by having the database, the children depicted in those images are being victimized further each time someone has access to them. So while this is being touted as a "good thing," I'm not convinced this is the way to go about helping the problem. Not convinced at all.

I doubt if they are keeping the actual images, they are likely storing the hash codes and quite possibly getting that info from LE.

Thank you. That is what I was asking in my first post. But even still, can those codes not be used to replicate the images if they fall into nefarious hands?

Photos and videos of child *advertiser censored* on the Web have multiplied at an alarming rate over the past few years. In 2011, the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children said it received 17.3 million images and videos of suspected child abuse, which is four times more than 2007.

I think they need to spend as much as is necessary to eradicate it as quickly and as thoroughly as possible. $5 million is a good start, but IMHO no where near enough.

17.3 million images and videos - that is just unacceptable.

Thank you. That is what I was asking in my first post. But even still, can those codes not be used to replicate the images if they fall into nefarious hands?

No the codes can't replicate the image. The codes identify the file and the changes made to it which means if the same hash code appeared in 100 places on the web it would be obvious it was in fact the same image.

In crude terms if you created a pick called happy_face_234nmz934.jpg and uploaded that pic to several different websites (using the same file name) and folks put that file name in a search engine they would get results saying it was found on the following websites. You couldn't use the file name to "reproduce" the image BUT it would help you find the same image on the web. Hash codes are more sophisticated but it is still the same idea.

No the codes can't replicate the image. The codes identify the file and the changes made to it which means if the same hash code appeared in 100 places on the web it would be obvious it was in fact the same image.

In crude terms if you created a pick called happy_face_234nmz934.jpg and uploaded that pic to several different websites (using the same file name) then folks could google the file name and find the pic on various websites. You couldn't use the file name to "reproduce" the image BUT it would help you find the same image on the web. Hash codes are more sophisticated but it is still the same idea.

Thank you! That makes me feel much better about this effort. So yeah, put me in the track-down-those-codes-and-zap-'em column! :)

I would hope that is the case, but the article implies that they have a database of the images and that it is Google that assigns the hash codes to suspect images. Someone somewhere has to be reviewing the images if they are assigning codes to them based on content.

I f there is a database that can identfy illegal images, couldn't they remove them from the search engine results?

In addition, to their own database Google is looking for other ideas, setting up a $2 million fund to incentivize the development of more effective tools for screening child *advertiser censored* and keeping it off the Internet. As someone who uses the Internet like, way too much everyday, it’s nice to know that the big dogs on the block are doing their part to clean up the neighborhood.
http://www.geekosystem.com/google-anti-child-*advertiser censored*-algorithm/

Saying the Internet as a whole needs to work together as a community to attack the problem of child *advertiser censored*, Google is working with other tech firms to handle the hardware and software side of this battle. Part of this includes a large database that other parties can use to identify child *advertiser censored* and even remove it from the web.

The company says it has been tagging known pictures of child sexual abuse since 2008, allowing the search giant to hunt down any duplicate images lying around the Internet. Rather than dedicate a staff of watchdogs to find multiple instances of these vile pictures, the hashing technology used to tag these pictures attaches a unique ID to each offending image, allowing its computers to scour the web unmonitored. The new cross-industry database will build on existing stores of data and allow other organizations to add and delete instances of these images elsewhere online. As a part of its $5 million effort, Google will be creating a $2 million Child Protection Technology Fund to help further develop effective tools to find and delete child *advertiser censored*.
http://www.redorbit.com/news/techno...nsored*-attacked-by-google-government-061713/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cariboucampfire73
Back