757 users online (89 members and 668 guests)  

Websleuths News

Not Of This World

Post Supermoon Rises in Weekend Night Sky Sunday

The largest full moon of 2013, a so-called "supermoon," will light up the night sky this weekend, but there's more to this lunar delight than meets the eye.
    On Sunday, June 23, at 7 a.m. EDT (1100 GMT), the moon will arrive at perigee the point in its orbit bringing it closest to Earth), a distance of 221,824 miles (356,991 kilometers). Now the moon typically reaches perigee once each month (and on some occasions twice), with their respective distances to Earth varying by 3 percent.

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Georgia -- Redneck Country
    Very cool. Last year a friend wanted to take photos of the dogs on the 2012 supermoon. We drove out to an awesome cemetery and....well....not sure what happened but we totally missed it when it came over the horizon. One minute we were saying "This seems to be taking a long time, the moon was supposed to rise 20 minutes ago" and the next we saw a tiny risen moon over the horizon.

Bit let down!

Maybe near dawn it is easier to notice?

southwest Indiana
    That ought to bring the lunatics out of the woodwork around here.
    Anything worth dewing, is worth dewing well!
    Proud parent of 3 rescued schnauzers

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey2Me1MoThyme View Post
    That ought to bring the lunatics out of the woodwork around here.

I saw the supermoon one morning a few years ago on the way to work. It was incredibly Humongous. It was setting and at least 2-3 times the size. Something about it setting in the horizon increased it size.

So cool. Gonna try to see it again.
    My opinion and nothing but my opinion.

Tor:Con Index link below. Will show you the probability of a tornado happening in your area.

FEMA's link for Emergency Supplies list below or what you need to survive for three days in case help is not immediately available to you.

You can also purchase a weather radio which will inform you of severe weather even if your electricity goes out. Runs on batteries of course.