1510 users online (251 members and 1259 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

The Most Logical Suspect

Let's start from the crime scene, and work from there.

Who is the most logical suspect? Means, motive, opportunity, and please explain why.

There was no most logical suspect going from the scene of the murders itself, which is why the WMPD wound up investigating so many people, including far creeper people with much darker histories than Echols.
    The Master said, "In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself." Confucius, The Doctrine of the Mean, James Legge translation

Failure is an opportunity. If you blame someone else, there is no end to the blame. Therefore the Master fulfills her own obligations and corrects her own mistakes. She does what she needs to do and demands nothing of others. Lao-tzu, Tao Te Ching, Stephen Mitchell translation

Yes, there was. Three children under 12, there are a whole host of logical suspects. Parents, step parents, other adults that were in the childrens' lives.

For example, Terry Hobbs - what was his alibi for the night of May 5th? And please bear in mind that a hair at the crime scene is consistent with the mtDNA of David Jacoby, who is Terry Hobbs' main alibi witness.

Quote Originally Posted by Cappuccino View Post

Who is the most logical suspect? Means, motive, opportunity, and please explain why.
    I would start off by saying someone nearby, familiar with the woods. Parents and step-parents would be obvious considerations. I would want to look into others that lived in that portion of West Memphis. If I were to put myself in the shoes of the WMPD at the time, not knowing anything that was learned subsequently, I would have been concerned about residents at Mayfair Apts. Just seemed to attract transient type of residents.

Yes, there was. Three children under 12, there are a whole host of logical suspects.
    Do you not compherend the difference between the singular "the most logical suspect" you first asked for and the plural "whole host of logical suspects" you've switched to now? I agree with the latter, and said as much in my previous post.

Quote Originally Posted by reedus23 View Post
    I would have been concerned about residents at Mayfair Apts.
    Did you know that Echols had lived in Mayfair apartments a couple years prior to the murders? He mentioned it himself in Almost Home.
    The Master said, "In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself." Confucius, The Doctrine of the Mean, James Legge translation

Failure is an opportunity. If you blame someone else, there is no end to the blame. Therefore the Master fulfills her own obligations and corrects her own mistakes. She does what she needs to do and demands nothing of others. Lao-tzu, Tao Te Ching, Stephen Mitchell translation

Quote Originally Posted by kyleb View Post
    Did you know that Echols had lived in Mayfair apartments a couple years prior to the murders? He mentioned it himself in Almost Home.
    I did recall reading that.

If you would go back just one more page in Almost Home, I believe that you will discover that the time Damien is remembering is when he first started to school. That would make him about 6 or 7. So, instead of it being "a couple of years," it was ten years (or more) before, and it was when he was a small child, about the age of Christopher, Michael and Steven.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Compassionate Reader View Post
    If you would go back just one more page in Almost Home, I believe that you will discover that the time Damien is remembering is when he first started to school. That would make him about 6 or 7. So, instead of it being "a couple of years," it was ten years (or more) before, and it was when he was a small child, about the age of Christopher, Michael and Steven.
    Thank you for the additional and more accurate details. Another red herring that does nothing to support guilt, imo.
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Compassionate Reader View Post
    Huh, I'd taken comments from you on in our previous discussion regarding Echols living at Mayfair apartments to suggest it had been a couple years prior to the murders, but in reading further in Almost Home I see that suggests otherwise. I did some digging around in hopes of finding actual documentation for the dates for when moved too and from there, but have come up empty, so I retract the "a couple of years" portion of my question there.

Quote Originally Posted by Hez View Post
    Thank you for the additional and more accurate details. Another red herring that does nothing to support guilt, imo.
    The fact that he lived in Mayfair apartments doesn't prove guilt by any stretch, but it does disprove Echols' claims that he was unfamiliar with the area such as the ones he made here.

Huh, I'd taken comments from you on in our previous discussion regarding Echols living at Mayfair apartments to suggest it had been a couple years prior to the murders, but in reading further in Almost Home I see that suggests otherwise. I did some digging around in hopes of finding actual documentation for the dates for when moved too and from there, but have come up empty, so I retract the "a couple of years" portion of my question there.
    Thank you.

The fact that he lived in Mayfair apartments doesn't prove guilt by any stretch, but it does disprove Echols' claims that he was unfamiliar with the area such as the ones he made here.
    How well does a small child (6 - 10 years old) really know the area where he lives, especially a "bookish" one who, by his own admission, wasn't "into" sports and other outdoor activities, preferring to read?

ETA: Reading just a little further in Almost Home provides the information that Damien's mother married Jack Echols when Damien was in the third grade (about 8 or 9). So, he lived in the Mayfair Apartments for, at most, three years, from ages 5 (kindergarten) through 8 (second grade). I'm not sure that it was even that long because they lived with his grandmother after she remarried right before his mom married Jack Echols. I simply don't think his awareness of his surroundings, given his "bookish" nature, would amount to much for that time frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Hez View Post
    You're right about that. That's why it didn't bother me in the least to discuss Mayfair Apts. It has nothing to do with guilt. It has to do with where would I start asking questions if I were going door to door.

If it's true that a ME said they died between 1am - 7am then the culprit/s could be someone who hasn't been mentioned. Perhaps they were taken somewhere else first and that also accounts for any missing clothing.
    Last edited by Pisces Cloud; 10-27-2013 at 09:15 AM.

As others have mentioned above, the most logical suspect is either somebody that the boys knew and trusted or somebody who was familiar with the area. I think Terry Hobbs had the strongest means and opportunity. I say this because he has a history of violence. According to Pam Hobbs he physically abused Stevie on numerous occasions. He previously worked as a butcher. In other uncertain words, he wasn't afraid of hurting his son. Yes, that doesn't necessarily label him as a killer, but it definitely puts him a step above other suspects. In the case of a stranger killing, I think that motive would either be a thrill killing or a cover-up of some kind, as in maybe the boys saw something that they shouldn't have. Many people have alleged that the boys were murdered because of sexual deviancy, and I think it's a possibility, but not a strong one. I say this because it just seems too obvious. The boys were naked, hogtied, thrown into the river; upon first seeing the scene it looks like the boys were sexually abused and then to cover it up they were murdered. However, in my opinion, it seems like a staged scene. According to the autopsy results none of the boys contained any evidence of sexual abuse. This makes me think that it was somebody that the boys knew. Another thing that I noticed about the scene was that whoever murdered the boys seemed to want to humiliate them. Of course it's just speculation but that's what the scene looks like to me.

I think as with any case where a child is killed, the parents should be investigated first.

I would also investigate who was familiar with the area. I'm not quite sure how big WM is, but I grew up in a very small town (about 230 acres and less than 1000 people) that is wooded in areas and I know there are people who weren't familiar with a lot of the areas within the town. I think investigating and ruling out people would have helped tremendously.
    What you're dealing with is a horrendous crime. Three young boys murdered in cold blood. Just that alone upsets people. You look at the bodies and there are these savage injuries all over. It affects people emotionally and warps their judgement and then someone says, "Maybe it's satanic."

And they say, "Well the only type of person who would do this would be someone like that."

Quote Originally Posted by missy_g View Post
    I think as with any case where a child is killed, the parents should be investigated first.

I would also investigate who was familiar with the area. I'm not quite sure how big WM is, but I grew up in a very small town (about 230 acres and less than 1000 people) that is wooded in areas and I know there are people who weren't familiar with a lot of the areas within the town. I think investigating and ruling out people would have helped tremendously.

FYI, at the time of the murders, the population of West Memphis, Arkansas was 28, 016. It is a typical dormitory community of a much larger city. (source)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast