1244 users online (210 members and 1034 guests)  



Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    23,799

    Prosecutors seek gag order against eighth-grader arrested over NRA shirt

    The case of the rural West Virginia eighth-grader who was suspended and arrested in late April after he refused to remove a t-shirt supporting the National Rifle Association just keeps getting weirder.

    Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/06/26/po...#ixzz2XR4mbOZb

    He got arrested. He says because he refused to remove the NRA tee shirt. Officer says it was because he wouldn't stop talking. The charge is criminal obstruction.

    First the prosecution asked the court for a gag order. The defense fought that. Now the prosecution is saying he will drop the motion if the defendant's father waivers the son's right to confidentiality........
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

    Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?


    "Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    23,799
    The Logan County School District’s dress code prohibits displays of profanity, violence, discriminatory messages or sexually suggestive phrases. Any items that glorify alcohol, tobacco or drugs are also banned. The school district’s policy doesn’t prohibit shirts promoting Second Amendment rights.

    snip....Many wonder why the school involved police in the first place, what probable cause the arresting officer truly had, and why a teacher felt the need to approach Jared about his t-shirt, which violated no policies? Is free speech only free when authorities approve of your message? If a teacher has a personal problem with your views or expression, should that give grounds to potentially ruin a child’s life?

    Read more: http://communities.washingtontimes.c...#ixzz2XR7HXUk9
    Follow us: @wtcommunities on Twitter
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

    Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?


    "Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    899
    Kids don't get to make the rules at school. He was told to remove the shirt. He should have complied. I'd be a little concerned about a kid who wore an NRA t-shirt so proudly. Sounds like he's probably a discipline case, trying to make an ill-advised stand. There is probably MUCH more to this story. But we'll probably never hear the whole story.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    3,581
    Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew View Post
    The case of the rural West Virginia eighth-grader who was suspended and arrested in late April after he refused to remove a t-shirt supporting the National Rifle Association just keeps getting weirder.

    Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/06/26/po...#ixzz2XR4mbOZb

    He got arrested. He says because he refused to remove the NRA tee shirt. Officer says it was because he wouldn't stop talking. The charge is criminal obstruction.

    First the prosecution asked the court for a gag order. The defense fought that. Now the prosecution is saying he will drop the motion if the defendant's father waivers the son's right to confidentiality........
    OK. I have to lmao about this because if we arrested every eighth-grader who wouldn't stop talking.....

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    12,223
    Quote Originally Posted by animlzrule View Post
    Kids don't get to make the rules at school. He was told to remove the shirt. He should have complied. I'd be a little concerned about a kid who wore an NRA t-shirt so proudly. Sounds like he's probably a discipline case, trying to make an ill-advised stand. There is probably MUCH more to this story. But we'll probably never hear the whole story.
    What rule did he break? specifically? I don't understand your concern over a nra t-shirt. Believe me if it gets that bad, I will look for the guy in the nra t- shirt.

    http://abcnews.go.com/US/west-virgin...6#.UcyEUdjF99Q

    White said that (minor name) had been wearing the shirt without causing any problems from homeroom at the beginning of the school day through fifth period, and was confronted by one of the school's teachers while getting his lunch. When (minor name) refused to remove or reverse the shirt, the teacher began to raise his voice, and it caught the attention of students eating their lunch, White said.

    bbm sounds like the teacher is the one that caused trouble and should have been arrested. jmo


    History of the NRA

    Dismayed by the lack of marksmanship shown by their troops, Union veterans Col. William C. Church and Gen. George Wingate formed the National Rifle Association in 1871. The primary goal of the association would be to "promote and encourage rifle shooting on a scientific basis," according to a magazine editorial written by Church.

    http://www.nrahq.org/history.asp

    As former Clinton spokesman George Stephanopoulos said, "Let me make one small vote for the NRA. They're good citizens. They call their Congressmen. They write. They vote. They contribute. And they get what they want over time."
    Just know one thing, I am the majority.

    Adios amego's

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,242
    Looks like cooler heads, and possibly reason, prevailed:

    http://www.wowktv.com/story/22674521...ed-with-arrest


    Charges dropped.

    (tax $$$$$ wasted!)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    23,799
    And I bet he will wear that same tee-shirt back to school.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

    Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?


    "Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    899
    Quote Originally Posted by Elley Mae View Post
    What rule did he break? specifically? I don't understand your concern over a nra t-shirt. Believe me if it gets that bad, I will look for the guy in the nra t- shirt.

    http://abcnews.go.com/US/west-virgin...6#.UcyEUdjF99Q

    White said that (minor name) had been wearing the shirt without causing any problems from homeroom at the beginning of the school day through fifth period, and was confronted by one of the school's teachers while getting his lunch. When (minor name) refused to remove or reverse the shirt, the teacher began to raise his voice, and it caught the attention of students eating their lunch, White said.

    bbm sounds like the teacher is the one that caused trouble and should have been arrested. jmo


    History of the NRA

    Dismayed by the lack of marksmanship shown by their troops, Union veterans Col. William C. Church and Gen. George Wingate formed the National Rifle Association in 1871. The primary goal of the association would be to "promote and encourage rifle shooting on a scientific basis," according to a magazine editorial written by Church.

    http://www.nrahq.org/history.asp

    As former Clinton spokesman George Stephanopoulos said, "Let me make one small vote for the NRA. They're good citizens. They call their Congressmen. They write. They vote. They contribute. And they get what they want over time."
    My concern about the NRA t-shirt is that it is a political lobbying organization willfully enabling the deaths of thousands of American citizens, many of whom are children, each year. I find it sad and suspicious that an 8th grader self identifies as a supporter of the NRA. He and or his parents had to know that the shirt would be inflammatory and controversial in light of the recent massacres. His teacher told him to remove the shirt. He didn't and it sounds like he argued. He was wrong. Most likely he and or his parents knew darn well that shirt was going to be a problem at school. I suspect this was a stunt and he probably got a little more than he bargained for. I'm glad the charges were dropped, but I would hope that he faces some disciplinary action from the school about his conduct that day. But I doubt it, I'm sure the parents would be happy to try for a payday, and we all know the NRA loves any chance to throw their weight around and bleat about "rights", the best interests of the people be damned.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    73
    How is it a stunt and a payday ploy if it was never against school policy in the first place?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14,187
    My question is why does such a young teen care that much and why did the male teacher object. Why none of the others up until lunch. Also, just what the heck do principals do anymore while at work. Kids ending up arrested with no crime committed has gone on for years, and, imo is more of a violation of rights than mostly unfounded fears that everyone will have all their guns taken away.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    2,626
    Quote Originally Posted by animlzrule View Post
    My concern about the NRA t-shirt is that it is a political lobbying organization willfully enabling the deaths of thousands of American citizens, many of whom are children, each year. I find it sad and suspicious that an 8th grader self identifies as a supporter of the NRA. He and or his parents had to know that the shirt would be inflammatory and controversial in light of the recent massacres. His teacher told him to remove the shirt. He didn't and it sounds like he argued. He was wrong. Most likely he and or his parents knew darn well that shirt was going to be a problem at school. I suspect this was a stunt and he probably got a little more than he bargained for. I'm glad the charges were dropped, but I would hope that he faces some disciplinary action from the school about his conduct that day. But I doubt it, I'm sure the parents would be happy to try for a payday, and we all know the NRA loves any chance to throw their weight around and bleat about "rights", the best interests of the people be damned.
    Would you feel the same way if the individual in question was doing nothing but wearing an "Organizing for Action" or "Obama 2012" shirt?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    8,281
    I'm glad the charges were dropped.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    7,247
    I'm glad the charges were dropped, as I'm tired of cops harassing youth for questionable stuff like "being mouthy", which they will often put down on reports as "resisting arrest" (have seen it many times).

    That said, I have not a lot of sympathy for this kid and his shirt, and agree with animlzrule that he, probably with his parents' backing, wore it to be deliberately inflammatory. I'm with the ACLU, which has always stood for students rights to expression in public schools, so I don't think he should be disciplined for the shirt alone, but he certainly deserves the scorn of all the decent kids and teachers around him. He has a right to his political expression, but everyone around him also has the right to conclude he's an insensitive jerk for wearing a t-shirt with a picture of a weapon on it.
    “Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all." -Abp Oscar Romero

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    7,247
    Quote Originally Posted by m00c0w View Post
    Would you feel the same way if the individual in question was doing nothing but wearing an "Organizing for Action" or "Obama 2012" shirt?
    Not trying to speak for the poster you quoted, but IMO wearing an "Obama 2012" or "Romney 2012" t shirt, or even a "Protect the 2nd Amendment" t shirt is different than one with a picture of a weapon on it. I'm of the opinion he shouldn't be disciplined for wearing the shirt, but I'm also of the opinion that wearing it does make him a jerk.
    “Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all." -Abp Oscar Romero

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    7,230
    This isn't the first time something like this has happened, I've seen cases locally where kids have been sent home (not suspended though) for wearing tshirt that your would otherwise think is innocent (I think the most recent example was someone was wearing a support Romney shirt). I've got no problem with the school asking the kid to remove the shirt if the shirt violates a dress code and it is the schools discrection if they consider the shirt to be inflammatory.

    This is a new development because when I went to school (80's) kids wore all sorts of shirts, some pretty vulgar and I don't remember anybody being sent home for it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-29-2012, 01:54 PM
  2. Prosecutors won't seek death penalty UPDATE Or will they?#2
    By JBean in forum Caylee Anthony 2 years old
    Replies: 92
    Last Post: 03-04-2009, 05:58 PM
  3. Prosecutors won't seek death penalty UPDATE Or will they?
    By EricaG in forum Caylee Anthony 2 years old
    Replies: 543
    Last Post: 02-16-2009, 11:03 PM
  4. 3rd Grader Suspended for Sniffing Shirt
    By MsRusty in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 04-07-2008, 10:34 AM