8 Foods We Eat In The U.S. That Are Banned In Other Countries.

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.buzzfeed.com/ashleyperez/8-foods-we-eat-in-the-us-that-are-banned-in-other-countries

This is just a list of the eight. Each one has a couple of paragraphs explaining it:

1. Artificial food dye: Makes your food pretty and inhibits nerve-cell development.
2. Olestra (or Olean): Lowers calorie counts while causing vitamin depletion and anal leakage. (I haven't seen something with Olestra in a long time.)
3. Brominated vegetable oil: Makes food dye stick to liquid, but also may cause birth defects and major organ damage.
4. Potassium bromate (or bromated flour): Great for impatient bakers, bad for your kidneys and nervous system.
5. Azodicarbonamide: Bleaches flour, plastic, and induces asthma as an added bonus.
6. BHA & BHT: Waxy preservatives linked to cancer and tumors.
7. Synthetic growth hormones rBGH and rBST: Harm cows and can give humans breast, colon, and prostate cancer.
8. Arsenic: Basically this ish will slowly kill you.

:tos:

I AM Telling YOU that the first person who makes an emu joke somewhere in this thread will receive a right good bashing with a folding chair. Don't Do It! :nono:

Thanks, that was a great article. Now I'm afraid to eat anything.

What is bromated flour? I'll have to look it up. Cooking from scratch and avoiding processed foods should eliminate some things on the list, hopefully. Not everyone can afford the free range hormone free milk, eggs, and meat.

I'm beginning to think the only safe food is processed cheese. Lol.

Is Olestra still used in fat free Pringles and other fat free "fried" snacks? It was a few years ago, don't know about today. It is interesting watching people bug out over warnings on potato chip containers.

I knew about most of the poison foods, except dried beans!!! That is what I eat all winter, cooked of course, but wow.

Bromated flour is flour that has potassium bromate added. Most likely in all of your store bought sandwich breads. Here is an article about it:

http://www.nowpublic.com/health/fda-should-ban-potassium-bromate-and-bromated-flour

So, with all that is making our food unsafe, think all the constant recalls, now we must think of all the additives. It is not just improper growing technique, handling technique, cooking technique, it is also the carp that is added to it. What are Americans to do?

We can't all grow our own food anymore. Too much population, no place for everyone to grow food, no time for farming when you have to work long hours just to pay for rent or mortgage and utilities, etc... And again, not everyone owns land or can.

I know to eat less processed food, and I do. But that doesn't stop the things wrong with all the fruits and veggies, meats and milks.

Hormone free, range roaming, and organic, all come with their own special sets of issues, btw. Not really any better or safer.

Is the only safe thing processed cheese food? If so, I hate that stuff! It tastes like nothing, is an artificial color, but I haven't seen a recall. Yet. :floorlaugh:

These aren't foods, they're emulsions.

LOL, TS went for it! It was almost a challenge SD! :floorlaugh:
Glad there's a discussion about food additives and healthy eating. Eating whole, fresh foods is the way to go. Organic is best but they are twice the price :( Whole, fresh or flash frozen are the most nutritionally dense foods you can eat. I think a lot of genetically modified foods such as corn and soy are going to be a problem because we may not be able to break them down and metabolize them as we do the originals. JMO. Healthy eating everyone :seeya:

What is bromated flour? I'll have to look it up. Cooking from scratch and avoiding processed foods should eliminate some things on the list, hopefully. Not everyone can afford the free range hormone free milk, eggs, and meat.

This is what makes me so angry! It is so damn expensive to eat healthy in this country. The processed, unhealthy stuff is far cheaper than the healthy foods! And folks wonder why obesity is so prevalent among the poor and working poor and even the working and middle classes - it's because they/we can't afford healthy stuff!

I paid way too much for five pounds of apples yesterday (and five pounds is not a lot of apples, despite the fact that I pick out the smallest ones hoping they'll go further lol). I could've bought a ton of crap snacks for the same amount, but... :help:

I'm beginning to think the only safe food is processed cheese. Lol.

Is Olestra still used in fat free Pringles and other fat free "fried" snacks? It was a few years ago, don't know about today. It is interesting watching people bug out over warnings on potato chip containers.

I knew about most of the poison foods, except dried beans!!! That is what I eat all winter, cooked of course, but wow.

Bromated flour is flour that has potassium bromate added. Most likely in all of your store bought sandwich breads. Here is an article about it:

http://www.nowpublic.com/health/fda-should-ban-potassium-bromate-and-bromated-flour

So, with all that is making our food unsafe, think all the constant recalls, now we must think of all the additives. It is not just improper growing technique, handling technique, cooking technique, it is also the carp that is added to it. What are Americans to do?

We can't all grow our own food anymore. Too much population, no place for everyone to grow food, no time for farming when you have to work long hours just to pay for rent or mortgage and utilities, etc... And again, not everyone owns land or can.

I know to eat less processed food, and I do. But that doesn't stop the things wrong with all the fruits and veggies, meats and milks.

Hormone free, range roaming, and organic, all come with their own special sets of issues, btw. Not really any better or safer.

Is the only safe thing processed cheese food? If so, I hate that stuff! It tastes like nothing, is an artificial color, but I haven't seen a recall. Yet. :floorlaugh:

Dried beans that are prepared correctly are most nutritious. Remember that canned beans contain BPA from the chemicals coating the inside of the can. Cheese is so unhealthy because it is dense fat and has casein. Just 'food' for thought: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kathy-freston/a-cure-for-cancer-eating_b_298282.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff
Back