Mob buries rape suspect alive - in victim's grave.

Hope they at least had the right guy.

Mob justice isn't the way to handle these situations. However, I'm willing to look the other way in this instance.

Same here. If they knew it was him who did it and I was there I might have helped them.

Hard call, isn't it? But in the victim's grave - at her funeral? I dunno. Maybe someplace shallow...

They buried a 17 year old boy alive, without a shred of evidence afaik that he was guilty. Hard call? Only if you approve of murder.

Hard call, isn't it? But in the victim's grave - at her funeral? I dunno. Maybe someplace shallow...

What would make them think the victim would want her murderer/rapist buried with her?

Bet they got a low crime rate, you think.

Bet they got a low crime rate, you think.

No they don't. On the contrary, their murder rate is nearly double that of the US...

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate"]List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

They buried a 17 year old boy alive, without a shred of evidence afaik that he was guilty. Hard call? Only if you approve of murder.

I was responding to the post above mine, in which it was a supposition that he -was- actually guilty.

Context is awesome.

I thought at first the thread was about the mob here, as in Tony Soprano style. This mob better make sure they aren't false accusations before going berserk at a funeral. There's no word on whether he survived or not, and no mention of evidence or why they thought he did it.

I thought at first the thread was about the mob here, as in Tony Soprano style. This mob better make sure they aren't false accusations before going berserk at a funeral. There's no word on whether he survived or not, and no mention of evidence or why they thought he did it.

according to http://www.newsdaily.com/article/f6...ecutor-2-charged-in-bolivia-highland-lynching he died (since it's a murder case not attempted murder)

LA PAZ, Bolivia (AP) — Two members of an indigenous Quechua community in Bolivia's highlands will be tried for murder for allegedly leading a mob that buried alive a teenager suspected of raping and killing a woman, a prosecutor said Friday.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/world-news/two-held-over-live-burial-of-murder-suspect.21295334
Jose Luis Barrios, the chief prosecutor in Potosi province where the lynching took place, said police had identified the dead youth, 17-year-old Santos Ramos, as a suspect for the attack on a woman aged 35 in a Quechua community near the district of Colquechaca.

Wondering how sure the police were if he was not in custody

I guess there's a lot of black humour here, since we see so many rapists and killers get off scot free or get joke sentences, or just are never caught...

I'm not ashamed to say I have wished mob justice on more than one killer in my time.

The reality of it is not the same thing, though - of course, he should have gone to court and the mob were being idiotic and criminal in thier behaviour.

But c'mon. Who hasn't wished vengeance of Old Testament proportion on one or another of the child killers we hear about here?

Not me! :shakehead:

i am peruvian born and bred and cases like this do happen but my way of thinking is that two wrongs do not make a right, human law is flawed and people might get frustrated but to bury someone alive under suspicion that he might (or not) be a rapist? it send us back to the middle ages where anyone could be burnt as a witch because of someone else's word.
we look aghast at middle eastern countries were women are stoned to death, men are mutilated under some idea of "law" but i see no difference here.
was this youth guilty? or they thought he might be guilty?
as with the death penalty in other countries, i don't want the blood of an innocent man/woman in my hands and conscience under some warped idea of "justice"

I guess there's a lot of black humour here, since we see so many rapists and killers get off scot free or get joke sentences, or just are never caught...

I'm not ashamed to say I have wished mob justice on more than one killer in my time.

The reality of it is not the same thing, though - of course, he should have gone to court and the mob were being idiotic and criminal in thier behaviour.

But c'mon. Who hasn't wished vengeance of Old Testament proportion on one or another of the child killers we hear about here?

Not me! :shakehead:

IF, they got the right guy, I have little problem with this. Evidently, according to an article above, police presence is scarce in that area. I normally don't back vigilantism, but it appears that wheels of justice in this part of their country is difficult to get. All of my prior comments are based on assuming they got the right guy.

i am peruvian born and bred and cases like this do happen but my way of thinking is that two wrongs do not make a right, human law is flawed and people might get frustrated but to bury someone alive under suspicion that he might (or not) be a rapist? it send us back to the middle ages where anyone could be burnt as a witch because of someone else's word.
we look aghast at middle eastern countries were women are stoned to death, men are mutilated under some idea of "law" but i see no difference here.
was this youth guilty? or they thought he might be guilty?
as with the death penalty in other countries, i don't want the blood of an innocent man/woman in my hands and conscience under some warped idea of "justice"

I'm anti death penalty, but not because I think it's wrong to kill someone who killed a multitude of people or killed one and is a big danger of killing more. I'm anti death penalty because innocents get it and I don't support that.

That might seem odd with my saying I support these people. I don't know what I'd have done had I been there. I like to think I'd try to save him for court, but if I was convinced he did it, I might just look the other way.

It seems this happened in a part of the world that is very different from ours.

*This was posted while on Ambien and not being able to sleep. If the post looks weird to you, that probably explains it. Well, as far as you know. :giggle:

police presence in areas like the andes is scarce or minimal but that does not give a mob the right to dispense justice. how can they be a 100% sure that this was the guy who did it?
i have traveled quite extensively in peru, bolivia is pretty similar (hey, we were the same country once upon a time) and it is a rough place to live and grow up but this kind of justice doesn't show this people at their best.
i don't support the DP because of its flaws (innocents being executed), i wouldn't support shari'a law either...not much difference between that type of law and what happened in bolivia.
english is my second language, so excuse if i made no sense.
nothing can excuse the rape of a woman,child or man
nothing can justify mob justice

not so far ago, people were being lynched because of the colour of their skin and based on hearsay, so what is the difference here?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suesleuth
Back