840 users online (124 members and 716 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    DofC
    Posts
    22,012

    Mom: RI Theater Threw out Disabled Girl Over Noise

    Samantha Torres, of New Bedford, says her daughter, Nadia, suffers from a chromosome abnormality and can't speak. ...... Nadia was squealing, giggling and humming along with the musical at the Providence Performing Arts Center they went to on June 2.
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/m...7#.UcGxcPnOkvk

    Torres plans to take up the theater on an offer to conduct sensitivity training for ushers.

    She is also working with the Rhode Island Developmental Disabilities Council to develop a guide on how entertainment venues can prepare for people with disabilities.

    “I think it’s going to have a happy ending for a lot of people,” she said.
    http://www.kimt.com/2013/06/18/mom-r...rl-over-noise/

    This was at a Beauty and the Beast performance, that's what children do.
    __________
    “Hate, it has caused a lot of problems in the world, but has not solved one yet.” - Maya Angelou

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,020
    What? Now that is sad..I hope the little girl didn't know it was because she was having a good time that they had to leave..

    Why don't the ushers kick people out when they are talking on the phone at the top of their voice, making out across 2 seats, kids fighting and hollering, constantly running up and down the aisles? Those are some of the reasons we rarely go to a theatre anymore.

    Edit: My mistake about it being a live performance...I still don't think the girl should have had to leave; surely they could have made some accommodation for her to stay and have some enjoyment.
    Last edited by Reader; 06-19-2013 at 06:06 PM.


    "The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

    The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    8,769
    Quote Originally Posted by Reader View Post
    What? Now that is sad..I hope the little girl didn't know it was because she was having a good time that they had to leave..

    Why don't the ushers kick people out when they are talking on the phone at the top of their voice, making out across 2 seats, kids fighting and hollering, constantly running up and down the aisles? Those are some of the reasons we rarely go to a theatre anymore.
    This was a live theatre performance, not a movie theater showing.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    8,769
    I really doubt the ushers would ask the family to leave unless the daughter was being extremely disruptive. Tickets for this show cost $50+ and other attendants have the right to listen to the show in peace. Disney may have adapted it, but it's a classic, that people of all ages enjoy. This is not "Dora the Explorer" where audience interaction by little kids is encouraged. I have been to many live theatre performances, and I have never seen the audience singing and clapping again. It's not a concert. You are supposed to be quiet, so you don't distract the actors.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    where no man has boldy gone
    Posts
    3,642
    There is a law called The Americans with Disabilities Act. This little girl can't talk and only can communicate through noise. If it bothers you than you should leave, or move away, to another seat. She deserves to enjoy the same things as everybody else.
    It's almost been a year since we did our last show.Jay Bush my partner has been auditioning for the show Shark Tank and so this has put the show on hold. If he gets on Shark Tank, we will be terribly delayed. Good luck Jay. Either way we will one day continue the show and have the coolest global independent radio station out there. This is just a small video we did with one of our artists.Waiting for One and their tune 35 years. Check it out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Go80y20fA
    We hope to be doing a radio show with all our artists real soon. Hope you can join in the fun. Please bare with us while we improve the show especially the sound.
    Laserdog Enterprises would like to bring you our version of a Tribute to the Angels of Newtown. Another school shooting in Georgia thankfully no children were hurt.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axOGOBT77Xs

    Please take a few moments and visit the missing children site. We really need you.
    Click on the link to find a missing child,teen or adult.

    http://www.missingkids.com/missingki...eCountry=en_US

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    8,769
    Quote Originally Posted by legalmania View Post
    There is a law called The Americans with Disabilities Act. This little girl can't talk and only can communicate through noise. If it bothers you than you should leave, or move away, to another seat. She deserves to enjoy the same things as everybody else.
    Why should someone leave when they paid $50+ for a ticket? Seats are assigned, so you can't just move to any seat you want. Why don't the other people deserve to enjoy the performance? Not only does the noise distract the actors, but it takes away from everyone's enjoyment. This is not a concert. It's a theatre performance, where you are supposed to be quiet and watch the show.

  7. #7
    justbeachy's Avatar
    justbeachy is offline "It's good to see me, isn't it? No need to respond; that was rhetorical."
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    1,561
    Quote Originally Posted by eileenhawkeye View Post
    Why should someone leave when they paid $50+ for a ticket? Seats are assigned, so you can't just move to any seat you want. Why don't the other people deserve to enjoy the performance? Not only does the noise distract the actors, but it takes away from everyone's enjoyment. This is not a concert. It's a theatre performance, where you are supposed to be quiet and watch the show.
    Out of curiosity, what would your solution have been?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,111
    Quote Originally Posted by legalmania View Post
    There is a law called The Americans with Disabilities Act. This little girl can't talk and only can communicate through noise. If it bothers you than you should leave, or move away, to another seat. She deserves to enjoy the same things as everybody else.
    I'm all for the ADA, but parents should also use a little judgment. No child should be taken to adult, live theater until s/he is old enough to understand what is proper behavior.

    There's a reason "children's theater" contains a lot of audience participation moments. It's understood that small children (including 5-year-olds) have trouble sitting still and being quiet, so allowance is made in the script for kids to move and yell.

    Very few 5-year-olds have any business attending BATB, UNLESS it's a special children's version.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,215
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    I'm all for the ADA, but parents should also use a little judgment. No child should be taken to adult, live theater until s/he is old enough to understand what is proper behavior.

    There's a reason "children's theater" contains a lot of audience participation moments. It's understood that small children (including 5-year-olds) have trouble sitting still and being quiet, so allowance is made in the script for kids to move and yell.

    Very few 5-year-olds have any business attending BATB, UNLESS it's a special children's version.
    I agree Nova. I've been trying to find the article I read this morning which was much more detailed and I haven't been able to find it yet, but according to that report, the theater did try to accommodate them in an area where they would still be able to enjoy the show without disturbing those around them, but the mom refused and left instead. There is a distinct difference between this production of BATB and a performance specifically for children. And even so, it's just etiquette and consideration for fellow theater goers. If your child is disturbing those around you, even if your child is enjoying themselves, you need to take action if you are impacting the viewing experience of those around you. I empathize with all involved, but I think it's very unfair to focus all of the ire and accusations at the theater. As parents, we all need to vet our venues and performances for appropriateness, and come up with contingency plans. She's not doing recognition of the ADA any favors IMO.

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...f=arts&ir=Arts

    I believe I also read that there was a glassed in viewing area into which the audio from the show could be piped in order to allow people to enjoy the performance out of general seating areas, but it doesn't say that now. Maybe I'm wrong, or it was retracted.....
    Last edited by animlzrule; 06-19-2013 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Found article I was citing

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,020
    The 2nd OP article shows the mother said:

    Torres said she was never offered the chance to relocate. The group was already sitting near the rear of the 3,100-seat theater and the only people bothered by Nadia were the ushers, she said.
    I have looked at several other articles and none give the information about her refusing to be accommodated to another seat or glassed in area:

    http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/...NEWS/306180324

    "They did not ask me to leave; they told me I had to leave," said Torres, ......

    Torres insists she was never offered other seats. She said because the audio was very loud and they were seated in the rear of the theater, Nadia didn't seem to be bothering anybody — except the ushers.

    Attorney Christine Griffin, executive director of the Massachusetts Disabilities Law Center, said this is not uncommon.

    "I think that if there really weren't legitimate complaints (from other attendees) "» and they didn't really attempt to accommodate them in a better way — yeah, that would be discrimination," she said.

    Griffin said what happened could have violated the Americans with Disabilities Act, which prohibits discrimination on the basis of public accommodation, as well as exclusion, segregation and unequal treatment........

    Lisa Condit, marketing director of the Hanover Theatre in Worcester, said that about two years ago the theater had a boy with cerebral palsy rocking and singing along with a musical. Several people complained both during and after the show, Condit said, but they decided to leave him be.

    "Our operations manager knew and felt strongly that our mission is to foster love and appreciation ... and we couldn't ask this family to leave because he could not control his reaction," Condit said.

    Although audience members were disgruntled, the more they learned about the situation the less it bothered them, Condit said.........more.......
    Last edited by Reader; 06-19-2013 at 09:28 PM.


    "The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

    The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14,189
    I have no real opinion about ada laws and changes, but don't think the parents should have taken their child if they knew she would loudly squeal, and if it was not a child interactive show.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,749
    another "example" case that has nothing to do with ADA. Who brings a 5 yo to live theater performance? Answer: no rational person. My kids have no developmental disabilities that I know of, yet they would have been equally obnoxious if required to be quiet and appreciative of theater at 5 years old, if not more so. I can't swear on it though, since actualy bringing them to such a production would never had occurred to me. It's a non-issue, imo.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    SWO :)
    Posts
    4,577
    Quote Originally Posted by Karmady View Post
    Who brings a 5 yo to live theater performance? Answer: no rational person. My kids have no developmental disabilities that I know of, yet they would have been equally obnoxious if required to be quiet and appreciative of theater at 5 years old, if not more so. I can't swear on it though, since actualy bringing them to such a production would never had occurred to me. It's a non-issue, imo.
    seems the theater has no problem with a 5 yr old attending:

    Please note: To ensure the enjoyment of all patrons, children under the age of five are not permitted to attend performances unless it is designated as a family show. Please call the Box Office at (401) 421-ARTS (2787) to see which shows are appropriate for younger children. All persons regardless of age are required to have a ticket for family shows.

    http://www.ppacri.org/events_tickets/broadway_series
    *** THIS POST IS JMO (unless a link is provided) AND IS ONLY FOR USE ON WEBSLEUTHS -- PLEASE DO NOT LINK OR COPY IT ELSEWHERE ***

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    8,281
    I read a few articles....I think the mom should have perhaps taken her daughter to a children's program. Imoo

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    5,749
    Quote Originally Posted by redheadedgal View Post
    seems the theater has no problem with a 5 yr old attending:

    Please note: To ensure the enjoyment of all patrons, children under the age of five are not permitted to attend performances unless it is designated as a family show. Please call the Box Office at (401) 421-ARTS (2787) to see which shows are appropriate for younger children. All persons regardless of age are required to have a ticket for family shows.

    http://www.ppacri.org/events_tickets/broadway_series
    Doesn't matter what the theater permits to me. If I had a 5 yo that I knew was absolutely capable of sitting through live theater, I might take him or her. I haven't had one of those, although I'm sure they exist. Kind of like snipe, I imagine lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. TX - Mom beat girl, 4, threw her in path of SUV
    By mendz in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 11-05-2008, 05:39 PM
  2. Disabled Teen Kicked Out Of Theater For Laughing Too Loudly
    By PrayersForMaura in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 03-01-2006, 05:20 PM