Cowtown Rodeo Horse Dies During Live Show

Hopeful One

Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
The video is incredibly disturbing. I knew I shouldn't have watched. :( Consider that your warning.

Tragedy struck at the famous Cowtown Rodeo in New Jersey this weekend when one of the horses died during a live performance ... and animal rights activists say there's evidence the horse was electrocuted.

http://www.tmz.com/2013/07/01/cowtown-rodeo-horse-dies-duke-grant-harris/

The video is incredibly disturbing. I knew I shouldn't have watched. :( Consider that your warning.

Tragedy struck at the famous Cowtown Rodeo in New Jersey this weekend when one of the horses died during a live performance ... and animal rights activists say there's evidence the horse was electrocuted.

http://www.tmz.com/2013/07/01/cowtown-rodeo-horse-dies-duke-grant-harris/

I just saw this on my FB. This is so very sad. I don't believe it was anything that the rodeo performers or event workers did though. It just fell down. Almost looked like a seizure, I really don't know. I have many people in my family that participate in rodeos and have many horses and cattle and there isn't many more things that they love more then their horses and all other horses so I know this was disturbing for them there.

The horse had a heart attack, it happens. Rodeo horses have THE LIFE! They are not mistreated. They work mere minutes every week and that's to toss men off of them. The rest of the week they're grazing and being pampered.

The horse had a heart attack, it happens. Rodeo horses have THE LIFE! They are not mistreated. They work mere minutes every week and that's to toss men off of them. The rest of the week they're grazing and being pampered.

Thanks for updating us! I'm sure horses have conditions like hypertrophic cardiomyopathy were they can die instantly like humans have. And you are right about the horses and being pampered!! You could see in the video the rodeo workers trying to comfort the horse. That's one thing that brought tears to my years to see the man at the horses' heads reaction when he realized something bad was going on. And they always, always have a vet at rodeos. I've went to many and they always announce who they are and they always pray for the animals participating in the events before it starts and again at the end.

Has NJ SPCA checked in with an opinion?

Here's Daily Mail's story. The "vet's opinion" part is waaay down the page.

The moment horse collapses and dies seconds after bolting as rodeo is accused of using 'cruel' cattle prod to buck more wildly

Wow that doesn't look anything like a cattle prod to me in the photo. It's not even close to the horse. Cattle prods are used when cattle will not move to get out of a trailer etc. We had them when I was younger as I lived on a cattle farm and we raised and sold beef cows. Most cows could care less if you used a cattle prod on them, it gives you a better chance to make them move but many seriously don't even bat an ear at it. My male cousins that were crazy back then would run around and shock us with cattle prods. We didn't like it but it wasn't painful or life threatening. And we were less than 100 lbs then! Not a 2000lb horse. Getting shocked by an electric fence is worse than a prod but they don't argue thats inhumane. A cattle prod wouldn't kill a horse. It definitely would not cause a rupture in the aorta which just happens. I have never seen a cattle prod used on a horse ever. Usually horses fly around, you don't have a problem with getting them to move. When you do you would never use a prod because they can become frightened of a trailer if you use it there. Also they could become frightened of you and not trust you, which you don't want with a horse. You can't really bully a horse into anything. With that said I think it would be horrible to use a prod on a horse just to make it buck more. But it wouldn't work that way anyway. If they prodded a horse before it left the gate it wouldn't buck anymore than it is already going to. If a horse is scared like it would be with a prob, it wouldn't buck it would run and flee which defeats the entire purpose of a bucking bronco contest. The flank strap around the very back of its stomach is what makes it buck. This strap is loose and often has soft wool on it, nothing sharp or painful (otherwise it would run in fear as described above). It's just a tickle spot that they aren't use to having touched that makes them buck. Cowboys have to take it off immediately because they'll get used to it and no longer care thats its there and no longer buck when one is put on. Also why in the world would they prod a horse when the gait is open and the crowd can see. You can bet your butt people would be pissed, as would he cowboys. This article is ridiculous and obviously written by people that have no idea about animals or rodeo practices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I loved rodeos when I was a kid but now I believe that some things in the rodeo are rather cruel to the animals. Like in calf roping when they THROW the calf down on its side and tie up its feet. Maybe the calf isn't permanently harmed but I don't believe it is enjoying the calf roping. I have to wonder why they had the electric device in the horse stall if they weren't using it on horses. But I don't believe they killed the horse by electrocution. An aneurism that bursts is usually quickly fatal in either people or animals. I believe that's what killed the horse. Did the exertion of bucking cause it to burst sooner than it would otherwise? I don't know. But the horse was a ticking time bomb. I feel very sad for the horse and the suffering it went through. It just wasn't meant to have a long life, unfortunately. I don't believe the horses enjoy the bucking people off in the rodeo though. I'd rather watch things like barrel racing where the horse doesn't have to do anything unnatural and might even enjoy the competition.

I loved rodeos when I was a kid but now I believe that some things in the rodeo are rather cruel to the animals. Like in calf roping when they THROW the calf down on its side and tie up its feet. Maybe the calf isn't permanently harmed but I don't believe it is enjoying the calf roping. I have to wonder why they had the electric device in the horse stall if they weren't using it on horses. But I don't believe they killed the horse by electrocution. An aneurism that bursts is usually quickly fatal in either people or animals. I believe that's what killed the horse. Did the exertion of bucking cause it to burst sooner than it would otherwise? I don't know. But the horse was a ticking time bomb. I feel very sad for the horse and the suffering it went through. It just wasn't meant to have a long life, unfortunately. I don't believe the horses enjoy the bucking people off in the rodeo though. I'd rather watch things like barrel racing where the horse doesn't have to do anything unnatural and might even enjoy the competition.

Bucking is quite natural for a horse. Actually, I can't think of a more natural activity for a horse.

If I were to be reincarnated as a horse, I would wish to be a rodeo bucking horse easiest job ever!

I just noticed that the headlines said the horse died in seconds. From the video it showed the horse suffering for around 5 minutes before dying. I am glad that the people there at least comforted the horse. That's about all someone could do. The horse received love and comfort in its last moments and didn't die alone. That's more than I can say for horses auctioned off and sent to slaughter houses. Luckily, the horse didn't know what was coming.

Daily Mail can't be acclaimed the most accurate news source, it's true.

They seem to have assembled the story from articles at nj.com, philly.com, and TMZ.

Nevertheless, with its quote from the Cowtown Rodeo owner, the article does suggest that the electrical prod might be used at other, lesser, non-sanctioned (etc.) rodeos.
Indeed, Harris said that as his is a professional rodeo, sanctioned by the Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association, the use of any electrical prods on animals is prohibited before they leave the gate.

Harris said that he enforces this: 'I will not tolerate it,' said the owner.

They seem to have assembled the story from articles at nj.com, philly.com, and TMZ.

Nevertheless, with its quote from the Cowtown Rodeo owner, the article does suggest that the electrical prod might be used at other, lesser, non-sanctioned (etc.) rodeos.

I read it as he is just speaking of his rodeos. I doubt that he knows what other lesser rodeos have or at least that there aren't as many strict rules for lesser level rodeos. My neighbors just held a rodeo last week. I have never see a cattle prod used. Especially on horses. It's why it's called a cattle prod. Southerns love their animals, their would be an uproar if that was happening in the gates.

I read it as he is just speaking of his rodeos. I doubt that he knows what other lesser rodeos have or at least that there aren't as many strict rules for lesser level rodeos. My neighbors just held a rodeo last week. I have never see a cattle prod used. Especially on horses. It's why it's called a cattle prod. Southerns love their animals, their would be an uproar if that was happening in the gates.

Good points. I admit my own rodeo experience is limited to the town rodeos I saw as a kid long ago, and in watching later some of my college students who rodeo'd at the county fair. Still, I think that Mr. Harris is implying that the devices are used - not at his show, but I don't think he would have been quite as adamant about it all, if there were not lesser shows at which the technique has been used. (I just re-read that sentence and it contains a rare triple negative! This indicates confusion on my part in trying to get to grips with this tragic story.)

Harris said that a post-mortem showed that Duke suffered an aneurysm of the aorta and that the horse had never suffered any medical problems in the past.

the veterinarian, Stevens, was quite clear. 'An electric shock would not cause an aneurysm like that,' said Stevens.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ge-cattle-prod-stun-animal.html#ixzz2XzRgkaOj
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Harris said that a post-mortem showed that Duke suffered an aneurysm of the aorta and that the horse had never suffered any medical problems in the past.

the veterinarian, Stevens, was quite clear. 'An electric shock would not cause an aneurysm like that,' said Stevens.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ge-cattle-prod-stun-animal.html#ixzz2XzRgkaOj
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
True - though, to be fair, it should be noted that Stevens is the vet for the rodeo and perhaps his decision should be taken into account with that fact in mind. He's not exactly a neutral third party. But I do tend to believe him.

However, no electric shock coming from a cattle prod could ever kill a horse even if it was not from a aortic aneurysm, even if a cattle prob was used which I do not believe it was. It can't cause any life threatening effect to a 2000 lb horse.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back