UK Bad beef, dodgy dumplings, mob-caused affright: a Victorian coroner's notebooks

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Not all were that bizarre really. From Daily Mail:

Bad beef, rows over the washing line and dodgy dumplings: Coroner's fascinating files reveal the bizarre ways Victorians died
From rows over a washing line to eating dodgy food, some of the more unusual ways the Victorians died have been uncovered in a series of notebooks found in a coroners' files.

A series of handwritten manuscripts, compiled by Thomas Taylor, County Coroner for Yorkshire from 1852 to 1900, spill the details on the ways more than 17,000 people met their demise.

Among the more curious cases is the wealthy Eliza Coulson, whose cause of death was recorded as being from eating bad beef and dubious dumplings in 1868.
---
Sarah Hughes meanwhile died from natural causes 'accelerated by fright occasioned by riotous proceedings of a mob'.

From mining disasters to natural causes, the notebooks, property of West Yorkshire Archive Service, record details of the inquests into sudden deaths, accidental demises and mysterious ends.
---
much more, with pictures, at the link

Interesting. I'm from that area and had to send off for a Coroners report from 1881 and it was a sad yet fascinating read.

I love it. The pictures are fascinating too, especially the little girl.

This coroner's handwriting is amazingly neat. Must have been in no hurry to leave work.

I wish language was a eloquent and descriptive today as it was then. Dubious dumplings, lol. Accelerated fright must mean a heart attack. I suppose today's language will provide a bit of curiosity one day, but lack description and poetry. Think about seeing these in 100 years: Lol, GF, BF, J/K, BRB... :sigh:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PoignantEcho
Back