1344 users online (315 members and 1029 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Canada ∙ Quebec town of Lac-Megantic evacuated as train carrying crude oil explodes

Breaking news: Canadian town 'wiped out' as freight train carrying hundreds of tons of crude oil derails and explodes. (Daily Mail)
    The center of a Quebec town has been wiped out, according to the mayor, after a freight train carrying crude oil derailed and exploded in a fireball at 1am on Saturday.

Parts of the town were evacuated as fireballs shot several metres in the air, flames spread to nearby homes and thick acrid smoke filled the air.

Emergency workers helped about 1,000 residents escape Lac-Megantic, which is close to the Maine border and about 250km from Montreal.

It is not yet known if anyone was killed or injured in the blast, according to the Hamilton Spectator.

About 30 buildings in the town center were destroyed by the fire.

'When you see the center of your town almost destroyed, you'll understand that we're asking ourselves how we are going to get through this event,' the town's mayor, Colette Roy-Laroche, said.
    ---
    more, with pictures, at the link

Explosions rock Quebec town of Lac-Megantic after train derailment. (Hamilton Spectator)

Good grief, I can't even imagine the noise that made!
    "If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you!"

The above post is my opinion and my opinion only. Please do not copy and past to other forums.

From DM link above:
    Witnesses said the blast flattened an apartment building and part of a pub, which had a terrace packed with people at the time of the fire.

LadyL is offline Sleuthing for Lonzie Barton & All Victims.
    I would think many people are dead if businesses and houses are completely gone as is stated.

This is horrifying.

LadyL is offline Sleuthing for Lonzie Barton & All Victims.
    this video really shows how nobody in the immediate vicinity could've survived that (and this town has only about 6,000 people):

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...ail&FORM=VIRE1

One person confirmed dead so far; dozens still listed as missing.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...ment-fire.html

This is absolutely horrifying. Those poor people!
    Opinions expressed are strictly my own (who else would they belong to???)

Police say at least one person has died after a driverless train carrying light crude oil exploded in the Canadian town of Lac-Megantic.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-23212541

Description of the accident and aerial pic of the town. Appears to be multiple fires.

They also have an environmental disaster because some of the oil spilled into the river and is now headed downstream.

Some of the cars exploded, some didn't. So they also have fears of the intact containers exploding.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/07..._hp_ref=canada

horrific if only one life is lost it will be a miracle
    Justice for Jennifer

Rest in peace Danielle and Tammy

Joseph R. McGonigle confirmed to The Gazette early Saturday afternoon that shortly before midnight, the train's conductor stopped in nearby Nantes, locked the brakes and checked to ensure that the rail cars carrying thousands of litres of crude oil were all securely attached.

He then checked into a nearby Lac Mégantic hotel for the night. Another conductor was reportedly expected to take over driving the train within a few hours.

"Sometime after (the first conductor left), the train got loose," said McGonigle, who is vice president of marketing for The Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway. "It travelled under its own inertia to the centre of the town."
    http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Tr...250/story.html

I lived in a railroad town with many trains a day passing through. One never imagines it will happen.

Here's a photo of the train when it was parked several miles away from the town.

A passerby noticed the train was on fire, but before any help could arrive, somehow the brakes were released (possibly the brake hoses burned through) and the train started rolling (the engines were running). And once it was rolling there was no way to stop it.

http://i.imgur.com/yd3RFz5.jpg

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast