652 users online (77 members and 575 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

LA - Taranika Nichelle Raymond, 13, New Orleans, 13 Nov 1995

Taranika's Charley Project Profile, which can be viewed at http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/...taranika.html:

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

Missing Since: November 13, 1995 from New Orleans, Louisiana
    Classification: Endangered Runaway
    Date of Birth: July 6, 1982
    Height and Weight: 5'3, 165 pounds
    Distinguishing Characteristics: African-American female. Black hair, brown eyes. Taranika's hair was long at the time of her disappearance. Her ears are pierced and she has a dimple on the left side of her face.
    Clothing/Jewelry Description: Gold apple earrings with "Tara" written on them, a gold apple ring with "Tara" written on it and a gold medallion ring with "Tara" and "Betty" written on it.

Details of Disappearance

Taranika was last seen at 10:00 p.m. on November 13, 1995 at her home in on north Derbigny Street in New Orleans, Louisiana. When her mother checked on her two hours later, she had disappeared. Authorities believe Taranika left of her own accord. She may still be in the New Orleans area. Her case remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency
    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
    New Orleans Police Department
    504-826-1265

Source Information
    The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children
    The Times-Picayune
    NamUs

Updated 1 time since October 12, 2004.

Last updated November 5, 2010; clothing/jewelry description added, distinguishing characteristics updated.

This is another case that seems strange to me. The circumstances of her disappearance look like a typical abduction: parents leave home and leave their children alone, parents come home and find that their child is not home. But Taranika is listed as a runaway, and there's just so much about this case that we don't know about. I'm guessing they didn't find evidence of forced entry, since LE believes Taranika apparently left of her own accord. Taranika had a brother, who was seven at the time, and he became a victim of a homicide 10 years after her disappearance, but I doubt the two cases are connected. Her brother had been charged with homicide and Taranika was listed as surviving him. I can't find any reason as to why Taranika would run away, since she was apparently a straight-A student who was well behaved (I found that out in a CNN article), and she didn't come from a troubled home, according to family friends and family members who commented on Meaghan's blog. Her family does not suspect foul play took part in her disappearance; they think she is alive and they wish to locate her. I really hope she is alive too. She's been missing for almost 2 decades now.

Taranika went missing and then her little brother died a decade later. How sad.
    I hope her family can locate her. It is strange that she was written off so quickly as a runaway at 13. Even if she did runaway...a 13 year old cannot make it out there alone and someone is bound to take advantage of them so there should have been a big search for her....
    "All your life, all your love, all your hate, all your memory, all your pain, it was all the same thing. It was all the same dream—a dream that you had inside a locked room. A dream about being a person.” - True Detective

Help Save the Next Girl. http://helpsavethenextgirl.com

Help Find Shane Fell. Http://helpfindshanefell.com

It's been so long. Her family has been through a lot and I hope they will find Taranika one day.

Meagan from Charley Project always says that runaways usually contact their families again after a while, even after several years. It's been almost 2 decades now in this case and Taranika would most likely have her own family by now and reached out to her loved ones in New Orleans.

I hope she's alive somewhere out there.

Taranika has been missing for 19 years this month. Hoping for answers.

Why does law enforcement think that Tara ran away anyway? A young girl, who is an honor student, I might add disappeared from a likely not-so-safe area(doesn't New Orleans have a really high crime rate?) at night when her parents weren't home doesn't exactly scream "runaway" to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuuro View Post
    Why does law enforcement think that Tara ran away anyway? A young girl, who is an honor student, I might add disappeared from a likely not-so-safe area(doesn't New Orleans have a really high crime rate?) at night when her parents weren't home doesn't exactly scream "runaway" to me.
    I don't get how law enforcement had and still is classifying Taranika as a runaway either. Not sure if New Orleans was that dangerous of a city in 1995 as it was for a while after Hurricane Katrina struck. New Orleans has started appearing less and less on top dangerous city lists now that they have been getting back on their feet after they were struck by Katrina. Not to mention a lot of people from New Orleans relocated to Houston, Texas after Hurricane Katrina moving Houston up to the fourth most populated city in the US.

Bumping for Tara. Where is she?

Does anyone know the circumstances of Taranika's brother's murder? Just wondering if it could be related somehow...

Quote Originally Posted by wdmcmahan View Post
    Does anyone know the circumstances of Taranika's brother's murder? Just wondering if it could be related somehow...
    The brother was shot in 2005 at 16. I think he was murdered by rival gang members (he was involved in crime and was rumored to have shot another person to death)