FL - Kyrese Anderson, 3, dies in hot car, Manatee County, 22 June 2013

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Summer's here; here we go again.

Boy, 3, dies after parents forget about him and leave him for THREE HOURS locked in sweltering car - while they went to a family funeral. (Daily Mail)
In what's being described as a tragic accident, a 3-year-old boy is dead after his parents mistakenly left him in a hot car in Florida over the weekend.

Adding to the tragedy, the parents were attending a funeral for another family member when the little boy was accidentally left in the car.

According to the Manatee County Sheriff's Office, Kyrese Anderson was pronounced dead after spending about three hours in the back of a hot car as his parents attended the funeral - and his two siblings were just feet away in the care of a babysitter.
---
'They get back from the funeral several hours later,' Dave Bristow with the Manatee County Sheriff's Office told WTSP.com, 'and they ask where the 3-year-old was, and the babysitter said, "I thought he was with you?'"
---
According to the website KidsandCars.org, 33 children were killed in the U.S. when they were left in hot cars in 2011. That's down from 49 in 2010.
---
more, with comprehensive chart of nontraffic-related child car deaths in U.S., 1991-2011, at link above

oh,.. life is cruel sometimes

Poor baby, poor family. An already sad event compounded by tragedy. Love to them all. :rose:

In the turmoil of a family funeral I can see this happening. Prayers for the family.

Terrible story. If anyone hasn't read Gene Weingarten's Pulitzer Prize-winning piece about this phenomenon, I highly recommend it:

Fatal Distraction

Great article, thank you. We need to come to terms that there are such things as memory lapse and accident and quit penalizing one parent and exonerating another. I believe very few would ever knowingly let their child bake to death.

How sad! The parents must be in horrible shock. :(

We have warning lights and beeps to let us know our seat belts aren't fastened or our car doors aren't closed tightly or our headlights are still on.

Surely some sort of warning device could be devised for children left in car seats! And, yes, I realize such a protection may cost every car buyer a few dollars, but surely it would be worth it!

We have warning lights and beeps to let us know our seat belts aren't fastened or our car doors aren't closed tightly or our headlights are still on.

Surely some sort of warning device could be devised for children left in car seats! And, yes, I realize such a protection may cost every car buyer a few dollars, but surely it would be worth it!

As cars (and all the other machines we use) get "smarter," I suspect this is exactly what will happen. Sensors in the seats could measure weight or body temperature, and sound an alarm if it seems like the car is being left with someone in it.

As cars (and all the other machines we use) get "smarter," I suspect this is exactly what will happen. Sensors in the seats could measure weight or body temperature, and sound an alarm if it seems like the car is being left with someone in it.

They could do it now but I doubt they ever will because of the liability if it failed to work.Parents would rely on the alarm going off if they did leave their child in their car seat, if it malfunctioned the law suits would be huge.No company would risk it.Makes me sick to even write that but to car companies that let faulty designs be sold to the public because to them the profits will be higher then the deaths costs. My very first car was a lemon yellow ford pinto white interior with a hatchback. I loved that car, till I found out it was a death trap.$11.00 the could have fixed them but decided cheaper to payout on lawsuits, till it was exposed.On page 24 on the link I posted below the cost and benefits they valued a death at 200,000.There is a lot of info about other companies.

http://www.justice.org/clips/theyknewandfailedto.pdf

How very sad :( You know when I get out of my vehicle I always look in it. I know it is strange. I also have my mirror down a little so I can peek on my kids. I drive a jeep Cherokee. One case I always think of, is the mom who got in her vehicle and back up over her daughter, thinking she was already in the car. I guess if you use mirrors you wouldn't be able to tell if everyone was in, I still turn around. Guess it is a better habit. I could just ramble about these accidents all day.

There is a HUGE HUGE problem with any such "warning device", mainly being it won't always work reliably and the manufacturer will face GIANT lawsuits as they suddenly will be solely responsible for making sure babies are not left in hot cars.

Pressure/weight sensitive warning devices are not at all reliable. Police cars that carry Police K9's are often outfitted with sophisticated hot n pop units that measure temperature and will open windows and sound alarms if the temperature rises for any reason.

Those same units do NOT have pressure sensitive warning matts to alert officers that the dog is being left in a vehicle when the system is off simply because they are too unreliable. Instead the units have a pager that goes off the moment the unit/car is shut off and says "REMOVE K9 FROM VEHICLE" until the officer turns the pager off. I am sure simple beepers that say "REMOVE CHILD FROM VEHICLE" could be created but then again if the batteries died and the beeper didn't go off....lawsuit.

But it is funny that you said that, when I read this story I was thinking "If only the family could sue someone! If a child dies fairness dictates there should always be a lawsuit." and you volunteered the perfect solution that would allow for just that very thing!

Someone needs to explain to me how the babysitter didn't see the child in the car if she was just 'a few feet away'.

I don't and will never understand the mentality of leaving a child in a hot car. You would think one would check with the babysitter to make sure all kids were accounted for, regardless of the circumstances.

Geez I could never even forget my car in my car so I never understand these cases. Although the mind numbness and sadness of a funeral, I can see it better. If the babysitter is babysitting kids she needs to look after all of them. I don't know how the two parties didn't know neither had the little one.prayers for them. What a horrible outcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are devises out there...I just wish someone would hurry up and market these wonderful inventions!

Those inventions are being promoted by college students and a 7 year old not business people. There is a reason the baby seat manufacturers have NOT taken that technology mainstream and it isn't because they don't think it would sell more baby car seats.

It is because they have legal departments.

There are devises out there...I just wish someone would hurry up and market these wonderful inventions!

Dallas teens invent alarm that could save young lives
http://www.wfaa.com/news/technology/safe-babi-103834369.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=l7FEpDe9lBw

Smart Car Seat
Smart Car Seat - YouTube

Love this one!
Forget-Me-Not Baby Car Seat Alarm - YouTube

Love the third one! What a smart little guy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They drove to the babysitters house AFTER the funeral with him still in the back seat.. So very sad. This is about 20 min. from where I live.

The family, who was in town from Lehigh Acres, dropped Kyrese and his young siblings off at a house on 5th Avenue E. in Palmetto with a babysitter before carpooling to a funeral.

They thought all the kids had made it safely inside before leaving the car in the driveway with Kyrese inside.

"They get back from the funeral several hours later," Dave Bristow with the Manatee County Sheriff's Office explains, "and they ask where the 3-year-old was, and the babysitter said, 'I thought he was with you?'"

more at link: http://www.ksdk.com/news/article/385620/28/Kyrese-Anderson-dies-in-car-while-parents-attend-funeral

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PoignantEcho
Back