Fancy your own island? Bonnie Prince Charlie's hideout, Wiay, a bargain at £500,000

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Not a fixer-upper - nothing to fix up. Not too far from Uist, where Orwell lived for a time - just off South Uist actually. Fine 360° view of the Outer Hebrides. Personal to Scotscentric types: could be free from English tyranny soon - fly the Saltire now!

Picturesque Scottish island that Bonnie Prince Charlie used to hide after defeat at Culloden goes on sale for £500,000
The picturesque Outer Hebridean island that Bonnie Prince Charlie used as a hideaway after his defeat at Culloden has been put up for sale for £500,000.

And Barra and Vatersay - also in the island chain - may also be about to be taken over by locals.

Wiay, which lies off the coast of South Uist, boasts the cave in which the leader of the 1745 Jacobite rebellion concealed himself for several days while being sought by British government forces.

The island has been uninhabited for over a century, although the current owners - the Chettle family from England, who bought it in 2003 - used it for holidays and summer camping. But the new owners will not have to make do with life underground or under canvas.

A ruined croft, which was once home to ten islanders, has planning permission for a new home that will provide spectacular views of the island's surroundings.
---
It is best known for playing its part in the escape of the prince following the defeat of his Jacobite forces at Culloden in 1746.

In 1745, Charles travelled to the Highlands to raise the Scottish clans in rebellion against the current British monarch - King George II, of the house of Hanover.

His plan was to make his father James Stuart, the 'Old Pretender', king.

But after Culloden, he fled west and was transported to the Outer Hebrides by boat in an eight-hour voyage in atrocious conditions. He eventually sought shelter in a cave on Wiay, now known as 'Prince Charlie's Rest', while his followers kept watch for the British navy.
---
Prince Charles spent the next few weeks in hiding, employing several disguises. He lived like a commoner and ate drammach, a type of oatmeal mixed raw with seawater.
---
much more, with pictures of your future home, at the Mail link

wfg, you are such a tease! I thought you had found my new little get-away place, but read on to see that it's only 970 acres. I'll have to keep shopping.

wfg, you are such a tease! I thought you had found my new little get-away place, but read on to see that it's only 970 acres. I'll have to keep shopping.
There's the cave, and probably several other caves as well. Lots of acreage to be had in a cave - so you'd need to count those areas double.

The hide away cave is full of charm! Love the old timbers propped up under the moss covered rock.

Perfect spot for British Navy watching! I wonder if the British Navy is a migratory Navy or native to the area. I gotta go get my binoculars.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back