Christian group apologizes to gay community

Status
Not open for further replies.

animlzrule

Reaction score
And the dominoes continue to topple:

The president of a leading Christian ministry dedicated to helping gays repress their sexual urges through prayer has apologized to the gay community and says the group is shutting down.
Alan Chambers, in a statement posted Thursday on Exodus International's website, said the group wants to apologize to the gay community "for years of undue suffering and judgment at the hands of the organization and the church as a whole."

http://news.yahoo.com/christian-group-apologizes-gay-community-143320199.html

I realize these are somewhat fringe organizations whose ignorance of science and human sexuality, not to mention Christianity, is rather obvious and easy to mock, but still, it's nice to have any bigotry breeding organization admit it's defeat.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/20/us/exodus-international-shutdown/index.html?hpt=us_c2

(CNN) -- After 37 years, Exodus International, an organization whose mission was to "help" gay Christians become straight, is shutting down. But not before issuing an apology.

"We're not negating the ways God used Exodus to positively affect thousands of people, but a new generation of Christians is looking for change -- and they want to be heard," Tony Moore, an Exodus board member, said Wednesday.

The announcement comes less than a day after Exodus issued a wide-ranging apology to the gay community for "years of undue judgment by the organization and the Christian Church as a whole," a statement from the group says.

"Exodus is an institution in the conservative Christian world, but we've ceased to be a living, breathing organism," said Alan Chambers, the president of Exodus. "For quite some time, we've been imprisoned in a worldview that's neither honoring toward our fellow human beings, nor biblical.".........

"It is strange to be someone who has both been hurt by the Church's treatment of the LGBTQ community, and also to be someone who must apologize for being part of the very system of ignorance that perpetuated that hurt," Chambers said. "Today it is as if I've just woken up to a greater sense of how painful it is to be a sinner in the hands of an angry church."............

With the closing of Exodus International, the board of directors voted to begin a new and separate ministry called Reduce Fear.

"This is a new season of ministry, to a new generation," Chambers said. "Our goals are to reduce fear, and come alongside churches to become safe, welcoming and mutually transforming communities."

It's meant to align with Jesus' New Testament message found in John 13:34 -- "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another."

More at link.....

"God used Exodus to positively affect thousands of people..."?

I doubt it.

A link in the article:

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/10/03/opinion/granderson-reparative-therapy/index.html

(CNN) -- This morning, I decided to wear jeans.

I could've gone with sweat pants, but I needed to stop by a couple of offices and didn't want to look too relaxed. I could've done slacks but didn't want to look too uptight. I'm not big into khakis, and it's too chilly for shorts, so jeans won out.

I decided to go with the French Roast over the Morning Blend. When I got in my Jeep, I decided to listen to Eric Church as opposed to Zac Brown Band or Craig Morgan. I opted not to run that red light. I chose to park on the street as opposed to the nearby lot.

And just before I got out of the car, I chose to be gay.

I was going to make that decision earlier, but you know how hectic mornings can be. I'm just glad I remembered when I did. I've been known to go all day without remembering to pick a sexual orientation, which can make things pretty awkward at home.

Now, if that last part sounds a bit stupid to you, welcome to my world.

Reminder:

This is a crime website forum. We do discuss political issues in our member's only area, but we do not discuss religion. The lines are drawn and it leads to hurt feelings between our members. There are jillions of places on the internet to discuss religion, gay rights, abortion, and other polarizing topics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa