FL - Fernando Barahona, 22 mos, homicide, Cape Coral, 3 June 2013

LolaMoon08

Reaction score
http://www.winknews.com/Local-Flori...tigates-Cape-Coral-infants-death#.UcIbrO7D_IU

"Cape Coral Police confirm an active ongoing criminal investigation, but we've learned the Department of Children and Families has opened several cases involving the people that live in the home."

"The report shows the baby was in the care of his mother and her boyfriend, who was not supposed to be here at the house at the time."

"Two weeks earlier, the child was rushed to the emergency room with skull fractures."

No name for this little angel, but wanted him to have a thread here.

Also, no names of mom and boyfriend.

It appears DCF failed another child. Multiple cases had been opened on the people who lived in the home. Boyfriend was not even supposed to be in the home which tells me DCF has already been involved. Baby went to the hospital with skull fractures two weeks prior to his death. Ugh! Why was he sent back into that home?

Little Fernando Barahona was hospitalized last month after sustaining fractures to the back and side of his skull. His mother and her boyfriend said Fernando was knocked over by a dog.

Doctors who examined the toddler on May 17 told state child welfare investigators the account of mother Elvia Enid Fernandez and her “paramour” was not consistent with the injuries, which they suspected were the result of physical abuse.

Despite that, investigators gave Fernando back to his mom.

Two weeks later, 1-year-old Fernando was dead.

Police from the Southwest Florida town of Cape Coral and the state Department of Children & Families are investigating Fernando’s June 3 death, and both agencies refused this week to discuss the case with the Miami Herald.

In response to a public records request, the DCF on Tuesday provided a copy of a short report on the case to the Herald.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/06/18/3458380/cape-coral-toddler-dies-under.html#storylink=cpy

Little one now has a name. I will ask a mod to change the thread title to show it :(

rest in peace Fernando. I am sorry your brief time here was like this.

Back in the olden days when I worked with child abuse, if a child had an injury like that, he would never, never, NEVER have been returned to the home without a thorough investigation. He would have gone to a relative or temporary shelter and then to the judge for custody if necessary. If the mother protested, you would call the sheriff so you could take him as an emergency. If the boyfriend was not supposed to be there, the mother had a contract with the agency listing conditions she had to meet, so that was grounds right there to remove the child, even without the injury.

I know there is a whole new generation of workers there who are probably not trained very well and have no background in social work or working with people. This caseworker should be fired, IMO.

So the poor little guy had skull fractures 2 weeks ago and they just sent him back? :unhappy:

I'll be interested to see what they rule as cause of death

Back in the olden days when I worked with child abuse, if a child had an injury like that, he would never, never, NEVER have been returned to the home without a thorough investigation. He would have gone to a relative or temporary shelter and then to the judge for custody if necessary. If the mother protested, you would call the sheriff so you could take him as an emergency. If the boyfriend was not supposed to be there, the mother had a contract with the agency listing conditions she had to meet, so that was grounds right there to remove the child, even without the injury.

I know there is a whole new generation of workers there who are probably not trained very well and have no background in social work or working with people. This caseworker should be fired, IMO.

I agree with you but it is even worse then just the barely trained caseworkers it is also incompetency through out the agency at least in our families case.My Gsons and his sisters mom was not only caught 2 sneaking the BF back in after they both accused him of abuse,she became pregnant with his child within weeks of them accusing him.All happened within 2 months of meeting him.He has another court order where he has not seen his first child in over a yr ,needs mental evaluations not allowed supervised visitations but yet can live with 2 children he abused!Case marked kids high risk CPS just stopped going every 2 weeks for home visits:banghead:System is not just broken it has deserted the little people it is suppose to protect! I am heart broken they have failed another child.I am also heart broken for any loved ones if they were fighting to get this child help.Till our own nightmare I never understand why family did not fight hard enough.

August 2013:

Administrators had planned to protect Fernando and his siblings by suggesting the couple accept “intensive diversionary services,” including anger management classes and mental health treatment. The new plan was set to begin on June 3.

That’s the day Fernando died. The Lee County medical examiner concluded the then-22-month-old was strangled. The death is classified a homicide.

Read more here: http://www.mercedsunstar.com/news/local/article3278512.html#storylink=cpy

March 2014:

On May 18, 2013, Fernando's mother, Elvia Fernandez, signed a safety plan: "Ronald Midkiff cannot have any contact with the children. Any violations of this safety plan may result in legal action."

The safety plan was ignored. Shortly after it was signed, DCF received a report that Midkiff had been at the children's daycare and had hit Fernandez on the head and yanked one of her children by his hair.

On June 3, someone strangled Fernando. Midkiff was in the house that night with Fernando's mother, contrary to the safety plan. Fernando's death was ruled a homicide, although no one has been charged.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/politi...-protecting-kids-with-hollow-promises/2170543

It seems like children's lives aren't worth much there in Florida. JMO

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanayarford