821 users online (136 members and 685 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

TX - Teen dies after impaling self on horn of bull sculpture while playing at 3 a.m.

Boy, 14, impales himself on horn of bull sculpture and dies while playing hide-and-seek with friends. (Daily Mail)
    A 14-year-old Texas boy has died in a freak accident after accidentally impaling himself through the chest on the horn of a bull sculpture.

Police say Miguel Martinez was playing hide-and-seek about 3am on Saturday in front of the National Ranching Heritage Center on the campus of Texas Tech University in Lubbock.

In the excitement of the game, he ran into the pointed horn of a bull sculpture outside the museum. The metal horn pierced him through the chest.
    ---
    The ranching museum features a display of five life-size bull statues on the lawn outside its main entrance.

The long, curved horns on three of bulls are pointed outward.
    ---
    more, with pictures of the sculptures, at link above

Horrible but I wonder about the playing hide-n-seek at 3:00 a.m.

Teenagers... Good grief. The poor family.
    “Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all." -Abp Oscar Romero

Tragic forsure but come'on people you do all see the ironee here right..you know the old saying if your gonna mess with the bull you get the horns kinda ironee...I can't be the only one to have thought it ..
    Everything I Write Is JMHO ..

Quote Originally Posted by miimaa View Post
    Horrible but I wonder about the playing hide-n-seek at 3:00 a.m.

For a teenager on summer break, it sounds pretty normal to me.

Wow...how tragic! Poor kid! Poor family!

I wonder if the bull will be removed now. I can't image walking by that thing every day after knowing what happened.

Sounds like kind of a dangerous thing to have on the front lawn anyway. Horrible way to go, and only fourteen. Sad case.

Quote Originally Posted by Cappuccino View Post
    Sounds like kind of a dangerous thing to have on the front lawn anyway. Horrible way to go, and only fourteen. Sad case.
    It was in front of a huge museum, the statues had lights on them so they were very visible. Removing the statues because people decide to trespass on the Museum property at 3 am and hurt themselves by running into things is ridiculous, they are beautiful works of art.

Regardless I am sure new safety precautions will now be in order. Nova should be along soon to offer some suggestions and point out any liability issues that the Museum should faulted for.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonya610 View Post
    It was in front of a huge museum, the statues had lights on them so they were very visible. Removing the statues because people decide to trespass on the Museum property at 3 am and hurt themselves by running into things is ridiculous, they are beautiful works of art.

Regardless I am sure new safety precautions will now be in order. Nova should be along soon to offer some suggestions and point out any liability issues that the Museum should faulted for.
    You really can't protect people from themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Oblio View Post
    For a teenager on summer break, it sounds pretty normal to me.
    Not any kid of mine it wouldn't be

I can not think of one reason for a 14 yr old to be out at 3 a.m. not one.
    It's my opinion if no link provided.

Misspellings due to fat fingers

Words matter.

You don't know what you don't know.

Teenagers sneak out. Break their curfew. Stay out way too late. Always have, always will. Even the "good" kids did and do.

Doesn't have to be a parents' fault.
    “Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all." -Abp Oscar Romero

Quote Originally Posted by miimaa View Post
    Not any kid of mine it wouldn't be
    Kids do all sorts of things they don't tell parents about. Many sneak in and out of the house and the parent is none the wiser

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.---Patrick Moynihan
    Living in the

Quote Originally Posted by Gardenlady View Post
    Teenagers sneak out. Break their curfew. Stay out way too late. Always have, always will. Even the "good" kids did and do.

Doesn't have to be a parents' fault.
    This was me for sure lol.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.---Patrick Moynihan
    Living in the

I've never been to the heritage center to know if the teens had to climb over a gate or fence to get to the entrance, but it's set up like an old frontier area with some old houses and displays. It's not the art museum. Those horns looks dangerous.
    Last edited by txsvicki; 06-25-2013 at 05:53 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast