741 users online (101 members and 640 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

LA - Brandajah Smith, 5, dies after finding loaded gun, New Orleans, 23 June 2013

http://centurylink.net/news/read/cat...shoots_self-ap

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — ..........

The New Orleans Police Department said in a news release the girl was home alone Sunday, somehow found her mother's revolver, and accidentally shot herself in the head. The mother, 28-year-old Laderika Smith, will be booked on a charge of second-degree murder. Police say her negligence resulted in the death of her daughter.

Mother locked her in the house alone to go to the store....

"The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

Thank you, I posted your link in another revelant thread too.

What type of mother leaves their 5 year old child unattended in the house while they go to the store? And what's worse, leaving a child alone in a house where there are known weapons that are in reach and not secured.

It most definitely is second degree murder, but the charges not conviction will never bring the little girl back.

Unbelievable....really, taking your 5 yr old to the store with you is too much trouble?
    I guess keeping the gun unloaded & locked up was inconvenient too

Poor baby,rip

WHY didn't the mom take her 5 year old to the store? Did LE conduct a gun residue tet on the mom and child? Something isn't passing the smell test IMOO.Z

Oh FGS!

Doesn't even sound credible, little girl playing let's pretend to suicide with Mommy's gun. Nope, I with withhold my natural urge to head down the gun debate road with this one until we hear a more reasonable story.

Most little girls left alone would be deep in mommy's makeup, just sayin'
    Neither the state nor the defense team are saints, and there is usually plenty of incompetence to go around on both sides of the courtroom.

kaRN is offline Verified Health Professional - Registered Nurse
    Mom's DT should try and claim the 5 year old had the constitutional right to bare arms or stand her ground or whatever. Might even work.
    Sorry but this is about the third or fourth American child finds loaded gun and kills someone story I've read in the past month.

This isn't happening in Canada or Australia is it Mrs.G. N? I wonder why. No I don't. I know why. So I'll ask my American friends....WHY?

Injustice for Caylee Marie Anthony.

Copyright that Cindy

Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to get better. It's not. Dr. Suess

Quote Originally Posted by kaRN View Post
    Mom's DT should try and claim the 5 year old had the constitutional right to bare arms or stand her ground or whatever. Might even work.
    Sorry but this is about the third or fourth American child finds loaded gun and kills someone story I've read in the past month.

This isn't happening in Canada or Australia is it Mrs.G. N? I wonder why. No I don't. I know why. So I'll ask my American friends....WHY?
    Are there laws in Canada or Australia that address whether firearms should be secured in the home or not?

Quote Originally Posted by cityslick View Post
    Are there laws in Canada or Australia that address whether firearms should be secured in the home or not?
    What guns? Hardly anyone here has a gun.
    Neither the state nor the defense team are saints, and there is usually plenty of incompetence to go around on both sides of the courtroom.

Quote Originally Posted by cityslick View Post
    Yes but more importantly, we aren't allowed to own handguns. We're only allowed to kill or threaten to kill potential food sources, not other humans. Police do the policing, not the neighborhood watch or people with BPD or those who opened bank accounts at whatever bank is offering the free handgun with a new savings account. No guns or ammo available at Target or Walmart or the local gas station. We also amend our constitutions when it appears the illiterate explorers who founded our nations, got something wrong 100's of years ago or what worked then clearly isn't working now.

We have less murders and violent crimes per capita too so it would appear the ban on handguns works on more than just saving children from their parents lethal toys.

I love my American friends and I love your children. If I didn't I'd zip my lips and let you kill each other. I hate than 'you're' ( not directed at you cityslick) so fearful of each other, your government or was is it England, that even mentioning striking down the Second Amendment to bring yourselves in line with the rest of the modern world, is enough to prompt a war of words that could result in me getting banned from WS.
    Last edited by kaRN; 06-24-2013 at 10:02 AM.

Copyright that Cindy

Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to get better. It's not. Dr. Suess

Yes but more importantly, we aren't allowed to own handguns. We're only allowed to kill or threaten to kill potential food sources, not other humans. Police do the policing, not the neighborhood watch or people with BPD or those who opened bank accounts at whatever bank is offering the free handgun with a new savings account. We also amend our constitutions when it appears the illiterate explorers who founded our nations, got something wrong 100's of years ago or what worked then clearly isn't working now.

We have less murders and violent crimes per capita too so it would appear the ban on handguns works on more than just saving children from their parents lethal toys.
    I agree, wholeheartedly. And there is A LOT less crime...

I know the gun debate is for another thread but my Lord... c'mon, where are the rules for gun security protecting the young babies in their own house with their own families?!

[ame="http://vimeo.com/11205275"]http://vimeo.com/11205275[/ame]

Copyright that Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs G Norris View Post
    What guns? Hardly anyone here has a gun.
    Exactly. When was the last time any child in Australia or Canada under the age of 10 years was shot by a gun? Not recently, not within 10 years at all.... Home invasion rates in Australia are just as high in the other areas, just as dangerous in America. A LOT of people do not need self protection in Australia, America, Canada and if they do... I would love to see them jusitfy this little baby girl's life.

I have many friends who live in high crime areas in America, in fact I have I stayed with them. Sure I was scared, but none of my friends had a gun they told me about and I never encountered any crime when I was with them. I have had friends encounter violent crime in non crime areas where they never expected it. Guns are not the answer, unless you apart of a gang and a slum area. Even if I knew a gun was in the place I was staying I am not sure I would reach it in time to protect myself.

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousGrace View Post
    Exactly. When was the last time any child in Australia or Canada under the age of 10 years was shot by a gun? Not recently, not within 10 years at all.... Home invasion rates in Australia are just as high in the other areas, just as dangerous in America. A LOT of people do not need self protection in Australia, America, Canada and if they do... I would love to see them jusitfy this little baby girl's life.
    Can not think of any cases .. I'm sure they exist, just know of none. I think we'd all prefer to live without the guns in the first place. Seems like once you got them, they're darned hard to get rid of.

Ass end of nowhere, hell hole of a holler

Not sure where to begin with this.

Are you asking why our constitution was written >200 years ago to include the right to bear arms for its citizens? That's a long historical conversation.

Or are you asking why some dumb a¥¥hole not only leaves a LOADED GUN in a home in close proximity to anyone, much less her child? Why would she find the need to arm herself? I know LE who never keep gun & bullets together. Maybe the other question is why did that miserable waste of a human being thunk she needed it in the first place? What kind of lifestyle would require armament? Assuming she's not LE? What neighborhood does she live in?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast