http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/e/edberg_nathan.html

https://myspace.com/nathanandrewedberg

http://doenetwork.org/cases/3652dmmn.html

Nathan Andrew Edberg
Missing since April 14, 1999 from White Bear Lake, Ramsey County, Minnesota
Classification: Endangered Missing

Date Of Birth: September 17, 1977
Age at Time of Disappearance: 22 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 6'3 - 6'4"; 210-230 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Brown/black hair; dark brown eyes. Glasses with wire frames (for reading and driving).
Marks, Scars: Pierced ears (left double pierced).
Clothing: White shirt, light or charcoal gray corduroy pants. 2 earrings in left ear.
Dentals: Available.
Medical: Suffers from depression
AKA: Nate
DNA: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance:
The night of his disappearance Nathan went to police reserves at the White Bear Lake Police Department. He was considering a career in law enforcement. Later that night, he stopped at the bar Decoy's Bar and Grill for a couple of drinks with old friends, in St. Paul, MN. No one saw him leave, however, his vehicle was located in a ditch at Highway 35 East and Highway 694, near the Vadnais Heights-Little Canada border.

It appeared that Edberg tried to get the car out of the ditch but damaged the wheels. Authorities aren't sure if he was picked up by someone or if he wandered away. It is unclear if he was hurt in the accident. The vehicle was seen, coincidently, hours later by his friends as they were driving by the area. The State Patrol towed it that night. But no one saw Nathan Edberg.

Edberg apparently left his wallet at the bar so he probably wasn't carrying any identification when he vanished.
He did not show up for a job he was supposed to start nor a medical appointment.
Foul play isn't suspected, but relatives say it would be unusual for Nathan Edberg to take off without notifying his family. No one has accessed his credit card or bank accounts.

Nathan Edberg, who was planning to attend college after taking a year off, was starting to seek treatment for depression. He was depressed following a breakup with his girlfriend, and his parents' pending divorce. He had also lost his job.

Authorities were not told about the disappearance until almost five days after Edberg's truck was found. Nathan was living with a cousin in St. Paul. When his mother didn't hear from him for several days, she and the rest of the family figured he was sad over the pending divorce and simply wanted to be alone.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Ramsey County Sheriff's Office
651-266-7320

Agency Case Number: 99-08676

Article from 2010:
http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=848139
April 14th is always a difficult day for Jackie Edberg. It has been a very difficult day for the past 11 years. "I didn't imagine people could just do that, just vanish," the Vadnais Heights mother of four said.

Jackie's son Nathan was 21 years old when he disappeared more than a decade ago. She hasn't seen or heard from him since a Wednesday evening dinner. "I know that evening it had started to rain and it rained the whole week," she recalled.

p11164421.jpg

Nathan's Mom holding a picture of her missing son

So heartbreaking. Seems like an obvious suicide to me.

I agree, leilarose. I have always felt this was a suicide and his body has never been found. It seems like White Bear Lake is surrounded by forest areas and there's a large lake as well...

I agree, leilarose. I have always felt this was a suicide and his body has never been found. It seems like White Bear Lake is surrounded by forest areas and there's a large lake as well...

Have they used cadaver dogs? I wonder if there have been studies on where people commit suicide/what relationship they usually have to these places.

I wonder if the mother knew certain places her son liked to walk, where he liked to be contemplative, etc etc? I wonder if his family was very religious, very anti-suicide (in a religious way) and so he wanted to make it so his body would NEVER be found. It would be good if the mom could come here and answer some questions. I wonder if there's contact info for her. On the missing person thing it says she's still looking for him so I think it would be okay to contact.

In some of these cases tho, it seems like the parents NEED to believe the kid is still out there and WANT to believe he didn't die by suicide and REFUSE to believe he died by suicide. I wonder if this is one of those cases where the mother wouldn't want to talk to people who believed he committed suicide...

I knew Nate while I was in highschool. Such a sad case and I am so heartbroken for his mother. Hopefully, something someday breaks in this case.

Btw, first post...hi. Ive read here for years.

Jmedrew, thanks for posting and welcome to Websleuths!

I just re-read Nate's Charley Project Profile and noticed that the bartender stated he seemed happier that night than during previous visits. Some people grow calm and appear happy just before suicide because they are no longer in conflict over whether or not to live. Maybe that was the case here.

Thanks for the welcome.

I never thought of that. But I dont see why he just disappeared, why his body was never found? He seemed to be very close to his family and to put them through this kinda hell? I dunno.

My nephew just committed suicide last May. He did it for his mom to find him. I think that was more horrible than his suicide. Maybe Nate wanted to avoid that?

Just thinking outloud.

He seemed to be very close to his family and to put them through this kinda hell? I dunno.

When you're struggling from depression you rather think it wll be a relief for your loved ones when you're finally gone. They just want to end the pain, I guess. Not hurting their loved ones mostly.

I'm sorry about your loss.

The strange thing about the suicide theory is why would he leave his car on the side of a busy freeway? That part does not make sense to me.

True, I never thought about that honestly.

People who commit suicide may not think clearly and not focus on where they leave their car. Their behavior might not make a lot of sense to outsiders in some cases I guess.

http://www.haveyouseenus.com/2014/02/nathan-andrew-edberg-missing-since.html

The night of his disappearance Nathan went to police reserves at the White Bear Lake Police Department. He was considering a career in law enforcement. [...]

It appeared that Edberg tried to get the car out of the ditch but damaged the wheels. Authorities aren't sure if he was picked up by someone or if he wandered away. It is unclear if he was hurt in the accident. The vehicle was seen, coincidently, hours later by his friends as they were driving by the area. [...]

Nathan Edberg, who was planning to attend college after taking a year off, was starting to seek treatment for depression. He was depressed following a breakup with his girlfriend, and his parents' pending divorce. He had also lost his job.

Just highlighting some details I wasn't aware of. Charley Project states he was depressed but I didn't know he was starting to seek treatment.

[h=1]Renewed effort to find Twin Cities man missing since 1999[/h]
RAMSEY COUNTY, Minn. (KMSP) - A renewed effort is underway to figure out what happened to a man who disappeared 18 years ago. Nathan Edberg vanished in 1999 without a trace, but his family and authorities aren't giving up on finding him.
Jackie and Ramsey County investigators have puzzled over the case for nearly two decades. Was Nathan the victim of foul play? Did he hitch hike? Or did he want to disappear? His mom has said Nathan was depressed at the time upset over a girlfriend break up and his parents’ divorce.

The sheriff's office recently released an age-enhanced photo of what a 40-year-old Nate Edberg might look like today.

Jackie says she is confident she will see her son again either in this life or the next.
"It's hard to express, but it does give me comfort,” she said.
In addition to that age-enhanced photo, investigators are also using advanced technology to try to analyze fingerprints on Nathan's wallet, which he left behind at the bar that night.
http://www.fox9.com/news/274488580-story

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back