Thread: MI - Janette Roberson Murdered in Reed City January 19, 1983

MI - Janette Roberson Murdered in Reed City January 19, 1983

On January 19, 1983, Janette Roberson was murdered in the small town of Reed City, Michigan. The case is still considered open with the Michigan State Police because homicide has no statute of limitations. This also means that there is very limited information that the police can provide to the family and the general public.

Janette was married and the mother of two young children at the time of her murder. She worked in the basement of the Gambles Hardware Store which had been turned into a pet store. The pet store sold fish and some other small animals. The murder occurred between 1pm and 4pm on January 19, 1983.

By posting here, I hope that someone remembers something. Janette was a daughter, mother, sister, aunt, animal lover and friend to many people. Just because the case is older doesn't mean that she should be forgotten. Her family has not forgotten her over the 30 years that this has not been solved.

Detective Sgt. Lator of the Mount Pleasant Post (Michigan State Police) is assigned to Janette's case. Detective Sgt. Lator's contact information is: Mount Pleasant #63 3580 S. Isabella Rd. Mount Pleasant, Michigan 48858 Phone: (989) 773-5951 (information#) Fax: (989) 772-2854

Thank you for reading this post. I hope that someday the police are able to solve her case. All it takes is just one person to call them and tell them what they know, heard, etc.
    Last edited by angelj; 07-05-2013 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Added she was also a sister.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to angelj For This Useful Post:

I've found one article on this case so far. It's from 2010.

At the time of the incident, few details were released. The murder happened in the basement of the Gambles store, now Reed City Hardware. It happened between 1 and 4 p.m. below the front door of the store. Although there were customers and other employees in the shop at the time, nobody heard anything. It was reported as a brutal slaying and possibly a sexual assault. Janette’s partially-clad body was found about 4 p.m. by another employee.
    Phil Rathbun was the Reed City police chief at the time.
    "There was some kind of hostility, in my opinion," Rathbun said. "It was not just passion. Someone was mad at her.
    http://www.cadillacnews.com/news_sto...issue=20100119

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bessie For This Useful Post:

That's awful. Was this an incident where the police had a main suspect but not enough evidence or they had no leads? Or do have they even released those details?

Quote Originally Posted by jafsell View Post
    That's awful. Was this an incident where the police had a main suspect but not enough evidence or they had no leads? Or do have they even released those details?
    From what I've read, there were no strong suspects. LE questioned one or two men, but nothing panned out.

I was glad to see that Janette's sister has not given up. On Jan 19, a remembrance walk was held in Reed City. There is also a Facebook page, and some recent press.

http://www.upnorthlive.com/news/stor...7#.UuxhWbQQNvk

In the photo albums are images of a two page article published earlier this month with sketches of the suspect. If you scroll to the bottom and select "Open Photo Viewer", you can view the pages in full screen or use the magnifier to read them.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater