GUILTY CA - Oliver Northrup, 87, & Claudia Maupin, 76, brutally slain, Davis, 14 April 2013

The complaint does not elaborate beyond the description that the "murders were committed in a way that manifested exceptional depravity."
In 4 short years....sad.

From a 2009 article by the Sacramento Bee re-published yesterday:
He began slamming his fist against his father's chest, a move he'd seen on television shows such as "House."
"I was yelling 'Dad, wake up! Dad, wake up!' " Daniel said.

"If Daniel hadn't been with me, I would have died that day, " he said.
He looked at his son and said: "You did pretty damn good."
Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2013/06/18/5506954/davis-boy-stops-car-starts-dads.html#storylink=cpy

What went wrong? :(

Especially difficult for some to believe are the charges that Marsh laid-in-wait for 87-year-old Oliver Northrup and 76-year-old Claudia Maupin the night they were killed, and that had tortured them and killed in with particular brutality.

“A lot of neglect I guess,” said Marilyn Clements, whose son is friends with Marsh.

Read more: http://fox40.com/2013/06/19/davis-teen-pleads-not-guilty-to-double-murder-charges/#ixzz2WkrauL00

http://fox40.com/2013/06/19/davis-teen-pleads-not-guilty-to-double-murder-charges/

One possible explanation as to what went wrong. In the video at the link one acquaintance says 'not the best family dynamics'.

My sister literally lives within 2 blocks of where the murder occurred.
She's following this very closely. No one seems to know a motive yet.

She found the father's twitter account, it's actually hard to read/follow. I think it was in 2011, he references both his children attempting suicide. He talks about his ex-wife, etc. Just from reading the dad's words, it's no wonder there might have been chaos in the home environment. I "think" my sister said she thought Daniel lived with the mother.

This happened right near where I used to live. Daniel is just a year younger than my child. He has had a lot of mental health issues and has been hospitalized on numerous occasions over the past few years. He was suffering from anorexia, as well. His parents had a very messy divorce and custody battle, as well as financial problems as a result of the divorce. Daniel took their divorce very, very hard. He was on independent study to stay afloat academically, and he was very intelligent.

I find a few things curious: 1) He did not know the Northrups and there is no apparent motive; 2) He is a very short, frail kid, which makes it very difficult to believe he could have stabbed two people to death like that (they were in very good shape for their age); and 3) It's so unusual for a teen to commit such a crime and not tell anyone about it (nor did his behavior change).

Considering the fact that multiple jurisdictions and the FBI assisted with processing the crime scene, I feel fairly certain they have the right guy. However, so many unanswered questions certainly cast an ounce of doubt. Plus I know so many people who know him who can't imagine him doing such a thing. I think that since he had been recently hospitalized it's very likely that he was on psyche meds, and we all know how detrimental they can be to children and teens.

This one hit way too close to home, and I feel bad for this kid even though I know I probably shouldn't.

This happened right near where I used to live. Daniel is just a year younger than my child. He has had a lot of mental health issues and has been hospitalized on numerous occasions over the past few years. He was suffering from anorexia, as well. His parents had a very messy divorce and custody battle, as well as financial problems as a result of the divorce. Daniel took their divorce very, very hard. He was on independent study to stay afloat academically, and he was very intelligent.

I find a few things curious: 1) He did not know the Northrups and there is no apparent motive; 2) He is a very short, frail kid, which makes it very difficult to believe he could have stabbed two people to death like that (they were in very good shape for their age); and 3) It's so unusual for a teen to commit such a crime and not tell anyone about it (nor did his behavior change).

Considering the fact that multiple jurisdictions and the FBI assisted with processing the crime scene, I feel fairly certain they have the right guy. However, so many unanswered questions certainly cast an ounce of doubt. Plus I know so many people who know him who can't imagine him doing such a thing. I think that since he had been recently hospitalized it's very likely that he was on psyche meds, and we all know how detrimental they can be to children and teens.

This one hit way too close to home, and I feel bad for this kid even though I know I probably shouldn't.

Thanks for your insight, Sunday.
I hope we find out more about what went so horribly wrong here.

To think of the terror that the victims went through, and to try to understand what could have possibly led this young guy to do such a horrific thing and still go about his daily life....:notgood:

We have made so little progress in understanding mental health issues.

http://www.modbee.com/2014/06/02/3369689/teen-accused-in-2013-davis-stabbing.html

The teen facing murder charges in the stabbing deaths of an elderly Davis couple in April 2013 has entered a new plea claiming he was insane at the time of the attacks.

Daniel William Marsh, 17, pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity Monday at proceedings in Yolo Superior Court in Woodland, according to Yolo County District Attorney’s officials. He had earlier pleaded not guilty to the charges.

The new plea came two weeks before Marsh’s scheduled trial date on allegations of first-degree murder with special circumstances in the brutal April 13, 2013, slayings of local attorney and musician Oliver Northup, 87, and his wife, church official Claudia Maupin, 76, in their south Davis condominium.

http://www.dailydemocrat.com/breaki...al-remains-schedule-davis-teen-accused-murder

In light of this new plea, the trial date was continued to allow for a psychological evaluation of the teen by two medical professionals. Yolo County Superior Court Judge David Reed postponed the trial to 9 a.m. on Aug. 25 in Department 6.

At Wednesday's status conference, Reed discussed the psychological evaluations with counsel. He said one of the reports has been completed, but they are still awaiting the second.

"Hopefully, we will have that before the Aug. 18 trial readiness conference," he said. He also scheduled another status conference at 9 a.m. on Aug. 8 in the same department.

I am so pleased that this case has turned out this way, so many murderers, mass murderers and serial killers have started their lives this way.

Here is one story I remember: http://www.smh.com.au/national/a-da...ryant-into-a-mass-murderer-20090427-ajk4.html

He would have continued killing, so many more would have died before he got caught. Sometimes they are born insane, others have something happen to them that sends them insane. Once they start they don't stop. It is especially hard for the people who know them and cannot see it in them, they see the other side of their personality. There is little point is saying "think of the victims, whenever you start to feel sorry for them - think of the victims".
I know a victim of Martin Bryant, he could have been stopped many years earlier, at the same age as Daniel William Marsh.

By stopping Daniel William Marsh now "by reason of insanity" I have no doubt he would have continued and his carnage could have been tragic.

Davis Teen’s Murder Trial Underway

In her opening statement, Deputy District Attorney Amanda Zambor
told the jury that Marsh may just be a teenager, but he is a young man who stabbed 87-year-old Oliver Northup and his 76-year-old wife Claudia Maupin 60 times each.

Zambor also showed the jury a taped video clip of Marsh confessing the murders to detectives.

But Marsh’s attorney Ron Johnson argues another story: Daniel is just a teenager suffering from severe depression. Next, his medical records were opened up. Johnson claimed he has proof that Daniel’s anti-depressant medications played a contributing factor to his homicidal behavior.

read more ............... http://fox40.com/2014/09/02/davis-teens-murder-trial-underway/

http://www.dailydemocrat.com/breaki...is-double-homicide-victims-extensive-injuries

"The hand wound was remarkable in its location," said Mark Super, a forensic pathologist who performed autopsies on both victims. "The wounds tell me that this person attempted to block or grab the knife or defend himself in some way. The victim was aware he was being assaulted."

Daniel Marsh remained unfazed as Super took the stand on Friday, detailing extensive injuries to the elderly couple, who were found in their Cowell Boulevard condominium the night of April 14, 2013. Marsh has been in court since Tuesday as prosecutors began laying out their case...

Friends and family of the couple told each other to "look away" as Assistant Chief Deputy District Attorney Michael Cabral projected graphic photographs of both victims on the screen behind him during questioning...

http://www.sacbee.com/2014/09/12/6703183/psychologist-details-davis-murder.html

Rokop testified through the afternoon offering a detailed, graphic account of a boy who studied serial killlers; who told of binges on vodka and “cannabis cocktails;” and who had a growing obsession with sexually violent and macabre images scoured from the Internet. For Marsh, Rokop said, anger was a primary emotion directed at his family and strangers.

“His worldview was that everyone was a cockroach or a parasite,” Rokop testified. Marsh, in his courtroom uniform, a pressed white dress shirt and striped tie, stared at Rokop, scarcely blinking. “He had a general hate of everybody. He said he thought about (killing) a lot,” Rokop said. “He had a buildup of anger.”

He had dreams of killing every night after the savage deaths of the elderly couple selected at random in their south Davis condominium, a thrill Rokop said Marsh described as “good as opium, if not better.” After more than a year in juvenile custody, Marsh “still thinks about this,” the psychologist testified.

http://www.mercedsunstar.com/2014/09/24/3866252_jurors-watch-video-confession.html?rh=1

“I’m trying to solve a homicide,” Campion told Marsh. “Don’t lie to me. We’re pretty good at this. I’m not going to ruin your life. Tell us what happened.” And, for more than two hours, Marsh did. On Wednesday, the Yolo Superior Court jurors who will decide his fate watched the remainder of the hours-long June 2013 interview with investigators...

He then described how he sliced through a screen door and made his way to Northup and Maupin’s bedroom, the horror that followed and how he reveled in it. “It felt amazing,” Marsh told investigators on the recording. “It felt great. It was pure happiness. It was the most enjoyable feeling I’ve ever felt.”

At one point, Hurd rose slowly from her bench in the gallery, appearing to steady herself against the description of her mother’s attack, then slowly eased back into her seat to be comforted by those around her.

http://www.news10.net/story/news/lo...deliberations-in-daniel-marsh-trial/16240489/

"He wasn't interested in money. It was self-gratification. He wanted to murder somebody," prosecutor Michael Cabral said in his closing argument. "He was a predator, searching the streets of Davis for someone to kill"...

The prosecution made reference to sewing the victims' eyelids open, forcing them to see what was happening...

Closing arguments ended just before court adjourned Thursday evening. The jury is expected to begin deliberations Friday morning.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbi708
Back