AK - Man catches record 200-year-old fish off the coast of Sitka

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Okay, okay - call me a bleeding heart, but I actually feel sorry for Old Mr. Shortraker Rockfish. True, he's a rough looking old customer, and true, if he's that age he had his season in the sun in the murky depths, and, true, he finally met his match fair and square, I'm guessing. But....GOD this fish is ugly - be forewarned, it's both nightmarish and comical at the same time. Two good pictures at link.

Man catches 200-year-old fish in Alaska. (USA Today Sports)
Troy Tidingco, Sitka area manager for the state Department of Fish and Game, said the fish is still being analyzed but he believes it is at least 200 years old. Tidingco said that would beat the current record of 175 years. Researchers are able to determine the age of a shortraker by the number of growth rings along its ear bone.
and....
∙ James Madison was president of the United States (which consisted of 18 total states)
∙ Antarctica had not yet been discovered (1820)
∙ The fish was already 48 years old when the Civil War began (1861)
∙ The fish was 66 years old when the lightbulb was invented (1879)
more at the link

Between that fish and the funeral home thing I watched this morning, I won't be sleeping for another week!

Dang, that fish is fugly! He looks like he fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down...LOL

Between that fish and the funeral home thing I watched this morning, I won't be sleeping for another week!

Dang, that fish is fugly! He looks like he fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down...LOL
Now - there was a time, possibly in the late 1840s, let's say, when some lady Shortraker Rockfish might have thought he was a dream boat.

I don't think the fish is ugly. Wonder if this could be a record for a vertebrate - some tortoises get past 200. I know there is some sort of clam that lives to be 500 years old or there abouts.

*hrmph*
Let's see how you folks look like when you are 200 years old
*hrmph*

Franz Kafka's 130th birthday today; he could have designed this fish as there's something particularly Kafka-esqe about it.

Sitka made me think of the movie, The Proposal.

It's all about liberal use of sunscreen and exfoliation.

Yeah well let's see how good you look when you are 200 years old.
I think it looks pretty good..... for it's age.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cariboucampfire73
Back