Mom: RI Theater Threw out Disabled Girl Over Noise

popsicle

faith hope love
Reaction score
Samantha Torres, of New Bedford, says her daughter, Nadia, suffers from a chromosome abnormality and can't speak. ...... Nadia was squealing, giggling and humming along with the musical at the Providence Performing Arts Center they went to on June 2.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/mom-ri-theater-threw-disabled-girl-noise-19426237#.UcGxcPnOkvk

Torres plans to take up the theater on an offer to conduct sensitivity training for ushers.

She is also working with the Rhode Island Developmental Disabilities Council to develop a guide on how entertainment venues can prepare for people with disabilities.

“I think it’s going to have a happy ending for a lot of people,” she said.

http://www.kimt.com/2013/06/18/mom-ri-theater-threw-out-disabled-girl-over-noise/

This was at a Beauty and the Beast performance, that's what children do.

What? Now that is sad..I hope the little girl didn't know it was because she was having a good time that they had to leave..

Why don't the ushers kick people out when they are talking on the phone at the top of their voice, making out across 2 seats, kids fighting and hollering, constantly running up and down the aisles? Those are some of the reasons we rarely go to a theatre anymore.

Edit: My mistake about it being a live performance...I still don't think the girl should have had to leave; surely they could have made some accommodation for her to stay and have some enjoyment.

What? Now that is sad..I hope the little girl didn't know it was because she was having a good time that they had to leave..

Why don't the ushers kick people out when they are talking on the phone at the top of their voice, making out across 2 seats, kids fighting and hollering, constantly running up and down the aisles? Those are some of the reasons we rarely go to a theatre anymore.

This was a live theatre performance, not a movie theater showing.

I really doubt the ushers would ask the family to leave unless the daughter was being extremely disruptive. Tickets for this show cost $50+ and other attendants have the right to listen to the show in peace. Disney may have adapted it, but it's a classic, that people of all ages enjoy. This is not "Dora the Explorer" where audience interaction by little kids is encouraged. I have been to many live theatre performances, and I have never seen the audience singing and clapping again. It's not a concert. You are supposed to be quiet, so you don't distract the actors.

There is a law called The Americans with Disabilities Act. This little girl can't talk and only can communicate through noise. If it bothers you than you should leave, or move away, to another seat. She deserves to enjoy the same things as everybody else.

There is a law called The Americans with Disabilities Act. This little girl can't talk and only can communicate through noise. If it bothers you than you should leave, or move away, to another seat. She deserves to enjoy the same things as everybody else.

Why should someone leave when they paid $50+ for a ticket? Seats are assigned, so you can't just move to any seat you want. Why don't the other people deserve to enjoy the performance? Not only does the noise distract the actors, but it takes away from everyone's enjoyment. This is not a concert. It's a theatre performance, where you are supposed to be quiet and watch the show.

Why should someone leave when they paid $50+ for a ticket? Seats are assigned, so you can't just move to any seat you want. Why don't the other people deserve to enjoy the performance? Not only does the noise distract the actors, but it takes away from everyone's enjoyment. This is not a concert. It's a theatre performance, where you are supposed to be quiet and watch the show.

Out of curiosity, what would your solution have been?

I'm all for the ADA, but parents should also use a little judgment. No child should be taken to adult, live theater until s/he is old enough to understand what is proper behavior.

There's a reason "children's theater" contains a lot of audience participation moments. It's understood that small children (including 5-year-olds) have trouble sitting still and being quiet, so allowance is made in the script for kids to move and yell.

Very few 5-year-olds have any business attending BATB, UNLESS it's a special children's version.

I'm all for the ADA, but parents should also use a little judgment. No child should be taken to adult, live theater until s/he is old enough to understand what is proper behavior.

There's a reason "children's theater" contains a lot of audience participation moments. It's understood that small children (including 5-year-olds) have trouble sitting still and being quiet, so allowance is made in the script for kids to move and yell.

Very few 5-year-olds have any business attending BATB, UNLESS it's a special children's version.

I agree Nova. I've been trying to find the article I read this morning which was much more detailed and I haven't been able to find it yet, but according to that report, the theater did try to accommodate them in an area where they would still be able to enjoy the show without disturbing those around them, but the mom refused and left instead. There is a distinct difference between this production of BATB and a performance specifically for children. And even so, it's just etiquette and consideration for fellow theater goers. If your child is disturbing those around you, even if your child is enjoying themselves, you need to take action if you are impacting the viewing experience of those around you. I empathize with all involved, but I think it's very unfair to focus all of the ire and accusations at the theater. As parents, we all need to vet our venues and performances for appropriateness, and come up with contingency plans. She's not doing recognition of the ADA any favors IMO.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/18/samantha-torres_n_3459146.html?utm_hp_ref=arts&ir=Arts

I believe I also read that there was a glassed in viewing area into which the audio from the show could be piped in order to allow people to enjoy the performance out of general seating areas, but it doesn't say that now. Maybe I'm wrong, or it was retracted.....

The 2nd OP article shows the mother said:

Torres said she was never offered the chance to relocate. The group was already sitting near the rear of the 3,100-seat theater and the only people bothered by Nadia were the ushers, she said.

I have looked at several other articles and none give the information about her refusing to be accommodated to another seat or glassed in area:

http://www.southcoasttoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130618/NEWS/306180324

"They did not ask me to leave; they told me I had to leave," said Torres, ......

Torres insists she was never offered other seats. She said because the audio was very loud and they were seated in the rear of the theater, Nadia didn't seem to be bothering anybody — except the ushers.

Attorney Christine Griffin, executive director of the Massachusetts Disabilities Law Center, said this is not uncommon.

"I think that if there really weren't legitimate complaints (from other attendees) "» and they didn't really attempt to accommodate them in a better way — yeah, that would be discrimination," she said.

Griffin said what happened could have violated the Americans with Disabilities Act, which prohibits discrimination on the basis of public accommodation, as well as exclusion, segregation and unequal treatment........

Lisa Condit, marketing director of the Hanover Theatre in Worcester, said that about two years ago the theater had a boy with cerebral palsy rocking and singing along with a musical. Several people complained both during and after the show, Condit said, but they decided to leave him be.

"Our operations manager knew and felt strongly that our mission is to foster love and appreciation ... and we couldn't ask this family to leave because he could not control his reaction," Condit said.

Although audience members were disgruntled, the more they learned about the situation the less it bothered them, Condit said.........more.......

I have no real opinion about ada laws and changes, but don't think the parents should have taken their child if they knew she would loudly squeal, and if it was not a child interactive show.

another "example" case that has nothing to do with ADA. Who brings a 5 yo to live theater performance? Answer: no rational person. My kids have no developmental disabilities that I know of, yet they would have been equally obnoxious if required to be quiet and appreciative of theater at 5 years old, if not more so. I can't swear on it though, since actualy bringing them to such a production would never had occurred to me. It's a non-issue, imo.

Who brings a 5 yo to live theater performance? Answer: no rational person. My kids have no developmental disabilities that I know of, yet they would have been equally obnoxious if required to be quiet and appreciative of theater at 5 years old, if not more so. I can't swear on it though, since actualy bringing them to such a production would never had occurred to me. It's a non-issue, imo.

seems the theater has no problem with a 5 yr old attending:

Please note: To ensure the enjoyment of all patrons, children under the age of five are not permitted to attend performances unless it is designated as a family show. Please call the Box Office at (401) 421-ARTS (2787) to see which shows are appropriate for younger children. All persons regardless of age are required to have a ticket for family shows.

http://www.ppacri.org/events_tickets/broadway_series

I read a few articles....I think the mom should have perhaps taken her daughter to a children's program. Imoo

seems the theater has no problem with a 5 yr old attending:

Please note: To ensure the enjoyment of all patrons, children under the age of five are not permitted to attend performances unless it is designated as a family show. Please call the Box Office at (401) 421-ARTS (2787) to see which shows are appropriate for younger children. All persons regardless of age are required to have a ticket for family shows.

http://www.ppacri.org/events_tickets/broadway_series

Doesn't matter what the theater permits to me. If I had a 5 yo that I knew was absolutely capable of sitting through live theater, I might take him or her. I haven't had one of those, although I'm sure they exist. Kind of like snipe, I imagine lol

I read a few articles....I think the mom should have perhaps taken her daughter to a children's program. Imoo

Tale as old as time, true as it can be. Disney’s Beauty and the Beast, the smash hit Broadway musical, is coming to you! Based on the Academy Award-winning animated feature film, this eye-popping spectacle has won the hearts of over 35 million people worldwide. This classic musical love story is filled with unforgettable characters, lavish sets and costumes, and dazzling production numbers including “Be Our Guest” and the beloved title song. Experience the romance and enchantment of Disney’s Beauty and the Beast!

Beauty and the Beast is appropriate for children of all ages.

http://vancouver.broadway.com/shows/beauty-and-beast/

BATB may be appropriate for children of all ages, but that doesn't mean children of all ages are appropriate for BATB.

This story is local to me and the first news interviews I saw, they asked the woman to move to different seats or to watch on a monitor in the lobby (a crappy option, but...) --- I have a disabled son who can only communicate by making sounds (mostly loud ones). I find opportunities for him to go out and enjoy himself at shows that are appropriate for him. He doesn't live in a vacuum, BUT I don't expect the world to bend around him either. Everyone has the right to have a good time and to expect to get what they paid for. I think it's sad that it didn't work out for that little girl, but I don't think she should have brought her. JMO

BATB may be appropriate for children of all ages, but that doesn't mean children of all ages are appropriate for BATB.

Yes, big distinctions should be made between "can" and "should". Kind of like when I see 5 year olds at PG-13 movies.....

This story is local to me and the first news interviews I saw, they asked the woman to move to different seats or to watch on a monitor in the lobby (a crappy option, but...) --- I have a disabled son who can only communicate by making sounds (mostly loud ones). I find opportunities for him to go out and enjoy himself at shows that are appropriate for him. He doesn't live in a vacuum, BUT I don't expect the world to bend around him either. Everyone has the right to have a good time and to expect to get what they paid for. I think it's sad that it didn't work out for that little girl, but I don't think she should have brought her. JMO

Thank you for an honest answer from one who has been there and done that.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back