CANADA Canada - Jane, 36, & Cathryn Johnson, 8, Turner Valley, AB, 3 Sept 1996

otto

Verified Expert
Reaction score
Cold Case FilesJane and Cathryn JOHNSON

Jane Johnson
Cathryn Johnson

Year: 1996

Details : Jane JOHNSON and her daughter Cathryn were murdered in their home on the evening of September 3rd, 1996. The culprit(s) set fire to the residence in an effort to conceal the crime.

It is believed that this was not a chance or random act perpetrated by someone committing a break-in or an assault as evidence gathered does not support this. Further, it is believed the killer(s) knew the victims and were aware of their day-to-day patterns.

Jane and her daughter infrequently stayed at the house as Jane was involved in a relationship and both mother and daughter spent a good deal of time with this person at his residence.

On the night of the murder it is alleged Jane and her daughter returned to the residence so Cathryn could start school the next day from her own home.

Sometime during the night or early morning, the suspect(s) entered the residence, committed the murders and set fire to the house. The fire smouldered for some time before its discovery by neighbours.

Several suspects were identified but there is insufficient evidence to conclusively implicate or eliminate them from suspicion.

A reward of $50,000.00 is being offered for information leading to the arrest of person(s) responsible.

Contact: If you have any information about this case, please contact "K" (AB) Division Major Crimes Calgary at 403-699-2650 or Crime Stoppers 1-800-222-8477.

"Cold Case Information"; http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cc-afn/johnson-jane-cathryn-eng.htm

What isn't mentioned in this description is that she was an heiress to a ranching empire and she was pregnant.

From reading the article, I get the impression that the boyfriend and father of the unborn child may be responsible.

MSM from 2011:

http://www.westernwheel.com/article/20110831/WHE0801/308319999

Jane’s ex-husband said he is certain there are people who can give police the break they need to make an arrest in the case. “I do feel there are people out there that could come forward and say what happened,” said Sam Johnson.

Soon after the murders, he volunteered to take a polygraph test to eliminate himself as a suspect. “I demanded one, they didn’t even ask me,” said Johnson. “I demanded to take it because I wanted to make sure they didn’t waste one minute of their valuable time at the start of the case on me.”

Five years ago, the Western Wheel interviewed an ex-boyfriend regarding the case, Henry Reichert, who denied any involvement in the murder. Until that time, Reichert had not taken a polygraph test as part of the investigation. He told the Western Wheel five years ago he declined to take the test on the advice of his lawyer.

From 2006:

http://www.canada.com/story.html?id=94d3bcef-d456-43da-9c51-6d4b232c0846#__federated=1

Ten years have passed since the double murder of a pregnant Turner Valley woman and her eight-year-old daughter, but Butch Dupont remembers the night with haunting clarity. Sept. 3, 1996, was the Mountie's first overnight shift with the Turner Valley RCMP detachment, just two weeks into the job...

Ten years later, some continue casting suspicious eyes on Henry Reichert, even though there wasn't enough evidence to lay charges against him... "I fit the profile, the way the murder happened, they said," Reichert recalls. "That's a pretty vague piece of evidence to pin on somebody in a small community."

On his lawyer's advice, Reichert refused to take a lie-detector test, but co-operated by submitting DNA samples. He says his emotions could have skewed the results.

What isn't mentioned in this description is that she was an heiress to a ranching empire and she was pregnant.

From reading the article, I get the impression that the boyfriend and father of the unborn child may be responsible.

Hi Otto, I agree with your comments.. I’m surprised you know she was apart of a wealthy ranching family.
None of which I’ve seen in any news clippings online even mention that about her. I was curious if maybe you knew her and her daughter personally or you’re from the T.V, B.D area?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back