1204 users online (265 members and 939 guests)  

Websleuths News

MA - Man allegedly attempts scam of Marathon fund, invents "double amputee aunt"

Mass. man accused of filing fake marathon claim. (Portland [ME] Press Herald)
    BOSTON — A Boston man allegedly made a false claim seeking nearly $2.2 million from the main compensation fund for Boston Marathon bombing victims, Massachusetts Attorney General Martha Coakley said Tuesday.

Branden Mattier, 22, allegedly claimed to The One Fund that his long-dead aunt had both legs amputated as a result of the April 15 attacks that killed three people and injured more than 260, Coakley said. She said Mattier's aunt died more than 10 years ago.

Mattier was arrested Tuesday when he accepted a fake check for $2.195 million from an undercover state trooper, Coakley said. He was charged with attempted larceny and identity theft and is expected to be arraigned in Boston Municipal Court on Wednesday.
    ---
    more at the link

That is just disgusting.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Find Brian Shaffer!!
    www.findbrianshaffer.com

Janet Christiansen, Kaiden, and Family, justice WILL prevail!

JUSTICE FOR AMBER!

~*Cancel my subscription, I'm THROUGH with your issues*~

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ching-him.html

"Accused Boston Marathon bombing scammer sues police for catching him"

"The South End lyricist is representing himself and seeking $100,000 in damages in the civil suit filed December 23, the Boston Herald reported."

"The suit comes after both Mr Mattier and brother Domunique Grice, 28, were accused by the MSP of trying to con almost $2.2million from the fund after filing a claim using the name of a dead aunt under the guise of her losing her legs in the attack."

"The duo even attended a dinner for victims and their families, the Herald noted."

"In a scene straight of a movie, police teamed up with FedEx to snag the brothers by having an undercover trooper dress as a FedEx employee July 2 to hand deliver the fake check."

"FedEx is also named as a defendant in the misconduct suit."