1460 users online (271 members and 1189 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

South Africa - Kiana Williams, 8, Cape Town, 10 June 2013

This case is sad. My heart breaks for the mother but I don't understand why it took two days to report her.

Police are still hunting for a Cape Town girl who went missing a week ago. Eight-year-old Kiana Williams had allegedly been left in the care of her grandmother and her motherís boyfriend, while her mother was in hospital giving birth.
    http://www.enca.com/south-africa/pol...cape-town-girl

Missing Kiara Williams mom makes plea:
    "I just want my child back that's all," said Kiana's mother Emily.

"Please, somebody who knows where she is or who got her, please can I just have my baby please."
    video: http://www.enca.com/south-africa/cape-town-girl-missing
    Last edited by summer_breeze; 10-24-2013 at 08:42 AM.

How the heck is a 5 year old photo supposed to help locate this child, seriously?

*All posts are my opinion only, and only my opinion.*

mama to 12 / adoptive parent educator

Quote Originally Posted by SilkySifaka View Post
    This case is sad. My heart breaks for the mother but I don't understand why it took two days to report her.

http://www.enca.com/south-africa/pol...cape-town-girl

Missing Kiara Williams mom makes plea: video: http://www.enca.com/south-africa/cape-town-girl-missing
    from the first link:

Police have scoured the area surrounding the informal settlement where the family lives.

[bbm]:

what is an 'informal settlement'???

Yes, why the h*#% such an old picture? Bizarre.
    I gotta say, after many years reading here, that the words "mother's boyfriend" strike fear into my heart. I hope I'm wrong and this girl is safe-somehow.

Also, the missing poster as well as our thread title have the girl's name as Kiara-but both news articles I read say Kiana--which one is correct?

Quote Originally Posted by LadyL View Post
    from the first link:

Police have scoured the area surrounding the informal settlement where the family lives.

[bbm]:

what is an 'informal settlement'???
    Just a quick google search indicates that an informal settlement is akin to a shanty town.

wikipedia quote:

Townships sometimes have large informal settlements nearby.

Despite their origins in apartheid South Africa, today the terms township, location and informal settlements are not used pejoratively. However policy makers are, as in the 1950s, once again using the term 'slums' in a highly pejorative way.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Township_(South_Africa)

~jmo~

They need a recent picture on the flyer! She is 8 yrs old now, not a toddler!

Quote Originally Posted by margarita25 View Post
    They need a recent picture on the flyer! She is 8 yrs old now, not a toddler!
    ITA, but I do wonder if such a photo is even available. :-(

~jmo~

Quote Originally Posted by shana View Post
    ITA, but I do wonder if such a photo is even available. :-(

~jmo~
    Indeed. It would probably be on the poster if they had one. Maybe they are just using this one in the meantime while trying to find / scan an updated one.

Quote Originally Posted by margarita25 View Post
    Indeed. It would probably be on the poster if they had one. Maybe they are just using this one in the meantime while trying to find / scan an updated one.
    Yes, I think so too. I hope a more recent photo will be added soon, perhaps one taken at school, or one even inadvertently snapped at some gathering or event.

~jmo~

Do kids in "informal settlements" go to school and get school pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by MsFacetious View Post
    Do kids in "informal settlements" go to school and get school pictures?
    I have NO idea, but not necessarily likely at all with regard to 'official' school photos. I suspect that SA "informal settlements" are far different from the ghetto/hood areas in the USA where 'cameras' are far more common. :-(

~jmo~

Quote Originally Posted by Hejlena View Post
    Yes, why the h*#% such an old picture? Bizarre.
    I gotta say, after many years reading here, that the words "mother's boyfriend" strike fear into my heart. I hope I'm wrong and this girl is safe-somehow.
    Add in the word 'new' and it's even more frightening. Hope they find her. So sad.

The missing poster indicates the girl was dressed for, and expected to attend, school, but mom discovered she hadn't been at school. What a horrible, sad situation-- no recent photos, shanty town, etc.

The poster says she was left with Grandma and BF, but doesn't say what their "explanation" is for her to be gone. I can't help but imagine the worst
    Unless specified otherwise and linked, my posts are simply random thoughts of mine, in no particular order, not directed at any post or poster, including but not limited to the ones directly above mine. My opinion only, yours may vary. IMO. JMO. IMHO. JMHO. MOO. Disclaimer, small print, asterisk, and etc.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast