1197 users online (236 members and 961 guests)  

Websleuths News

Unhappy Mass Bee Grave Discovered in Oregon Parking Lot

Mass Bee Grave Discovered in Oregon Parking Lot

A mass grave has been discovered today in a parking lot in Oregon. Human remains weren’t found, but corpses of bumble bees. (If a bumble bee has a corpse.) About 25,000 bumble bee corpses were counted. So far it has been called the biggest mass death in Portland history. Rich Hatfield, a Portland-based biologist said: ”There were literally falling out of the trees, to our knowledge, this is one of the largest documented bumble bee deaths in the Western U.S. It was heartbreaking to watch.” The bumble bees final resting place was beneath EuropeanLinden trees. (These trees were already in full bloom.)

There is a lot of speculation about the motive for these senseless deaths. Some sources inside the biologist community argue that the discovered Oregon parking lot deaths are related to acute pesticide poisoning, because the aforementioned Linden trees have been sprayed with a form of pesticide.

http://guardianlv.com/2013/06/mass-g...-are-involved/
    What lies behind you and what lies in front of you pales in comparison to what lies inside of you....
    Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

Reading further this is very interesting. It is unknown if the cause of death to the bees is pesticides as this particular type of Linden tree is already toxic to them! How fascinating. Hope they find the cause and replace the trees if necessary. Wish that the tree toxin was good against the ever present bedbug epidemic. Wouldn't that be great to have a natural toxin to fight those things.

Unless I have included a link, it is my opinion and only my opinion that I am expressing.

Ass end of nowhere, hell hole of a holler
    Quote Originally Posted by 21merc7 View Post
    Reading further this is very interesting. It is unknown if the cause of death to the bees is pesticides as this particular type of Linden tree is already toxic to them! How fascinating. Hope they find the cause and replace the trees if necessary. Wish that the tree toxin was good against the ever present bedbug epidemic. Wouldn't that be great to have a natural toxin to fight those things.
    I grow many heirlooms. I need bees to pollinate. I neither use pesticides for insects, although (I am considering using epsom salts solution on stink bugs)nor herbicides on weeds. Do GMOs require bees? Wasn't there a problem last year or so about a big company, M? Trying to sue organic farmers in adjacent fields because the wind drifted their chemicals over to the organic fields & they 'benefited' from this wind drift???