Cutting-edge facial reconstruction project points to future hope in identifying UIDs

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Good stuff. Yes, this was a special project, yes, the techniques used in it were both expensive and time-consuming. But yes - in the future techniques like these, streamlined and at lesser cost, might be the status quo.

Revealed: How the face of one of Henry VIII's archers who drowned on the Mary Rose was painstakingly reconstructed.(Daily Mail)
British scientists have revealed how they reconstructed the face of one of Henry VIII’s elite archers who drowned when the Mary Rose sank in 1545.

The team from Swansea University worked with a Swedish expert, Oscar Nilsson, to reconstruct the face of the man.
---
Nick Owen, a sport and exercise biomechanist at the College of Engineering, explained steps involved in producing the reconstruction:

‘The key objective was to produce a replica of the skull, but without damaging it.

‘First we scanned the original skull using a 3D laser scanner. This gave us an exact three-dimensional virtual replica of the skull.

‘The computer image was then given to Swansea University’s ASTUTE group to “print” an exact copy of the skull, using a 3D printer. The group normally use this type of technology to develop rapid prototypes of new products for companies. Printing took 48 hours altogether.

‘We then gave the 3D copy of the skull to Oscar Nilsson, an expert in facial reconstruction. Using his expertise in forensics, his knowledge of anatomy and tissue depth, and his artistic abilities, he was able to build up the face muscle by muscle.
---
‘Thanks to 21st century technology and expertise, we can bring him vividly back to life, and understand more about his world.’
---
much more, with pictures and a sidebar, at the link above

Good stuff. Yes, this was a special project, yes, the techniques used in it were both expensive and time-consuming. But yes - in the future techniques like these, streamlined and at lesser cost, might be the status quo.

Revealed: How the face of one of Henry VIII's archers who drowned on the Mary Rose was painstakingly reconstructed.(Daily Mail)

much more, with pictures and a sidebar, at the link above
I expect someday they will take the 3-D scan and use computer modeling to build up the muscles, fat layers, and skin to make the reconstruction. Then they will be able to 3-D print the completed face!

The story of the Mary Rose is also pretty cool. Every time I follow one of your links to the Daily Mail I end up reading 10 other articles (mostly trashy celebrity stuff that I don't even care about so why do i read it?)

The story of the Mary Rose is also pretty cool. Every time I follow one of your links to the Daily Mail I end up reading 10 other articles (mostly trashy celebrity stuff that I don't even care about so why do i read it?)
Yep. Me too. DM links should carry a warning. I now know the stories of a troubling many UK Z-list "stars." WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE?? I could volunteer to go in solo ("No, stand back, let me go - you have no idea what's down there. It's - it's sheer hell sometimes") but then a link-click and people still would see the scurrious stuff on the right of the page!

Here's the Wiki page on the Mary Rose.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cricketcms