CA CA - Los Angeles, HispMale UP3658, 35-45, hit by car, in coma 5 yrs, Nov'94

Babyslims

Reaction score
Okay the height is off ALOT but they look kinda alike... so I put this here *just in case* john doe says 64... which some sites that could mean 64 inches (thats what I first though) but then thought just incase they meant 6'4 i'd post it here.. if anything..I didnt see this guy listed on the doenetwork (but he could be, might of overlooked it)

Decedent was struck by a vehcile on 11/14/1994 at 2031 hours at 1406 W. Olympic Blvd. in L.A. Transported to LA county USC med center, where he was treated and transferred to a Convalescent home in El Monte, CA. Remained in a coma until his death on 8/16/1999.
*morgue photo* at link

http://coroner.co.la.ca.us/htm/uipdetail.cfm?proc_flg=S&unid_case_num=1999-05837

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/l/layja_rene.html

http://www.theyaremissed.org/ncma/gallery/ncmaprofile_all.php?A200300886W
Missing Since: April 22, 1994 from Mesa, Arizona
Classification: Endangered Missing
Date Of Birth: March 9, 1961
Height and Weight: 6'3, 240 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Hispanic male. Black hair, brown eyes. Layja has a gap between his upper front teeth.
Clothing/Jewelry Description: A blue t-shirt, gray pants and black shoes.
Medical Conditions: Layja is mentally challenged.
bar.jpg

Details of Disappearance
Layja arrived in Mesa, Arizona to visit his mother's home on April 21, 1994. He told his mother he was going to take a walk during the following day, April 22. Layja was not familiar with Mesa at the time he departed from the house. He was treated for unspecified reasons and released from Maricopa County Hospital on April 23. Layja was given a bus ticket to Nogalas, Arizona before leaving the facility. It is unclear if he used his pass or arrived at his destination. Layja has never been heard from again. His case remains unsolved.

That really looks like him. It shouldn't take much to match it, because Layja has a huge gap btwn his two front teeth. That nose really matches

They do look an awful lot alike but there is a 90 pound difference. Could still be

I'll be shocked if the ISN'T a match!!! Great find and hopefully some closure for the family. Great job sleuther! :clap:

Very, very good match! Submit it and let us know how it turns out.

WOW.... there is NO way in heck that this could NOT be a match. Not only does he look exactly the same.. hairline and everything.. but that very unusual shaped nose--- it is exactly the same nose.
I'm surprised this wasn't found earlier by someone investigating the case. But then again in the early 90's this was before the internet was mainstream and before there was so much missing persons info up on the web.
Great job KBS!!!

Well printed those pages out so I'll make some calls tomorrow and hopefully get some more information! Thanks so much for your responses, I'll definately let ya know if I get anywhere with it.

WOW! That's amazing. I feel so sorry for his mom, but if this is him at least she will have some answers.

Well I called. Didnt get to talk to anyone. Had to leave a messages.... but I'm in florida so they might not be up yet, but i'll wait a little bit and try again to see if someone will answer...

Well I called. Didnt get to talk to anyone. Had to leave a messages.... but I'm in florida so they might not be up yet, but i'll wait a little bit and try again to see if someone will answer...

It would probably be best to call around 12/1:00p.m. EST.

I agree about it being a match and weight difference is probably due to him being in a coma and receiving liquid nutrients through a tube as opposed to eating fatty solid foods. (And also muscle atrophy) =)

Also note the 6+ month time lapse between disappearance and the accident. If he was living on the street, he would most likely have lost weight. So I would consider that to also be OK given the gap in time.

Not really any new information... But I did talk to someone at the LA california coronor's office ... I sent him links.. He hasnt responded back via telephone or email. Hopefully he got it, and will at least look!

Then a little bit ago a very nice lady called me back from Mesa for the missing man. Someone might call me back tomorrow.. Its weird she said something like he wasnt showing up as missing or something but she did find him by the file # but I guess not by entering his name..I dont know.. but she had something she had to look into... But thats all for now! if I hear anything else I'll let you know!

They must have some better pictures of him! He was alive for 5 years, albeit in a coma, but can't we have some better pictures than the morgue photo??

Has anyone heard anything about this possible match? I agree about the pictures. Surely somebody took photos of this guy during his last five years.

I havent heard anything. I did request to be called one way or another so that we would know...... Not sure how long your supposed to wait? I dont wanna be too annoying or anything lol! I'm not sure what the standard procedure is on this type of thing.

Although I have this bad feeling they're going to come back and say that this Unidentified guy was only 64 inches :rolleyes:

wrote them and this was the reply

"Was not him, not even a close match..thanks"

I'm sorry that you were treated so rudely. And as for the "not even close" smug remark, I sincerely beg to differ.

Well, we won't let one @@@@@@@ slow us down to bring these families together. The fact that he looked into the request sounds like it was one he hadn't looked into before. I'm just hoping that this one person didn't just look at the weight or the height and blow off the possible match.

Keep on keepin' on kaylen!

awww thanks for the encouragement!!!!

Well that reply was from Mesa Arizona lady working on the case. Didnt go into details of why or how they dont think its him.. I mean the only thing I was worried about was the height, I was hoping the Unidentified mans height was recorded wrong or someone left out a " or something. Hmmm wonder if there's a way to find old articles from the time the accident happened to see what they said his height/weight was when he was first found, just in case there was a typing error :innocent:

WHAT!!. What a jerk. How can anyone say that that is not a close match. She either doesn't care (which is most likely) or is blind. This is one of the closest matches I've seen while on this forum.. I think your right, I think she just glanced at the height and weight and blew it off. If she gave the slightest bit crap, she would look into it just in case. The least she could of said was "we looked into it and its not a match". The fact that she said it wasn't even a close match showed how little respect that she had about the situation. Is there anyone else that can be contacted? Man, this ticked me off.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sugarheart27
Back