Status
Not open for further replies.

Tricia

Manager Websleuths.com
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Dear Websleuths Members,

We are going to try opening one thread for the trial of George Zimmerman.

Discussions became so heated and hateful that we closed the whole Martin/Zimmerman discussion until the trial started.

If things get out of hand again we will close this thread.

Just because someone might think George Zimmerman is innocent does not make them a racist.

Just because someone thinks Trayvon Martin was killed in cold blood does not make them a racist.

Here are the rules on posting on Websleuths. I would suggest you read them and if you have any questions you can email me at tgrif@xmission.com

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159"]The Rules - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Raine1212 and myself will be the moderators of this thread.

We will open this thread first thing on the morning of Thursday June 27th

Thank you for being a part of Websleuths.

Tricia Griffith
Co-Owner Websleuths.com

Remember everyone has the right to voice their opinion.

Race is a factor in this trial.. please do not make it one here.

NO BASHING OF FELLOW POSTERS

NO NAME CALLING

NO RACIST REMARKS

IF YOU SEE A POST PLEASE ALERT DO NOT RESPOND TO THE POST

PLEASE DISCUSS LIKE ADULTS...WE UNDERSTAND THAT RACIAL ISSUES WILL BE BROUGHT UP DURING THE TRIAL AND CAN BE DISCUSSED HERE WITHOUT MAKING WEBSLEUTHS A RACIAL FORUM!

Good morning! :seeya:
I have hot coffee with International house french vanilla cream ready for anyone who desires some :blushing:

We have done a super job at not getting this thread closed down, lets keep that going :please:

Yes, I have such mixed opinions as to Rachel. She was an immature 18 yo (HS Sophomore) at the time of TM's death. He was her friend, she didn't want to see him lying there dead, she felt guilty for "being the last one to talk to him," she didn't want to see his parents crying, etc. She obviously has a long standing issue with people understanding her speech... for the slang, her colloquialisms, her sentence structure, inability to relate things in chronological order and finally the manner in which she lets words trail off into a murmur.

I realize she is traumatized but she has been very short with her response to questioning. Partly, IMO, this is due to her background. She doesn't seem to get that as a young adult (even though she is a 19 yo Junior in HS) that she is expected to act differently in different situations. I actually feel empathy for her on so many issues. BUT, her manner probably does more harm than good.

With that said, even though she lied in order to avoid being involved, initially, I do believe her about her recounting of the events of that night. Her story has remained 90+ % the same from day one. She also has difficulty repeating or answering questions, with the exact same words, when she is asked to repeat her answer.

I just hope that the jury will see that her recounting has the ring of truth.

Bringing this over from the last thread:

Originally Posted by Linda7NJ
Guess it depends where you teach.

I've been to schools where a few of the English teachers talk just like this witness.

It has nothing to do with standards and everything to do with reality.

And that in and of itself is sad.

In my home, my teenagers AND THEIR FRIENDS know that we have a certain standard that they all know and follow. If I ever hear my 13 year old son or my 16 year daughter even utter the "F" word or any other foul word, they know what will happen. My husband and I have raised our kids from a young age to have standards knowing that when they reached the teenage years, they wouldn't think twice about adhering to those standards.

I am with the other posters who feel like we, as parents, are the minority now. That to me is sad because we are failing our youth.

Yes, I have such mixed opinions as to Rachel. She was an immature 18 yo (HS Sophomore) at the time of TM's death. He was her friend, she didn't want to see him lying there dead, she felt guilty for "being the last one to talk to him," she didn't want to see his parents crying, etc. She obviously has a long standing issue with people understanding her speech... for the slang, her colloquialisms, her sentence structure, inability to relate things in chronological order and finally the manner in which she lets words trail off into a murmur.

I realize she is traumatized but she has been very short with her response to questioning. Partly, IMO, this is due to her background. She doesn't seem to get that as a young adult (even though she is a 19 yo Junior in HS) that she is expected to act differently in different situations. I actually feel empathy for her on so many issues. BUT, her manner probably does more harm than good.

With that said, even though she lied in order to avoid being involved, initially, I do believe her about her recounting of the events of that night. Her story has remained 90+ % the same from day one. She also has difficulty repeating or answering questions, with the exact same words, when she is asked to repeat her answer.

I'll be interested to see how cross continues. I think the defense started going down the road that with the times that were on the cell phone report, there seems to be noticeable gaps in the story that she's telling. I think that's why he had her read the cell report and that's going to get emphasized in closing. Something that I saw last night was the saying of 'get off me' is a new development, this is not something she referenced in her earlier depositions.

Despite her being young, despite her story, despite her attitude and demeanor on the stand, I don't know how I would feel if this was my 'star' witness.

Apparently, BS and his co-anchor (WFTV) don't realize that they were on air :)

Does anybody know where her depo with Bernie can be found?

It is really hard to find earlier documents.

TY

Depo with Bernie says a lot.

Dear Websleuths Members,

We are going to try opening one thread for the trial of George Zimmerman.

Discussions became so heated and hateful that we closed the whole Martin/Zimmerman discussion until the trial started.

If things get out of hand again we will close this thread.

Just because someone might think George Zimmerman is innocent does not make them a racist.

Just because someone thinks Trayvon Martin was killed in cold blood does not make them a racist.

Here are the rules on posting on Websleuths. I would suggest you read them and if you have any questions you can email me at tgrif@xmission.com

The Rules - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Raine1212 and myself will be the moderators of this thread.

We will open this thread first thing on the morning of Thursday June 27th

Thank you for being a part of Websleuths.

Tricia Griffith
Co-Owner Websleuths.com

Thank you, Tricia. I am so tired of the word "racist", whichever the way it is used.

she already has been caught lying under oath and she has been caught in multiple lies already. The defense, IMO is doing a really good job at showing this jury just how much of a liar she really is.

As of now, If I was a juror member, I would not believe her.

JMO

Good morning everyone.. Having my morning coffee!!!

Please remember TOS and post wisely.. TIA

Quick question. I did some reading last night, but found myself very confused(not unusual). For manslaughter to be on the table, does both the defense and prosecution have to agree to it? Or does the judge just decide? Sorry if I'm confusing anyone and if it's a dumb question, this is just the first trial I've really followed and I really didn't get that part.

Morning All. :seeya:

Looking forward to today. No matter what you think of Rachel, she IS entertaining.

Quick question. I did some reading last night, but found myself very confused(not unusual). For manslaughter to be on the table, does both the defense and prosecution have to agree to it? Or does the judge just decide? Sorry if I'm confusing anyone and if it's a dumb question, this is just the first trial I've really followed and I really didn't get that part.

It's up to the prosecution to file charges.

Too bad the last person on the phone with him was not someone who could present better on the witness stand :(

Thanks. I didn't know RJ was 19 years old and still in HS - I thought they didn't allow that, is it an alternative HS? If she has learning difficulties, then I wouldn't be too hard on her for slang, speech, etc.

But HLN saying she's a kid at 19 and nervous and saying she is a typical teen, not I don't agree with that. Contrast her testimony to that of Chad, who at 15, was very nervous (continually licked dry lips), but was a PERFECT witness. His demeanor was perfect, he answered only the question that was asked.

I don't criticize anyone who has any kind of learning disability. Her demeanor in talking over the lawyer, outbursts, etc. was disrespectful of the court. I can be sympathetic here, too, if she was never taught how to behave in court.

ALL JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member