1514 users online (377 members and 1137 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Is My Unsolved Mystery Connected With Gary Hilton? PLEASE READ

This is my very first thread here, and I am writing a bit feverishly because I am wondering, reading these threads, if Gary Hilton isn't the explanation for a very weird and creepy series of events that happened when I was very young, to me and a friend of mine. There has been this mystery we have carried for 25 or so years. Its a very long story (and a spooky one) and I had almost given up on figuring out what had happened. Maybe GH is the missing link, maybe not, but its all a little too creepy. I am shivering right now, and its summer in los angeles.

i grew up in a town called ball ground. this is a teensy town in north georgia. this started going on when i was about 14, in the summer, so that had to be '86, '87. i spent alot of time at her house, which was a trailer, like mine. it backed up onto a pretty deep expanse of woods, and then it hit highway five. everybody knows how the kudzu is up there and that stuff grows ten feet a day. it was easy to get lost in the woods, or find things that weren't so easy to find next time out.

my friend proceeds to tell me how she and her sister were up in the woods one day, and got a little lost. and they stumbled on this shed up in the woods. there was a cot in there, and a hole dug, and what they said looked like a little girl's shirt hanging from a nail with brown stains all over it. they turned and ran.
    it was common knowledge too that there was a schoolbus parked up in the woods, and these three drunks used to live, without power, parked by a small river, in this schoolbus. it must have been up there for decades, because the only road up there was all rutted and overgrown. bizarrely, my best friend's great uncle owned the land and let the men move in there. he didn't care.
    they were telling me all this and we went up to investigate, and found the bus. the river next to the bus was absolutely disgusting. you could tell they used it for an outhouse, and it was filled with old beer cans as well. then, shortly after, we found this old shed. except it was knocked down, with an tin roof on top. it didn't look like it had collapsed from age. and it wasn't overgrown. strange. we tried to lift it but as we did one of the two dobermans we had taken up there with us came howling up with blood smeared on the side of her face. it was definitely a "wth" moment, one of the strangest in my life, because i could CLEARLY see someone standing up there, in the bushes, watching us. we got spooked and ran off, and started sleuthing in as circumspect way as we could for a couple of 14 year olds.

this could get really long and drawn out but suffice to say there were some weird family members living on this land and alot of personal, bizarre, disgusting stuff going down there that i have to leave out. but suffice to say, it sets the stage for believing just about anything went on up on those woods. that its QUITE possible that gary hilton may have been one of the dudes up there who lived in a shed, or lived in that bus. there was a revolving chorus of drunks that took shelter up there, and spied on my best friend's sister when she was laying out in the sun, that sort of thing. and we started figuring out that there were all these trails leading from a family member's house right to the bus, right to the shed, things we hadn't noticed in the summer. once stuff died back you could see these trails. we are like, why the hell is this family member traipsing up and down? what's going on up there?

we would have probably abandoned it after that but the fact was, someone knew we knew something, or was sniffing around, because there were definitely people watching my friend's trailer, walking around and night and crouching outside the door, shining flashlights in on us when we would be sitting in the living room, and a certain family member who lived in the house that had the trails up to the woods started giving us cold, weird glances. really, this story is so interwoven with so much other dark stuff its hard to pull them apart. i am trying to stay on topic, but laying some foundation so that my point comes across more clearly and i don't sound like am pulling stuff out of the sky.

my point is this- we have reason to believe that someone may had been murdered up there. and when i started reading about gary's camps my head just started swimming. i started adding all these pieces together.

the strange thing is, that the reason i found this forum is because i was looking up my friend trevor mcfarland. he and i went to elementary school together for about 7 years (it was a small school, k-8) and his dad and mine were drinking buddies, and we even rode the same school bus in the morning, for all those years. then later on he got heavy into meth and then disappeared with a godfrey, whose first name i don't know, and someone else. apparently he was murdered, and i was looking up to see if anything had ever been concluded on that. then i found this, and i am seeing all these georgia names and places and finding out that GH had been doing this stuff for a long time, and that it is totally possible that maybe he could have been up in my neck of the woods back then and done something, or stayed up there.

all these years i have gone to jane doe websites and read about unsolved crimes in GA and all this, trying to make some sort of connection with my friend's family member and this series of happenings that went on there and the stuff we found out. its probably worth mentioning too that my friend's other great uncle had died in 1969, and family legend was that he had murdered a few people and pulled their teeth out with pliers. i know that sounds completely bizarre, but this family has some dark stuff going on. so if dark stuff was passing through my town, it would have been right at home in those woods. its just a little too creepy. if any of this stuff rings any bells with anybody please comment. wondering what went on up there still keeps me up at night sometimes, all the way in california and 25 years later. maybe its nothing. maybe it isn't.

Hi, themysterymachine, and welcome to WebSleuths.

I have to say - that surely is one of the creepiest stories I have heard in a while. I am just so sorry that it had to be a true one.

I can't be of much help with your request right now, but if you ever want to write a book on what happened up in those hills, please let me know. Writing is what I do, and I'd be honoured to help you.

Is that place still around? Do you think you could go up there and try to find it or figure stuff out?

I'd go with at least two friends (Mainly because I'm scared of the Deep South, and because it might be safer with more people) and try to find something. Who knows? Maybe the bus is still up there and the people all died off or went onto different things. You could possibly find a missing person.

I really want to know more about this! Very interesting!

thanks for the encouragement guys. i wish i could say definitively that it is still there. my friend's great uncle who lived on the land, he is dead. his house- which was a falling down two story was torn down the rest of the way. we always said we would try and get in that house and find something when he died. by the time he died i was in california and my friend was addicted to meth. we aren't really friends anymore unfortunately.

the expanse of woods i think has been pulled down as well. its been years since i been there. i think they built a school nearby. i really felt, after all these years, that if there was something buried there it would have been found. in that area, and i know this because my sister's husband is an archeologist who has dug extensively in that county, that they are very careful during excavations because so many remains are found in that area, of cherokee and creek descent. so they always bring out the cherokee nation and do a blessing, and have to go through very specific protocol to deal with it. so they just don't go in and toss bones to the side. it happened with the walmart that they built nearby, anytime they find remains they have to be very careful and shut the site down and people can't come in. i just think something WAS there, and someone dug it up.

i don't know if i mentioned this in my last post, i don't think i did, but for what its worth, my friend who lived on this land and i experienced all this with, she was someone i always trusted because until drugs came along, she was incapable of telling a lie. she had a crude honesty about her that was one of the main reasons we were friends for so long. when she told me something, i believed it. so, i knew that she had had dreams of a sort of prophetic nature. whether you believe in that or not, i can tell you that most people who are born and descended from mountain folk like we were, we believed in those types of things implicitly. i grew up with ghost stories and tales of my grandfather coming home at night years after he had died, that sort of thing. its really common with appalachian people, people like mine who came off the boat from scotland and ireland and england and didn't roam, just stayed where they found themselves.
    so whether you believe it or not, that's what i grew up with, so when my friend told me a few days after we went up to that shed and ran off because we saw someone watching, she had a dream that somebody went up there and took whatever was up there and put it into black plastic garbage bags. she called me up and told me about it. it freaked me out but her sister and her went up there and the roof had been moved, thrown aside. there wasn't nothing under there.

another dream she had (again, for what its worth) concerned an old wardrobe that stood at the foot of their bed. she had a few dreams where someone was coming out of that wardrobe with a knife. and she would wake up and the door, which clicked shut, would be open. she told me about those dreams right after the shed thing happened. i don't think there really was someone there, but its possible that it told some kind of truth, that maybe someone really bad was very close by.

the rest of the stuff that happened was much more real than that. for a few summers, especially that first summer, things would happen that could not at all be a dream, or in our minds. her mother worked as a security guard and her father would do those sort of drunken disappearances like my own dad- stay gone for days, come home and pass out. alot of the time he was useless. her sister was gone, her brother would be gone, and i always went to her place because it was really close by and both of us were scared. we started getting in this constant state of fear, and yet we wanted to know what was gonna happen next, because i think we needed stuff to happen so we would know it wasn't our imagination. and after that shed visit, we would hear people walking around the trailer at night, running away if we walked outside. we had someone shine a flashlight into the front door while we were sitting inside terrified with the lights out because we heard walking from behind the trailer where the trails were- the same network of trails that connected to the bus and the shed, which again, we didn't notice til fall. we heard two men talking beneath her window, whispering, then walking around the trailer. and her great uncle started standing at the end of the driveway hiding behind some cars in the driveway. he would just be sitting there, listening to our conversations. at reunions he would just stare at her, coldly, silently. this man in and of himself was a completely evil man. the only thing i can say here without getting really personal with someone else's history is that he was caught by my friend's dad having sex with her aunt in the woods. he didn't let them know he saw them, but he was freaked out by it. the next week she had a new car. he had alot of money. the family he "liked" had nice things. the rest of her family (this is all on her mother's side) stayed away from him. and they were all the more decent, dirt poor, down to earth ones that i liked the best. they hated him. he would have been right at home with someone like gary hilton. and he let men camp on his land, right in that area.

its creepy too cause i used to hike all over dawson forest, where they found levi frady, the little boy. i always heard that was a drug thing, a drug dealer's revenge because i guess the little boy's dad was involved in some kind of thing. but i find it really hard to believe, knowing those people up there like i do, crazy and as methed out as they are, that they would kill somebody's little boy like that over a drug beef. my friend, who later on wound up being a tweaker herself, she never heard any scuttlebutt or rumors about that being a drug thing and she was pretty clued in. she knew about our friend trevor macfarland, who has been mentioned a couple times as maybe being a victim of GH, and that that was a drug thing too. but now i just don't know. the only found parts of him. which goes back in my mind to GH cutting people up.

maybe i should contact the GBI, but i just don't really have any evidence. if they could mention some names to him and he would say, "yeah, i knew those people", then there you would have something. i just don't know how to approach it.

i don't mean to inundate, but i guess i feel like all this is so crazy that i have to add this one last story, which wound up being the last story, actually. it was the last thing that happened, and it happened when i was around 23. so that goes to show you how long we had stuff happening. some of it was supernatural like i i mentioned earlier. most of it was stuff you couldn't deny. i am not real fond of the supernatural side of it because this could be a case, i don't want to dilute it with stuff that cops can't work with, so i won't go real into that. but this was definitely NOT supernatural.

i was home late one night, at around 1 or 2 in the morning. my friend calls me totally panicking. once again, she is home alone, or at least, practically speaking she is, because her dad is passed out drunk and her mom is at work and she's by herself. she is the sort that rarely panics- she was blessed with a lack of imagination in that way, stuff that would terrify me she would just pass off- but she was terrified.

she said she kept hearing ripping and punching noises coming from the back where her bedroom was.

now, this trailer was probably new in the sixties, but it was falling down. her dad had attempted to add on to it at some point, which meant he added a brick foundation in the back and framed out walls and that was about it. so her bedroom was this rough framed unfinished room with the wardrobe in there, smushed in, and the walls were just one layer of presserboard or whatever they call that stuff. you could see the framing. they stuffed old clothes up in the rafters to keep the wind out. it was rickety.
    but there was a weird concrete step area at the end of the room where he had planned to put a door and never had. so you had this wall that met stairs. it was weird.

the thing was, you could easily punch through those walls, and someone did, with her father in there passed out drunk. she was terrified to get to his bedroom and get one of his rifles, because she would have had to pass her doorway, which was only covered by a curtain. i kept telling her to run out, run out, but she was too scared to do it. i told her to call the cops but everyone knew the cops in our town were crooked as hell. just totally useless. they had taken a couple of her aunt's husbands out on dirt roads and beat them senseless. one had tried to rape my mum's best friend. they were just as evil. she wanted me to come over, but i didn't have a car and didn't live in the same place as i had lived growing up. so i just stayed on the phone with her and she just cried. i was helpless.
    finally, the noise stopped, and she went into the bedroom. and the entire freaking wall above her bed was just ripped right out. and i saw it too. i mean, THE WALL was shredded. right above her bed. that just freaked us, still freaks me out to this day, just imagining walking into that bedroom and seeing that. it was like we both felt like we had gone too far. it was way over our heads and it just felt like there was nothing we could do about anything.

it could have been over something else, maybe. it could have been a friend of hers on a rampage. but why didn't they call her name? why did they know that her dad was passed out? it was someone on that land, of that i am sure. all those trails- living on that land nothing really belonged to you. it was all his.

i just don't know.

I am very glad you got away from there! It sure sounds like an oppressive, scary place to be.

Look, in my opinion it might not hurt to contact some LEO's you feel okay to talk to (not corrupt..) and just mention your suspicions of what might have been going on and that it's bothered you all this time.

For the risk of 'wasting' a few minutes of somebody's work day, you might be also offering them a clue to a missing person or something.

It might also help you find some closure from those dark memories. They can be a real weight to carry around, even if we don't think of them day to day all the time..

Could you use Google Earth to look at the local area - try to see what is still around that you are familiar with? If the bus is still there, you might even be able to see it.

Fascinating (and scary!) experiences you had. Glad you survived them.

TMM (Can I call you that? It's much shorter.)

Have you looked at the dates on the timeline for Hilton to see if your possible scenario is feasible using those dates?

My theory is "When in doubt send it all to LE and let them sort it out."
    They are privy to a lot more info than any of us are. They may be able to take one look/read and know if it is worth checking into.

ETA: I have this theory that Hilton sometimes killed for no other reason than he needed transportation or did not want to use his own. That he left no witnesses and simply enjoyed killing. But that's just my take on it. I think a good number of his victims were killed when it was cold outside. Not too comfortable for camping, IMO. Just my take on it though... HTH

The location you grew up in fits his later years stomping grounds... Near Chamblee and Tabors.

Additionally, Hilton is under detainer in Jacksonville, FL FDOC. If anybody can figure out why I would love to know. Thanks
    Last edited by dsntslp; 07-06-2013 at 09:52 PM.

We can help you look if you can give us more details like the name of the street or something.

Holy moly, what you are writing about is SO SCARY. It's noon on a sunny Sunday morning and I've got the chills.

Seriously, if you can provide more details, locations and so forth, people here can help you. Not speaking for myself, because I'm no where near as skilled as others here, but you have a huge group of very good minds that can help you. Even give you more info to give to the authorities if that is what you decide to do.

I'm so glad that you survived this crazy weirdness that happened to you in Georgia. No one should have to have these things haunting them.
    Last edited by inthedark14; 07-07-2013 at 01:51 PM. Reason: ETA :facepalm

On Discovery ID they have a story about Meredith Emerson murder by the hands of GH. Show is intense. Repeats again on Friday at 1am EST and Saturday at 4pm EST.

Poor Meredith
    Last edited by trigger; 07-11-2013 at 09:35 PM. Reason: put in the times
    The World Has Gone Mad.

Quote Originally Posted by themysterymachine View Post
    This is my very first thread here, and I am writing a bit feverishly because I am wondering, reading these threads, if Gary Hilton isn't the explanation for a very weird and creepy series of events that happened when I was very young, to me and a friend of mine. There has been this mystery we have carried for 25 or so years. Its a very long story (and a spooky one) and I had almost given up on figuring out what had happened. Maybe GH is the missing link, maybe not, but its all a little too creepy. I am shivering right now, and its summer in los angeles.

i grew up in a town called ball ground. this is a teensy town in north georgia. this started going on when i was about 14, in the summer, so that had to be '86, '87. i spent alot of time at her house, which was a trailer, like mine. it backed up onto a pretty deep expanse of woods, and then it hit highway five. everybody knows how the kudzu is up there and that stuff grows ten feet a day. it was easy to get lost in the woods, or find things that weren't so easy to find next time out.

my friend proceeds to tell me how she and her sister were up in the woods one day, and got a little lost. and they stumbled on this shed up in the woods. there was a cot in there, and a hole dug, and what they said looked like a little girl's shirt hanging from a nail with brown stains all over it. they turned and ran.
    it was common knowledge too that there was a schoolbus parked up in the woods, and these three drunks used to live, without power, parked by a small river, in this schoolbus. it must have been up there for decades, because the only road up there was all rutted and overgrown. bizarrely, my best friend's great uncle owned the land and let the men move in there. he didn't care.
    they were telling me all this and we went up to investigate, and found the bus. the river next to the bus was absolutely disgusting. you could tell they used it for an outhouse, and it was filled with old beer cans as well. then, shortly after, we found this old shed. except it was knocked down, with an tin roof on top. it didn't look like it had collapsed from age. and it wasn't overgrown. strange. we tried to lift it but as we did one of the two dobermans we had taken up there with us came howling up with blood smeared on the side of her face. it was definitely a "wth" moment, one of the strangest in my life, because i could CLEARLY see someone standing up there, in the bushes, watching us. we got spooked and ran off, and started sleuthing in as circumspect way as we could for a couple of 14 year olds.

this could get really long and drawn out but suffice to say there were some weird family members living on this land and alot of personal, bizarre, disgusting stuff going down there that i have to leave out. but suffice to say, it sets the stage for believing just about anything went on up on those woods. that its QUITE possible that gary hilton may have been one of the dudes up there who lived in a shed, or lived in that bus. there was a revolving chorus of drunks that took shelter up there, and spied on my best friend's sister when she was laying out in the sun, that sort of thing. and we started figuring out that there were all these trails leading from a family member's house right to the bus, right to the shed, things we hadn't noticed in the summer. once stuff died back you could see these trails. we are like, why the hell is this family member traipsing up and down? what's going on up there?

we would have probably abandoned it after that but the fact was, someone knew we knew something, or was sniffing around, because there were definitely people watching my friend's trailer, walking around and night and crouching outside the door, shining flashlights in on us when we would be sitting in the living room, and a certain family member who lived in the house that had the trails up to the woods started giving us cold, weird glances. really, this story is so interwoven with so much other dark stuff its hard to pull them apart. i am trying to stay on topic, but laying some foundation so that my point comes across more clearly and i don't sound like am pulling stuff out of the sky.

my point is this- we have reason to believe that someone may had been murdered up there. and when i started reading about gary's camps my head just started swimming. i started adding all these pieces together.

the strange thing is, that the reason i found this forum is because i was looking up my friend trevor mcfarland. he and i went to elementary school together for about 7 years (it was a small school, k-8) and his dad and mine were drinking buddies, and we even rode the same school bus in the morning, for all those years. then later on he got heavy into meth and then disappeared with a godfrey, whose first name i don't know, and someone else. apparently he was murdered, and i was looking up to see if anything had ever been concluded on that. then i found this, and i am seeing all these georgia names and places and finding out that GH had been doing this stuff for a long time, and that it is totally possible that maybe he could have been up in my neck of the woods back then and done something, or stayed up there.

all these years i have gone to jane doe websites and read about unsolved crimes in GA and all this, trying to make some sort of connection with my friend's family member and this series of happenings that went on there and the stuff we found out. its probably worth mentioning too that my friend's other great uncle had died in 1969, and family legend was that he had murdered a few people and pulled their teeth out with pliers. i know that sounds completely bizarre, but this family has some dark stuff going on. so if dark stuff was passing through my town, it would have been right at home in those woods. its just a little too creepy. if any of this stuff rings any bells with anybody please comment. wondering what went on up there still keeps me up at night sometimes, all the way in california and 25 years later. maybe its nothing. maybe it isn't.
    TMM, I live in the Tate, GA, Hwy 5/53 area (fish pond house)and prolly know of many of the folks that you mention. I have been backtracking and researching GMH for over 5 years. According to him, he was active since 14 years old when he shot his stepfather in Hialeah, FL.. GMH's sketch is on the GBI's Levi frady website, along with another man named Frank, who died a couple years ago, imo.

Below is a google map link of the probable area that you are referring too. There has been a new elementary school built there in the last couple years.
    Northridge rd., Ballground. The landowner that you mention wasn't Rock Man, was it> Oscar Roberts? I knew Oscar, about as good as anyone could, I guess..that admits it..

Your friend Trevor McFarland, went hunting on Burnt Mountain with 2 friends(T. Heath & ?). Trevor, never came out of the woods, but his two friends did. After searching a few days, they both were arrested. One was found innocent & the other was locked up in Gilmer County. After about a year, word is that the Sheriff unlocked TH's cell door and said, 'you're free to go, just don't ask any questions'..

Trevor's remains were located about a year after his disappearance in some woods at the intersection of goshen church rd & Hwy#136/Burnt Mtn. Rd., Dawson County. This location is near where GMH wrote the script for the 'Deadly Run movie'- Hunting Humans(Rent on Netflix/Buy Amazon)by his attorney Samuel Rael 1994. A synonymous incident to Trevor's demise is scripted in the DR Movie.. The script was written in the old abandoned Anderson/Goss house that set on the Amicalola River at Steve Tate Hwy, on the left going towards Hwy #136..

I also located 2 sites/dens of GMH's in the wildcat tract; dawson forest wma, which was once the old turner property..off steve tate Hwy/Burnt Mtn.. One was located back in the 90's; deep in the forest, much like you described.. It had a very evil aura and had that goat smell that has been described as being associated with cannibalism, imo..
    The other den/ritual grounds was located in the wildcat creek campground..closest campsite to the creek..

RE: i used to hike all over dawson forest, where they found levi frady, the little boy. i always heard that was a drug thing, a drug dealer's revenge
    'You can throw a rock from Levi's remains were found and hit where Patrice Endres and Meredith Emerson's torso was located on shoal creek rd. Her head was located about a half mile away under a fallen tree. GMH had also left a clean blouse and a white garbage bag hidden nearby. He was planning on retrieving it later...imo.. GMH said in his interview with the GBI on 01/07/2008, 'this is not the only body that has been dumped out here..

Here's a google map link of the probable area that you are referring too. There has been a new elementary school built there in the last couple years. A small creek runs through there..
    Northridge rd., Ballground.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=H...ra=ls&t=m&z=13

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/dateline/44289108#44288468

The Mystery on Blood Mountain, Part 1
    Gary Hilton is identified as a person of interest in the disappearance of Meredith Emerson after police receive a tip from his former employer. After authorities release Hilton's photo, people outside Tallahassee, Florida remember seeing him around the time nurse Cheryl Dunlop was murdered in a National Forest.
    Last edited by Foxfire; 07-12-2013 at 12:50 AM.

http://www.dawsonnews.com/section/5/article/12486/

Cable series profiles Emerson murder
    By Michele Hester Staff Writer
    mhester@dawsonnews.com
    POSTED: July 10, 2013 4:00 a.m.
    A crime series on the cable channel Investigation Discovery will profile serial killer Gary Michael Hilton, the drifter who admitted to killing a young Buford woman in the Dawson Forest Wildlife Management Area in January 2008.

Dawson County Sheriff's Lt. Col. John Cagle, a former special agent with the Georgia Bureau of Investigation who led the investigation into Emerson's disappearance, will be featured in the Fatal Encounters documentary "Blood Mountain Murder" that first airs at 9 p.m. tomorrow.

"I did this with certain conditions about her final hours that they agreed to and they respected my request," he said.

Five and a half years after the murder, the veteran lawman said the grizzly discovery that missing hiker Meredith Emerson had been killed in the Dawson Forest Wildlife Management Area is one of the few cases that continues to haunt him.

"We caught the guy and prevented more murders, but we didn't save Meredith and that is something that I seem unable to recover from," Cagle said.
    Read More-

TMM, I also live in the N Ga Mountains and I believe every word you are saying. I have seen behavior similar to what you describe in some of the people around here. The only thing I would say is be cautious who you contact in regards to this. Make sure it is someone you can trust. The "Good Ole Boy" network is alive and well in these mountains.
    All my posts are MHO!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast