1205 users online (218 members and 987 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

CO - Christo's controversial silvery fabric Over the River project gets first okay

Appeals board upholds permit for Christo project. (AP)
    An appeals board is upholding the Bureau of Land Management's decision to grant the artist Christo a permit for his Over the River project, which involves temporarily suspending 5.9 miles worth of silvery fabric panels in sections over 42 miles of the Arkansas River.
    ---
    Meanwhile, two lawsuits challenging Over the River in state and federal courts are still pending.
    ---
    Even if Christo wins in the lawsuits, it would be at least 2016 before the project would be ready for public display.
    ---
    The project would be displayed for two weeks in the month of August, when the river would be calm enough for rafters to peer up at the fabric as they float underneath and when drivers on U.S. 50 along the river could look down.
    ---
    Opponents contend the project threatens bighorn sheep, public safety, traffic on U.S. 50, and businesses that depend on the scenic river to draw anglers, rafters and tourists.

Christo's team has said it plans dozens of measures to mitigate impacts.

I am very confused. What is the point of fabric over the river and why in the world was it granted to begin with?
    Just my opinion

Christo's (and his late partner Jeanne-Claude's) works are (according to Wiki) "visually impressive and often controversial as a result of [their] scale; the artists have repeatedly denied that their projects contain any deeper meaning than their immediate aesthetic impact. The purpose of their art, they contend, is simply to create works of art or joy and beauty and to create new ways of seeing familiar landscapes."

Those works have included Wrapped Coast; Valley Curtain; The Umbrellas, Japan–USA, 1984–91; Pont Neuf; and Wrapped Reichstag.

One of Christo's and Jeanne-Claude's most famous and in my opinion most beautiful pieces was Running Fence.

This portion of their personal website documents the Running Fence project.

http://www.christojeanneclaude.net/p...e#.Uc9N68u9KSM

See especially the photos of the finished piece at the bottom of the page.

I saw one of their smaller projects, Wrapped Walk Ways, in Kansas City in 1977, I think it was.

I looked at
    Running Fence from the above link.

I guess this just isn't my kind of thing.

Though it probably looked pretty spectacular from say a plane. Or maybe a satellite
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Quote Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
    I am very confused. What is the point of fabric over the river and why in the world was it granted to begin with?
    I don't understand how covering stuff with fabric is art. Not everyone with a paint brush can create art, but anyone with enough fabric can do what Cristo doe's. I don't get it.

I admit that I wasn't that into Christo even after seeing the KC project; it didn't move me. Then came "Umbrellas" - "one of the umbrellas in California was toppled by high winds, killing one woman and injuring several others" - and I was even less convinced, BUT then came "Wrapped Reichstag," a brilliant work, and I was forced to re-evaluate. I'd been wrong.

Better than I'd thought....

Still don't get it.

I guess I am more into things like this
    http://www.ted.com/talks/theo_jansen...creatures.html
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Nature is art. Besides, wouldn't suspending these panels above the water for two weeks cause the sunlight to be blocked to the water causing not only a shift in photosynthesis but also confusion to the wildlife. I don't see this as anything more than just more pollution that's harming our environment. Sorry
    "Life is life's greatest gift. Guard the life of another creature as you would your own because it is your own. On life's scale of values, the smallest is no less precious to the creature who owns it than the largest..." Lloyd Biggle, Jr.

Let's bring Michelle Parker home: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ichelle+parker

All statements made by me are based on my opinion.

Wrapped Reichstag, Berlin, 1971-95

http://www.christojeanneclaude.net/p...pped-reichstag

Personally, I really liked the Umbrellas project/s and the one they did in Central Park, "The Gates". Point being, I don't like all their work but I do really like some select pieces.

I hope he will be able to realize their "Over the River Project". It was first conceived of in 1992., a work in progress.

Here is the website: http://www.overtheriverinfo.com/

Art, as Shakespeare opined in 'Hamlet,' "holds the mirror up to natue." Christo's mirror is simply closer than most.

meh - doesn't impress me

art, like beauty, really is in the eye of the beholder

I saw the Umbrellas and it was neat- but not worth the cost. Not only was someone killed- IIRC there were complaints that even after the umbrellas were removed and the art was done that they had left materials (trash, concrete pieces, etc) up in that area.

Sometimes I think his stuff isn't so much about the fabric across the river, the umbrellas on the hills, etc.- but the controversy and fighting it takes to put everything up.

Pretty stupid. The money this costs could have a better use. What a waste.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast