GA GA - Teresa Dean, 11, Macon, 15 Aug 1999

DaveGA

Reaction score
Hello, This is my first post so i'm a 'newbie'. I was looking at the north american missing persons site part of the doe network and I found a person missing from Macon, Ga. Then I checked the Web Sleuth site for anything on this person and there was nothing. So, I figured why not start a thread with her name. I don't have a link with her picture. What I noticed from the site was that she was Born: September 20, 1987 and was 11 years old at time of disappearance. This was back in 1998 (I think). Have any of you ever heard about her or read anything involving this case?

Dave

After searching for nine years police haven't given up on finding a missing girl.

Eight year old Teresa Dean went missing in 1999 near her Twiggs County home.

Twiggs County sheriff Darren Mitchum says he doesn't have any new information, but he hopes heating up this cold case will help

http://www.13wmaz.com/news/local_story.aspx?storyid=34920

Bump

Teresa has been missing 11 years today. Come home soon.

This happened 20,30 miles down the road from me. I believe there was speculation that the step-father was involved.
Also, there was another composite sketch of a suspect given recently. Teresa lived in a mobile home park near a construction site. Another girl who lived in a mobile home park next to a construction site in a nearby state (alabama I think) went missing 2 or 3 years before- in the same month as Teresa. The man in the sketch had a large mole on his face. Tommorrow at work I will look for a link to this information and the suspect's sketch. I do know that LE was looking into construction companies' list of employees and locations of jobsites.

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

Missing Since: August 15, 1999 from Macon, Georgia
Classification: Endangered Missing
Date Of Birth: September 20, 1987
Height and Weight: 4'10, 75 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown hair, blue eyes. Dean has a speech impediment.
Clothing/Jewelry Description: A blue and white-striped shirt, orange or pink knit pants and clear plastic gel-type sandals.
Medical Conditions: Dean may require medical attention for unspecified reasons.

Details of Disappearance

Dean was last seen walking down Lawrence Street near her family's singlewide trailer in Macon, Georgia at approximately 8:00 p.m. on August 15, 1999. She has never been seen again. Dean said she was going to a friend's house to visit some puppies, but never arrived there. An extensive search of the area produced no clues as to her whereabouts.
Dean's mother's former boyfriend, Cody Landers, lived with her family in 1999. He was Dean's mother's fiance at the time, but they have since broken off their engagement. In October 2000, Landers was indicted on seven child molestation charges involving two children. He said that he failed a polygraph test which he took voluntarily shortly after Dean's disappearance, but claimed that the test was administered improperly. Landers called himself a suspect in Dean's case, but the police never named him as one. He is now in prison after pleading guilty to the child molestation charges. Landers has never been connected to Dean's case and no arrests have been made in her disappearance.

Some investigators feel Dean's case may be connected to the abductions and murders of Heaven Ross from Northport, Alabama in 2003 and Shannon Nicole Paulk from Prattville, Alabama in 2001. The girls are all Caucasian and were all eleven years old at the time they disappeared, and they all disappeared during the month of August from trailer parks where they lived. There was construction going on near the site of each girl's disappearance and it has been theorized that a construction worker or workers were involved in the girls' cases. Paulk was found deceased seven weeks after she went missing. Ross's remains were not recovered until late December 2006, over three years after her disappearance. Both girls' murders remain unsolved and no hard evidence links them to Dean's case.

Dean's case remains unsolved. She was a student at Alexander IV School in 1999. She has previously lived in Bibb County, Georgia. Authorities believe foul play may have been involved in her case.

Investigating Agency
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Federal Bureau Of Investigation
Macon, Georgia Office
912-745-1271
OR
Georgia Bureau of Investigation
912-987-4545
OR
Twiggs County Sheriff�s Department
912-945-3357

Source Information
The Charley Project
The National Center For Missing and Exploited Children
Child Protection Education Of America
The Macon Telegraph
13-WMAZ
Outpost for Hope
WMAZ-TV
The Tuscaloosa News
The Ledger-Enquirer

source: http://missingpersonforum.com/index.php?topic=490.0;wap2

The area code for the phone numbers to the Macon office and I'm pretty sure the Twigg's office is now 478. It seems all the websites with her information still list the numbers with the old 912 area code. the GBI number listed would also have 478 as the area code.
should I contact each site directly to have the number changed, or is there one site that would notify the others?

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2667dfga.html

parakeet Doe Network has the area code you are talking about in your post above.

I'm not sure, so I'm going to hazard a guess and say that if you want you can send an email to each site asking them to update her info?

HTH. Perhaps someone else with more experience in these matters will come along to answer.

Not really any new info in the recent story from local media below, but Teresa's case is mentioned. Posting it hoping to turn some new attention her way:

Discovery of Missing Ohio Girls Gives Familes of Missing Central Georgians New Hope

Following the announcement of the missing girls found alive in Ohio, it has brought new hope for the friends and families of missing people in central Georgia...

...11-year-old Teresa Dean was last seen on August 15, 1999 by a neighbor who saw her walking roughly 100 yards away from her Twiggs County home. Dean left home to go see her neighbor's new puppies. Teresa told her mother, "Bye Momma, I'll see you later." but never returned. Born in 1987, she would be about 25-years-old now. ...
http://www.newscentralga.com/news/l...ing-Central-Georgians-New-Hope-206479921.html

Has anything new come up? The poor little girl couldn't just vanish off the face of the Earth!

They still have no leads on what happened to Teresa Dean.

Middle Georgia Cold Case - Teresa Dean's Disappearance

[video=youtube;LboYUCC_Fj4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LboYUCC_Fj4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LboYUCC_Fj4[/video]

18 Years Later: The Haunting Case of Teresa Dean

http://11thhouronline.com/2017/05/01/18-years-later-the-haunting-case-of-teresa-dean/

Speculation and the facts surrounding the case have long pointed toward a darker ending for the young girl with the slight lisp and sunny smile, who classmates at Alexander IV Elementary School in Macon would later describe as “quiet.” Just days after Teresa Dean first went missing on Aug. 15, 1999, local, state, and Federal lawmen working the case publicly acknowledged the chances of finding her alive were slim, and rescue efforts quickly became a recovery mission dedicated to finding her presumptive remains.

Not that anyone can say for sure, even now, what in the world became of little Teresa Dean.

The case can’t be ruled a homicide, accidental death, or anything other than “cold.” No credible accounts have ever surfaced to suggest Teresa lived to see her 12th birthday. Yet her body has never been found. Which is to say, the forever 11-year-old remains suspended in the murky amber of time, preserved only in pictures and in the flashes of memories of those who knew her.

It’s those memories, investigators say, that may hold the vital clues they need to crack the ice-cold case, and spell out the whole story of what exactly what became of Teresa Melissa Dean on that dog-days-of-summer evening so long ago.

It quickly became apparent the growing case file was yielding more questions than answers, Sheriff Mitchum says, offering “nothing solid I could hang my hat on.” By then, though at least three significant events in the Teresa Dean Missing Persons case timeline had occurred. The first was Cody Landers, Dorothy Dean’s fiancé living in the home at the time the case broke, had subsequently been indicted – and was ultimately incarcerated – on multiple child molestation charges. Though never formally named or charged by investigators, Landers had outed himself as a suspect to the media, claiming to have failed a polygraph test, but maintaining his innocence.

The second and third events occurred in Alabama. First in August of 2001, then again in August of 2003, two 11-year-old girls went missing, and like Teresa Dean, both seemed to simply fall off the face of the earth without so much as a squeak or a peep from either one of them to indicate they were being snatched by a stranger. But abducted they were. Unlike the Macon student, both of those girls were eventually found. And both had been murdered.

The Twiggs County Sheriff says he never stops thinking “about that youngin’,” admitting he is “haunted by it. We don’t have the resources to devote a single officer to the case – I wish we did – but we’re hunting every day.” Hunting, he says for even a scrap of information that could help them find the long-lost Teresa Dean, wherever she may be.

“I need information from people who lived in the neighborhood, that knew this family – information that people can back up to me as to how they know what they’re telling me. We can’t go off hearsay,” he says. “We would like to get ahold of information that would turn this thing around.”

I almost wonder if due to her age and short haircut if she was mistaken for a pre-adolescent male if skeletal remains were found. It has happened before notably the Stanley park "Babes in the Woods" and Kerry Graham. With DNA being used now to determine sex I hope if this is the case then the mistake will be caught soon.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff
Back