1085 users online (191 members and 894 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Robotic cat -Search and Rescue

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/201...missions-video

Researchers have invented a fast, cat-like robot that could be a prototype for fleet-footed search-and-rescue robots.

The new robot is not only fast its also light and stable, and researchers hope that later versions will go on to be used in exploration and search-and-rescue missions.

more at link, including video

Awesome!
    JMO

Ah, a hairless cat

Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

I wonder if you can have one in a "no pets" allowed apartment?

Quote Originally Posted by Paintr View Post
    http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/201...missions-video

Researchers have invented a fast, cat-like robot that could be a prototype for fleet-footed search-and-rescue robots.

The new robot is not only fast its also light and stable, and researchers hope that later versions will go on to be used in exploration and search-and-rescue missions.

more at link, including video

Awesome!
    "...exploration and search-and-rescue missions..." when and if the cat-like robots decide to in their own good time, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by my_tee_mouse View Post
    "...exploration and search-and-rescue missions..." when and if the cat-like robots decide to in their own good time, of course.
    They only work 4 hours a day and have to be recharged often.

Wish they had given it a head tho.
    JMO

No offense, but if I'm covered in rubble from a recent building collapse. The last thing I want to see is some sort of fake cathead looking at me.

[Nods at Steely]

With those big, glowing, scary eyes! Those are hard enough to take when you're sitting on the potty, minding your own business, and the kitty critter has eased the door open unbeknownst to you. You glance over and, "Oh. My. Gawd!!!! What the....!!!"

that freaks me out a little

Quote Originally Posted by my_tee_mouse View Post
    [Nods at Steely]

With those big, glowing, scary eyes! Those are hard enough to take when you're sitting on the potty, minding your own business, and the kitty critter has eased the door open unbeknownst to you. You glance over and, "Oh. My. Gawd!!!! What the....!!!"

You and SD have me in stiches. I guess I never thought of it from that point of view.

BUT Would you want a mechanical HEADLESS cat bounding towards you? Fifty shades of Ichabod Crane.
    JMO

You and SD have me in stiches. I guess I never thought of it from that point of view.

BUT Would you want a mechanical HEADLESS cat bounding towards you? Fifty shades of Ichabod Crane.
    Yes, as long as the mechanics aren't covered to look like a real cat and there isn't a bloody stump where the head should be, but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
    Yes, as long as the mechanics aren't covered to look like a real cat and there isn't a bloody stump where the head should be, but that's just me.
    Don't you mean an 'oily' stump?
    JMO

Definately needs a head. Like the Headless Horseman. I guess you could always stick your own on it , like a Barbie head, Mister Potato head, squirrel or chipmunk head if you have a spare one, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by TrackerSam View Post
    Definately needs a head. Like the Headless Horseman. I guess you could always stick your own on it , like a Barbie head, Mister Potato head, squirrel or chipmunk head if you have a spare one, etc.
    LOL at spare Barbie head.

[Tiptoes off saying, "Don't even wanna know!"]

Actually if they covered the mechanics to make it look like a cat, and gave it a cat's head, and programed it to purr, it would be very re assuring for a trapped child.

Don't want much, do I. But after all they have figured out already, a fake fur coat and a purr should be a piece of cake. Oh, and a head! Must not lose our head.
    Last edited by Paintr; 06-22-2013 at 11:00 PM.
    JMO

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast