1188 users online (222 members and 966 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

FL - Nicole Horton, 12, Debary, March 2005

from Florida...two guys took her. She's 12 years old....God help her.

It had just come over Fox News

and I didn't catch why but they said it was not an amber alert, but they felt she was in danger..and they were describing the guys and the car....so why not an amber alert...???????

Quote Originally Posted by Jovin
    from Florida...two guys took her. She's 12 years old....God help her.
    More Info:

"Authorities said Horton was likely abducted by two men who are approximately 30 years old. The first man is 5 feet 8 inches tall with blonde hair, wearing a white T-shirt and black shorts. The second man is 5 feet 2 inches tall with black hair, wearing a red shirt, black leather jacket and jean shorts. They are traveling in an older model white Jeep Cherokee with black trim. The vehicle may be missing a right front hubcap."

http://www.wesh.com/news/4321823/detail.html

Good lord, not another one?!!!

Is it just that we are hearing about it more these past few weeks??
    When the children cry let them know we tried 'Cause when the the children sing then the new world begins

Regarding why some become Amber Alerts and others don't...it is up to LE to activate an Amber Alert....reportedly these are the criteria in Florida:

To activate the alert the following five (5) criteria must be met.

• The child must be under 18 years of age.
    • There must be a clear indication of an abduction.
    • The law enforcement agency's investigation must conclude that the child's life is in danger.
    • There must be a detailed description of child and/or abductor/vehicle to broadcast to the public (photo when available).
    • The activation must be recommended by the local law enforcement agency of jurisdiction.

It seems like this case meets the criteria to me...

ETA...I verified on the FDLE website that those are the actual criteria...
    When the children cry let them know we tried 'Cause when the the children sing then the new world begins

At this point, with all the cruelty in the news, I need something to restore my faith in humanity.

My thought's and prayers are with this little girl and her family.

Yes, I think so too..

It seems like they have met all the requirements too, so what the heck is the problem?

I understood that she'd been taken this morning, but according to that link that Juliana posted, it happened yesterday, but Fox News said they were just getting the info when I posted it...wonder why the delay from yesterday?

Fox reporting that police are calling this an endangered runaway. Maybe that is why there is no Amber Alert.

I just hope that in cases where it seems like we don't hear about it quickly that in abscence of an Amber Alert the home state is at least getting a missing child report out on their news rapidly. The one part about the Amber Alert getting out quickly that bothers me is that what if no one sees anything? I imagine that the intention of an abductor would be NOT to be seen so thank goodness people do see so the alert can get activated.

FDLE website has her classified as engandered..I'd tend to believe them before Fox....

http://www3.fdle.state.fl.us/MCICSea...r.asp?ID=11463

edited to fix my link

Fox said she was a runaway and was in another county and that these two men were seen abducting her there! So, just because she is a runaway first and then is kidnapped she should be punished by not being considered an amber alert?????

did that make sense?
    "Life ain't hard, just get a job and don't kill anybody." by richandfamous

"Even my moderation is excessive." by richandfamous

I heard that on Fox too.

Quote Originally Posted by richandfamous
    Fox said she was a runaway and was in another county and that these two men were seen abducting her there! So, just because she is a runaway first and then is kidnapped she should be punished by not being considered an amber alert?????

did that make sense?
    I agree...she SHOULD still warrant an Amber Alert for gosh sakes! What more do they need?

I believe they issued an Amber Alert

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/03/28/mis...irl/index.html

What the hell is going on in Florida?

It's not showing up on the CodeAmber website yet if they did issue one...

I don't know what is going on...but it's becoming increasingly depressing to live down here.

I hope they find this child safe...if anything happens to her that will be 3 in less than two weeks...

kk - I think they issued a missing endangered child alert, not an Amber Alert.

This story is either confusing or is reported confusedly - she was reported missing by her family, apparently, and then about that time, in another COUNTY a person meeting that description was picked up by two men, and they are described.

I wonder if the cops aren't sure the two incidents are connected? None of the articles I can find are at all clear, who reported seeing her abducted, did it appear she got in willingly or was she snatched up kicking and screaming?

It sounds like there's a chance Nicole is still in her own county, and this is an unrelated girl in another county who was picked up by someone she knows? Maybe that's what the cops are thinking?

Who knows, once again there aren't enough details to tell what's going on.

Prayers for Nicole's safe return.

edited to add: I just reread the articles, and looked up DeBary on the map. Apparently it is still in the same county as Port Orange, which is valusa county, although it's about 25 or 30 miles away. So somehow she got there, 25 miles away, and was there seen getting into a car with men.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast