1239 users online (207 members and 1032 guests)  



Websleuths News


Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Anaheim, CA
    Posts
    11,821

    Mother and Child Trapped by Brazilian Government in International Custody Case

    Shauna Hadden and her daughter Ava are stuck in Brazil after the passports were confiscated by the Brazilian government. She has sole custody of her daughter in a U.S. court order that the father agreed to. He was deported from Brazil because he was in the U.S. illegally.

    After several years, the mom agreed to bring Ava down to Brazil to get to know her father, her family and her Brazilian heritaqe. But then things went wrong. She claimed that once there, a friend warned her that the father was going to try to take custody and so she refused to go to the father's home and visited friends in another city. It was then that the father went to the Brazilian courts and tried to get custody and had their passports seized. They have been trapped there for some time:
    According to Hadden, Shauna and Donizete Machado have been divorced since 2009. "She has full custody of Ava. He lives in Brazil. Shauna planned a trip on May 21 where she would take Ava to visit her father and extended family in Brazil. We thought it was a great opportunity for Ava to learn about her heritage."
    But when they got to Brazil, "Shauna got a call from a man who lived in Machado's town telling her not to come," Hadden said. "Her ex-husband was planning to take Ava from her."
    So instead of traveling to see Machado, Shauna Hadden chose to go north and stay with friends.
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/mass-mother...1#.Udhzhm124f4

    What do you all think? My thoughts will be in another post below, but I want to hear what everyone else has to say.
    For Travis Alexander, a human being.


    *Gitana (means "Gypsy girl"). Pronounced "hee tah nah."

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    7,247
    Hard to make a judgement on this, only hearing one side of the story - and then, not even one full side, since this is coming through the Grandma.
    “Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all." -Abp Oscar Romero

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,024
    Could she get assistance from our embassy there to get new passports?

    http://brazil.usembassy.gov/passports.html


    "The further we (as the human race) grow away from the natural world, the quieter the natural world becomes and the more pathological we become as a culture."........Bernie Krause

    The citizens of the United States of America have a right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy—a policy worthy of imitation......which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance.......George Washington

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Anaheim, CA
    Posts
    11,821
    Quote Originally Posted by Reader View Post
    Could she get assistance from our embassy there to get new passports?

    http://brazil.usembassy.gov/passports.html
    I'm sure she could but she is on a no fly list now out of Brazil.
    For Travis Alexander, a human being.


    *Gitana (means "Gypsy girl"). Pronounced "hee tah nah."

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    24,429
    Mom might have gone to Brazil to meet an on-line boyfriend.

    "Hadden's family called that claim ridiculous, but in an exchange of Facebook messages from April 16 — five weeks before her trip — Hadden voices an intention to visit the man named in the passport seizure request, a resident of the town where she's now staying."

    http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2...custody-battle
    Just my opinion

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    7,247
    Had a feeling there was more to it.

    Btw some of the comments under that nbcnews article are infuriating.
    “Peace is not the product of terror or fear. Peace is not the silence of cemeteries. Peace is not the silent result of violent repression. Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all." -Abp Oscar Romero

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Anaheim, CA
    Posts
    11,821
    Quote Originally Posted by jjenny View Post
    Mom might have gone to Brazil to meet an on-line boyfriend.

    "Hadden's family called that claim ridiculous, but in an exchange of Facebook messages from April 16 — five weeks before her trip — Hadden voices an intention to visit the man named in the passport seizure request, a resident of the town where she's now staying."

    http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2...custody-battle
    I checked out her facebook page. I do think this lady took the opportunity of free tickets to Brazil to visit another man for at least part of the trip. This enraged the father who began making threats. According to her initial accounts on facebook, no "friend" first warned her that the dad was trying to take custody. Instead, she claims she began to feel odd as she was traveling to Brazil, because the dad expressed a sense of urgency about her getting there on time so he could see Ava, so she suddenly decided to go first to visit a "friend" in another city, who was "concerned",( read boyfriend).

    The dad became very upset over the next few days, after having paid for the trip and not being able to see his daughter, so, according to her, he began threatening her that he would try to take custody and he went to court and got the passports taken. I think he was horrified, thinking he had been scammed. I don't blame him.

    What Brazil has done in confiscating the passports of the mother and child and involving the family courts there, when there is already a valid family court order out of the U.S, is wrong, IMO. However, I would see nothing wrong with confiscating the mother's passport until she reimbursed the father for the trip.
    Last edited by gitana1; 07-07-2013 at 03:47 PM.
    For Travis Alexander, a human being.


    *Gitana (means "Gypsy girl"). Pronounced "hee tah nah."

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    8,522
    This is really ashame. Adults behaving badly with their children caught in the middle. I watched the story about the dad who tried for 5 years to get his son back awhile ago. That case was heart wrenching. I hope this case does not come to that. JMV

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    8,522
    Quote Originally Posted by gitana1 View Post
    I checked out her facebook page. I do think this lady took the opportunity of free tickets to Brazil to visit another man for at least part of the trip. This enraged the father who began making threats. According to her initial accounts on facebook, no "friend" first warned her that the dad was trying to take custody. Instead, she claims she began to feel odd as she was traveling to Brazil, because the dad expressed a sense of urgency about her getting there on time so he could see Ava, so she suddenly decided to go first to visit a "friend" in another city, who was "concerned",( read boyfriend).



    The dad became very upset over the next few days, after having paid for the trip and not being able to see his daughter, so, according to her, he began threatening her that he would try to take custody and he went to court and got the passports taken. I think he was horrified, thinking he had been scammed. I don't blame him.



    What Brazil has done in confiscating the passports of the mother and child and involving the family courts there, when there is already a valid family court order out of the U.S, is wrong, IMO. However, I would see nothing wrong with confiscating the mother's passport until she reimbursed the father for the trip.
    I think you should be a judge. Your solution seems reasonable and fair. Thanks for all the info.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    8,522
    Will the dad ever be allowed back in the US to see his daughter? I know the present administration has deported a lot of people not here legally. Wouldn't they make an exception if one has a child born here?


  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Anaheim, CA
    Posts
    11,821
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuri View Post
    Will the dad ever be allowed back in the US to see his daughter? I know the present administration has deported a lot of people not here legally. Wouldn't they make an exception if one has a child born here?
    There are some exceptions made at times - special visas - but I don;t think he could get one in this case. I don;t think he will ever see his daughter again, after this. Unless of course it's when she's 18.
    For Travis Alexander, a human being.


    *Gitana (means "Gypsy girl"). Pronounced "hee tah nah."

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    883
    Interesting case. If/when the mother makes it back to the US, would the father have any standing to sue her for the ticket money from Brazil? Or would he have to keep her in Brazil to try to get back the money in Brazilian courts?
    If there is anything worse than the sandwiches, it is the sausages which sit next to them. Joyless tubes, full of gristle, floating in a sea of something hot and sad, stuck with a plastic pin in the shape of a chef’s hat: A memorial, one feels, for some chef who hated the world, and died, forgotten and alone among his cats on a back stair in Stepney. – Douglas Adams

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Anaheim, CA
    Posts
    11,821
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzieCat View Post
    Interesting case. If/when the mother makes it back to the US, would the father have any standing to sue her for the ticket money from Brazil? Or would he have to keep her in Brazil to try to get back the money in Brazilian courts?
    I'm not sure. Jurisdiction would be based on where the fraud occurred. It could probably be in either country.
    For Travis Alexander, a human being.


    *Gitana (means "Gypsy girl"). Pronounced "hee tah nah."



Similar Threads

  1. Bikers Against Child Abuse International
    By imamaze in forum Australia
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-02-2012, 12:06 PM
  2. Bikers Against Child Abuse International
    By imamaze in forum National and International Databases and Resources
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-02-2012, 12:05 PM
  3. PA Fugitive in '08 Child Porn Case Fled To Honduras In Custody
    By Filly in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-01-2010, 03:49 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-29-2010, 04:51 AM
  5. Starving kids' mother still in custody
    By cathieq in forum Crimes-Spotlight on Children
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-07-2006, 08:51 AM